everymansaved

Edmonton, AB 'A' Bust??

Hey all, so my wife told me that someone got busted jumping a 300' A inside the city of Edmonton, AB today sometime during the day today, does anyone have any details? I know there's not much of a BASE community here, so maybe someone from Calgary will know? Now, I'm not a BASE jumper yet, but isn't this kind of a bad idea? A commercial 'A' inside the city, in the middle of the day!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was kind of told never ever before midnight, and preferably between 4 and 6 AM? Oh well, hopefully the city will have forgotten about it before I start jumping in a few years.

Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

The bust was at 3:00am, not the middle of the day.

I'm sure eventually the details will come out. I kindly ask we let this thread rest for the moment, pending legal action.

Edited to add: Sean, I will pass your request for details to the locals involved and let them decide if they want to inform you or not. Thanks...

Ahhh, like I said, I heard it third party. Thanks.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

News report here gives the time as 3:00 am.

Legal action is stil pending in this case. Please conduct yourself accordingly in posting.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey, that is a sweet looking little Free-Stander they got there though.

yeah, there's 2 or 3

an urban skydiver

how very dare they..

Not true. 300' is too short to make an urban skydive from. He must have jumped from a plane or heli.

Not true. 300' is too short to make an urban skydive from. He must have jumped from a plane or heli.

From the article in the Edmonton Journal "He initially claimed he had jumped from an airplane but later admitted to having taken the dive from a nearby communications tower."

We all know the accuracy of the media is normally very lacking. However there were no aircraft involved with this jump.

As Tom has said, charges are pending and this case has made the local media in a large way (BASE jumping is not as well known in the Edmonton area). Let it run through its 15 minutes of fame so the individual can go back under the radar.

Personally I think he owes BEER as it was his first arrest, however he claims this is only applicable for "Skydiving" related events.

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Personally I think he owes BEER as it was his first arrest, however he claims this is only applicable for "Skydiving" related events.

He is correct. Also, there is an established rule in BASE that whenever a skydiver wrongly tries to claim beer from a BASE jumper for a BASE first that said skydiver then has to buy the BASE jumper a bottle of single malt of the BASE jumper's choice.

Sorry, but when you try to enforce skydiving rules in BASE you have to be punished. Hope your friend enjoys his whiskey. :)

I'll gladly buy him an ale of his choice. He can drown his sorrows about his rig being in the police lockup while mine is in my closet (waiting for spring). B|

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Now, I'm not a BASE jumper yet, but isn't this kind of a bad idea? A commercial 'A' inside the city, in the middle of the day!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was kind of told never ever before midnight, and preferably between 4 and 6 AM?
Sean LR

From what I read he did everything right! Sometimes just bad luck is to blame such as in this case. At least it is Canada which means he will get his rig back and probably before spring! Bummer dude!!
SabreDave

From what I read he did everything right! Sometimes just bad luck is to blame such as in this case.

That's my impression too. Too bad doode, if you were to have jumped maybe 30 seconds earlier you might not have been spotted...

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

From what I read he did everything right! Sometimes just bad luck is to blame such as in this case.

That's my impression too. Too bad doode, if you were to have jumped maybe 30 seconds earlier you might not have been spotted...

Possibly but that tower is also located on the same property as an ambulance station. And it's on a busy traffic circle that feeds the two major arteries into downtown Edmonton. It's a busy place.

'Shell
(who knows this because it's located about 6 blocks from my house)
'Shell

Indeed. It is quite a busy place.

Come on folks, we all know BASE jumpers are like unicorns, they don't exist!!!! Urban legend and nothing more.........

Probably just an out of control traction kiter that caught some air. My best guess anyway......
SabreDave