douggs

fatality in oz (not base)

hello all,
i hate to start the new year off like this but benni the ice man went in this evening during a skydiving??? demo at a huge trance party on the outskirts of byron bay,australia. he was dead on impact.
i do know the details of what happened but i cannot release them because of the situation and the people involved. please respect that for now and dont hassle people or myself for details. all i can say that it was 100% human error.
for those of you who dont know benni the ice man, he was a legendary dude with a heart of gold with an apetite for fun bigger than anyone i have met. he was a full on guy that you couldnt help but love. i taught him to base jump in norway a few years ago and he just came over to australia for an indefinate holiday of crazyness and fun,his weeks here were all time and he definately made the most out of every second. those of you who know him will know what i mean about him.
your a legend benni, one of a kind and you will definately be missed.
PLEASE everyone be careful out there and never think you are bigger and better than mother earth. she will win every time.
sad days yet again.
be safe everyone
love douggs:(

RIP Benni...was looking to hook up with you this coming year..fly on

:(:(:(
there is a thread just started in the incidents forum

Fly Free Benni The Iceman
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

OH NO, this is sad news
First Coombsy now Benni [:/][:/][:/][:/]

Benni was a fun guy, I hung out with him a fair bit at Funny Farm last year very sorry to hear this[:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Bad news :-( We had a really nice summer in Norway, will never forget it... You are a legend

RIP Benni

Be careful out there, the ground is hard

:( hiked up kjerag with you and enjoyed watching you in your sugar glider. fly free benni

Sad days brother. We had a blast in Norway and was looking forward to seeing him in Iceland. Thanks for the fun times, the laughs and the invite to your country bro. Too soon for damn sure.
Matt

This is really sad news, Benni just spent Christmas with Coombsey's sister and me also yesterday we spread some of my son Anthony's (Coombsey) ashes at one of his favourite spots Minyon Falls in Northern NSW, he had taken Benni there last Year. I really feel for his mother as I know as a mother what it is like having your son die away from family.
I don't know how the angels are going to cope with Coombsey and the Ice Man
Benni was full of life and a great mate to Anthony
Jump safely everyone
Coombesy's Mum

Hi all,

I'm a reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald. I know this is not a good time for anyone who knew Benni, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to have a talk about him?

I can promise the conversation WILL NOT be about his death, but rather about his life - what kind of a guy he was, why everyone liked him so much, those kind of things.

If anyone is willing to talk, and I understand if you're not, I'm contactable on [email protected].

Cheers,
Dylan Welch
Reporter
Sydney Morning Herald

Previous article by this reporter on the incident drawing heavily on this thread

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/benni-the-ice-mans-last-jump/2007/01/08/1168104893073.html

Also buy the same reporter, slightly different to the SMH article, including this:

Benni and another jumper leapt out of a helicopter at 2500 feet.

But police say the tourist's parachute did not open until very late in his descent, and then incorrectly.

He crashed into trees and then struck the ground "in the immediate vicinity" of the festival, a police spokesman investigating the case said.

"The ropes, it looks like they became tangled and the parachute didn't open properly [and] it opened late and did not fill until approximately tree level," he said.

... my condolences to family and friends.
Fly forever free Iceman.
Maury

what?
no.......:(

what is going on....its like wartime....

fly free bro....see you..........

Thanks for a great week at Funny Farm, Benni. Really nice getting to know you.

Fly free, mate[:/]
Sometimes I act before I think...OK!OK! Pretty much all the time!

Benni was a member of our little skydivers family here in Iceland. He was a man with heart of Gold and spirit which loved to fly. There is now a huge gap in our family which will never be filled.

We do send our condolences to all of his family members and of his big group of friends which he loved to base and skydive with.

Fly Free and fly high my bro...

Hjortur

---------------------------------------------------------
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway !

thanks for all the good times and your support during the bad ones.
you will be missed mate.

miss you Benni... until we meet again
:(jen
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Very bad news,,very sad start on the new year,,,,
I had some very good,fun, sweet, crazy moments with you Benni, You will truly be missed man..

All my condolence goes out there to his family and friends in Iceland, and all around the world..
Benjamin love you brother,, fly free.