mostwanted

adjust brake setting - new eyelets necessary?

i admit: i do not know anything about rigging (as yet) - so this may be crap. sorry if so.

if you want to adjust your breakes for base e.g. after some skydives with your base-canopy don't you also have to setup new eyelets on the break lines?

how is that done? do you need a rigger to do this?

It's not difficult to work out how this very basic system works.

Your post displays a shocking level of ignorance of your equipment OR the tendency to ask questions without even thinking about them yourself - expecting to be spoon fed the answers.

It doesn't really portray the quick thinking jumper that knows his gear inside out that you should be to give youself the best chance of surviving a few seasons.

I strongly suggest you take up a more forgiving sport or learn a lot before you continue.

Maybe you are just tired, hungover and bored in work....

hi LukeH,

thank you for your reply.

It's not difficult to work out how this very basic system works.

good to hear. i am looking forward to your description.

Your post displays a shocking level of ignorance of your equipment OR the tendency to ask questions without even thinking about them yourself - expecting to be spoon fed the answers.

well, i do not own any base-gear and have bought my first skydiving rig only a few weeks ago.

It doesn't really portray the quick thinking jumper that knows his gear inside out that you should be to give youself the best chance of surviving a few seasons.

you are 100% right.

I strongly suggest you take up a more forgiving sport or learn a lot before you continue.

i have not even started. my profile says 42 skydives...

only interested.

but maybe you are just tired, hungover and bored in work.

i have not even started. my profile says 42 skydives...

only interested.

I don't mean to sound like an ass but why would person with 42 skydives be interested in rigging BASE setups ? And what would he benefit from the knowledge ? Take it slow and learn about skydiving and basic rigging skills in skydiving enviroment. There is lot learn there and I wouldn't suggest on cutting corners and going straigth for BASE specific skills. After couple of hundred skydives and experiments on different canopies you'll have much more experience and you'll be able to figure much more stuff out without asking it from the internet. To be honest at 42 skydives you have no idea if you are ever to become even a skydiver let alone BASE jumper. BASE might look cool and sound interesting and sure, it is cool to have heaps of theoretic knowledge about something so extreme like BASE jumping so you can impress your mates on the DZ or chicks at the DZ bar.

Don't take this as unneccesary criticism and feel free to ignore this post if you think it was out of order.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It seems there is no way to please existing BASE jumpers.

I've slammed my fair share of wannabe BASE jumpers, but MostWanted is not one of them. So what that he's asking things extremely early in a possible career? Generally his questions are the ones that a search provide no answer for yet. And he has provably devoured these forums and the BASE wiki.

I see two possible outcomes...

The first is that MostWanted loses his interest in BASE and skydiving. Good for him, at least he still got to enjoy the excitement of this little online community for a while. Maybe he added some threads with questions that could have been answered with more time in rigging, but I've seen posts less useful (or this one, geez)

The second possible outcome is that MostWanted does one day make a BASE jump. Possibly too soon in his career, or possibly after having made a gazillion skydives. Either way, he's not going to get hurt for having asked questions too soon in his career.

Edited for spelling error.

talk to a master rigger. he or she can guide you in the correct rigging direction. such rigging issues should be asked online in the rigging forum of dz.com but a face to face interaction with a master rigger would be far safe and far more productive.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

If you want to adjust your brakes for base e.g. after some skydives with your base-canopy don't you also have to setup new eyelets on the break lines?

I'm not a rigger so excuse me for not knowing what eyelets are. But I'll assume that you're talking about some sort of loop construct. Those can exist in several places on the brake-line.

One where the four or five line cascade to your canopy starts. 99 percent of BASE jumpers never have to change this location.

Some loops exist where your DBS, SBS and other brake-settings are. These you definitely want to change (in the likely event that your factory settings are not optimal).

The last loop is possibly at the bottom of your brake-line, where the toggle connects. Alternatively the line doesn't have a loop at the end, but you can tie a knot in it and attach the toggle that way (see the CR canopy manual for more information). If you want to change the brake-line length when you have a loop at this end, you'll have to set a new "eyelet" yes. If you have no loop here, but just a knot; you can change the brake-line length in five minutes by shifting the knot up and down.

That's the main reason why I prefer the knot over the loop; it's easier to experiment with different brake-line lengths. I've moved the toggles on my Blackjack up a good five inches. That said, I use the same length on my slider-up and slider-down jumps.

Edited to add: rereading MostWanted's question, I guess he is referring to the brake-settings. I wasn't sure in light of the other current thread about brake-line length.

To change your brake settings, you will need to remove the old "eyelets" and install new ones.

