Tyrion

Who needs a rig when you got cardboard boxes?

well the vid didnt show him walk away...

looks like a cool jump to me,i will preffere my BASEgear and my pc in my hand throgh:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I thought the shit I do was stupid untill I saw that boy was I wrong
Shane Murphy
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

Is there anybody here who knows how to build such a cardboard-box-landing-matress?

Im kinda interested to try it out, but couldnt find it on the www.
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!

Is there anybody here who knows how to build such a cardboard-box-landing-matress?

I got a short lecture on it from some of the SLC BASE jumpers a while back. It sounds like the key is to use uniform size boxes (they said 1 foot cubes) and be sure there are no gaps between them.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The stunt school I went to covered them breifly. If I remember right you want to use bigger boxes. They call them "box rigs" and all the ones we saw were probably 2.5ft x 2ft boxes. I remember thinking you would stack them like bricks, but I'm pretty sure you don't, you stack them directly on top of each other. They should all be the same size. I emailed one of the teachers at the school asking for more info, I'll let you know what he says.

In that video, from the looks of the size of that rig and the speed that he went right through it, I highly doubt he was ok. Mayble alive, but almost definitely messed up bad.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

I forgot to say awesome performance by that guy.

We did "backfalls", where you do a base exit backwards, back to earth. We did "face off's" where you do a base exit belly to earth and then use your hips to roll to your back. And we did "headers" where you go head down and roll to your back. He did a gainer and impacted right on his back. I'm guessing he has lots of practice.

Also I watched the box rig closer and it's about 15 feet high. I still doubt that he didn't hit the ground real hard, but maybe he wasn't messed up as bad as I thought.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

For what it's worth, he also seems to be wearing some kind of back protection. This guy's obviously very good at what he does.

Michael

I'd really like to know if this guy walked away from this.

I guess one wouldnt have to worry about ankle protection.

He seems to have done two jumps..one with a camera helmet, and one without...or did I miss a sports-cam/pen-camera in there somewhere?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I got some more info from my stunt teacher.

Use boxes that are uniform and around 2 X 2. Put layers of flat boxes every two layers... Tie the whole thing with climbing rope around the edges... You can either stack or interlay, but it is usually easier to stack. Usually people put a mat or heavy blanket on top...
~Dan Osman

I wonder what the record box fall is? I want to put a 20meter deep layer of boxes for a km diameter around an A thats 600meters high. just track for a new spot every time. this is, of course, if we can take a terminal impact into boxes.

they are layered? as in bigger boxes top layer, smaller as the depth increases? less dense on top?

quit making me think of things that are impossible or too expensive.

They should all be uniform from what he said, not bigger boxes on top, but I was asking about a 10ft fall, it might be a different strategy for a bigger box rig.
~Dan Osman

I wonder what the record box fall is?

its just about 100m/300ft done by a dane.. ill see if i can find the link..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i saw those on the tele.

that is sweet though, closeing in on terminal. it can be done. but accuracy is a question then. (weeeeee)

but i was talking about box falls. I could build a box target, but a airbag is VERY spendy.

my bad.. but hey you´ll never see me in freefall like that.. thats sick he he

Stay safe
Stefan Faber