This is done by taking a small length of line and "finger trapping" it on each end into the brake line. If you feel around the existing eyelets on your gear, you'll be able to feel the difference in thickness because of the finger trapping. Once the line is in place, it needs to be sewn in. This is easy enough if you have a sewing machine.

You may also need to remove the old eyelets before installing new ones. In that case, you will spend a while picking the original stitches (with a stitch ripper or scissors), remove the short piece of line, and install the new one.

To do a good job of it, you'll need to have attention to detail, but not a rigger's seal. As with anything in BASE, a rigger isn't required, just rigging skills.

If you aren't completely sure that you can remove the old eyelets and install the new ones where you want them (obviously the sides need to be even, and you will need to be able to account for "shrinkage" due to finger trapping), it's best to have someone with the relevant skills do it for you.

Michael

if you want to adjust your breakes for base e.g. after some skydives with your base-canopy don't you also have to setup new eyelets on the break lines?

how is that done? do you need a rigger to do this?

It's best to have a rigger, or be one.

It's fairly easy to do, but you do need some specialty equipment.

The brake setting is (usually--there is another way to do it that is less common) a piece of the same suspension line which is fingertrapped through the control line (often threaded in and out for multiple brake settings). Fingertrapping is essentially inserting one line inside another one.

After the line is fingertrapped in, you'll want to sew it in place. Most people (myself included) prefer to use a bar tack stitch for this task. Unfortunately bartackers (the sewing machine that makes this stitch) are reasonably expensive, and not too common in some places (we've only just gotten our first one in the local community here in Twin Falls, for example). You can "field rig" with some other sewing machine, but I'd recommend using the bar tack for long term settings.

That means you need a fingertrapping tool (easy enough to make from 40 cents worth of standard wire), some extra suspension line (which can be purchased from many sources, but you need so little that most riggers will have some they'll give you) and a sewing machine capable of putting in a bar tack (which means you need to find a rigger, who, conveniently, can show you the rest of the process).

Hope that helps. I know it's vague, but I don't have the time to draw up diagrams on fingertrapping right now.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

[B]don't let people talking down to you stop you from asking questions here.

i looked @ your profile and i admire you for using a raven 3 as a main to simulate your future BASE jumping/landing. i didn't do that!! i wish i would have. i just recently started SKYjumping my BASE canopy's. i had 300 skydives before i did BASE and just before i went on my first jump course i SKYjumped a FOXcanopy only 3 times!

I also never even looked at the BASE zone until june of 2006 (i had 38 BASE jumps up to that point) to ask all of my ignorant questions wish i would have as well.

people really need to stop attacking people on here who ask "IGNORANT" questions. that's what this forums for the ignorant to learn.
NPS SUX ASS

don't let people talking down to you stop you from asking questions here.

Right on! If you've searched something out and can't find an answer and can't reach/don't know a experenced BASE jumper to ask (or would like other opinions), ask away. If a few kids flame you over it, ignore them.

And right on ya for practicing your skills on a 7cell and trying to learn some rigging info. It will make you a better canopy pilot regardless of what avenue you take. Good luck.

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

... " well, i do not own any base-gear and have bought my first skydiving rig only a few weeks ago. "
WTF ? are you Trolling ? Is that Not you doing a BASE jump on your Avatar pic. ?

... " well, i do not own any base-gear and have bought my first skydiving rig only a few weeks ago. "
WTF ? are you Trolling ? Is that Not you doing a BASE jump on your Avatar pic. ?

no, it is only a ropejump.

AHhhh, tied to a rope FF.
BASE site Pic. Looks like FF off bridge with halfway decent body position for BASE.
or Maybe you just forgot to put your Rig on. ...:P

i found this in the troll manual which i found somewhere on the internet some time ago:

Atair also advises you to tune your brake settings by making subsequent skydives on
the canopy.

To make adjustments to the brake settings, mark the stall point on the brake lines at
the level of the guide ring using a marker pen. Consult an experienced rigger when
adjusting the position of the deep brake and normal brake setting position.

does that mean that you should mark the stallpoint on the brake lines while you are flying the canopy? how is that done? you need both hands to pull both breakes, don't you?

does that mean that you should mark the stallpoint on the brake lines while you are flying the canopy? how is that done? you need both hands to pull both breakes, don't you?

Yes, you should mark them in flight. You can hold both toggles in one hand and bring them down directly in front of you (it's usually helpful to find the stall point with both hands first). This is best done on a skydive, when you have lots of time and few obstructions, although I have (foolishly) done it off a span once or twice (and lost a cellphone on a water landing in the process).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com