RPetrie

What Constitutes a Building

That big circular thing we climbed inside of and breathed asbestos fibers was a smokestack.

That big thing that you took your prom date to to pork her was a B. An abandoned one but still a B.

Nah it aint that difficult.. I just wouldnt place a tree as a quallifying object..
As oldshool you should see the challenged in getting the right objects as quallifying,instead of jumping

Chimney=B
Gasstower=A
That big tower in Paris(between the legs on the inside=S
Dam=E

Personaly i would Quallify all the above objects as Special or Other or actualy as they are..And would never even as it might would be cool,use them as Quallifying objects.. but thats my respect to the #´s is that so hard to understand?

I think that this is the point that the original post was trying to make. Qualifying for your BASE # should be just that!...Jumping the objects which make up the acronym. We all know what BASE stands for. Part of the challenge of getting your BASE # should be jumping all of these specific objects, rather than jumping other things and saying that they are something that they are not, just to get your #. Nothing about BASE jumping changes just b/c objects that don't fit into one of the original categories are jumped...That just makes it even better, right?

We all know what BASE stands for.

apparently not...

sad. [:/]

"BASE" was defined by Carl B.
NickDG reminded us of the original definition.

BASE numbers are assigned based on claims, not documented, photographed evidence. it is an honor system. thus people have chosen to redefine "BASE" as they see fit.

as an honor system, there seems little point in lawyering it to death...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Qualifying for your BASE # should be just that!...Jumping the objects which make up the acronym. We all know what BASE stands for. Part of the challenge of getting your BASE # should be jumping all of these specific objects, rather than jumping other things and saying that they are something that they are not, just to get your #.

I have to agree with this some what.....

Getting a number because you class your chimney / Grain Silo / concrete tower / dam as a B, well, in your heart you know whats right or wrong...

>>A smoke stack is a damn smoke stack...if it wasn't it would be called a building<<

For purposes of a BASE award here's the classic definition.

If the wind blows around it, it's a Building.

If the wind blow through it, it' an Antenna

If the wind blows underneath it, it's a Span

If the wind blows over it, it's an Earth

Using the above a dam is an Earth jump and a smoke stack is a Building.

>>And IMO it also has to be occupied on a regular basis to count as a true B.<<

What bullshit! You guys kill me, whata do, just fucking make it up as you go along?

There was a bankrupt skyscraper in Florida that was never occupied and we jumped it a lot. What that not a building? How about all the other buildings I've jumped that weren't even finished being built yet . . . ? ? ?

NickD :)BASE 194

What would you called a skijumptower..like Planica in Slovenia..is it a B or maybe a S?????;)

Hey BASE Folks:

Surprise Surprise, the correct answer is nearly ALL OF THE ABOVE. It does involve the Honor System since We rarely ask for proof of any jump. There are many right answers as to what is a B, A S or E. I knew and jumped with Carl. Smitty and I were the closest jump friends here in Houston from 82 to 87. I was the last elected Ex. Dir. of USBA after Carl died so I know the history of all of the theories. Carl did try to find a way to fit all objects in one of the 4 categories. It was the idea of BASE representing in one word , all fixed objects based mostly on the unique hazards of the objects. I use the same philosophy. That is where the wind thing came from since wind is our main enemy that is different with each of the categories. Joy and I operate on trust and the honor system. If a jumper wants to count a big smokestack wth the same wind and 180 opening problems as a B, then it's a B. If it is a real B but is unoccupied, it is still a B since it is the same hazards, The main difference an occupied downtown B represents is the arrest scare factor. That is an added rush after the escape, but it doesn't mean a vacant building is not a good B, it is. I must admit, my most memorable Buildings were downtown skyscrapers involving outwitting security and making a clean escape. An added rush I wish we didn't have to endure but Smitty and I always shook hands twice. First after we landed unhurt and second, after we got on the road and escaped.
For all jumps, we look at the relative hazard and are flexible with the category if it's reasonable. Most jumpers actually wait until they get all 4 righteous objects.
Personally, I believe you should do a real skyscraper, even a short one with people, guards, and downtown to get the true thrill of a real B, and several folks I've encouraged to do so thanked me when they did. It's a real rush. Most Whuffos know what a Building is. After you do it you will know for sure.

Dams. are Earth jumps even if occupied since they present the same wind and object strike hazards as an E. Many things can be towers, including smokestacks. But if you want the real rush, do a real antenna with wires at night. They make a huge psychological and real hazard on a dark night over smokestacks or free standing towers. We'll count the others, but when you do the real thing, youre gut will know.
Keep Celebrating the Human Spirit!!!
Rick Harrison
Cliffleaper
BASE 38

Hey Rick and Yoy
As you say people should try the real stuff,At least thats how i feel it..

Im not telling people right or wrong i tell what i think..

I did all my 4 objects on real basis(well not sure if the 240ft B were a skyscraber:ph34r:) I got a satisfaction after i jumped the objects and could truly say that i jumped them.

To me a Dam can NEVER be an E,E is earth,no human can make that..
But a Dam is a cool thing to jump,personaly i log it as a dam.. I think it need its own place of respect instead of calling it a E or B.

But thats me:P

Ps atleast i can tell from ALL my jumps the dif if it were a B or a chimney i jumped;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Rick and Yoy
As you say people should try the real stuff,At least thats how i feel it..

Im not telling people right or wrong i tell what i think..

I did all my 4 objects on real basis(well not sure if the 240ft B were a skyscraber:ph34r:) I got a satisfaction after i jumped the objects and could truly say that i jumped them.

To me a Dam can NEVER be an E,E is earth,no human can make that..
But a Dam is a cool thing to jump,personaly i log it as a dam.. I think it need its own place of respect instead of calling it a E or B.

But thats me:P

Ps atleast i can tell from ALL my jumps the dif if it were a B or a chimney i jumped;)

just out of interest... who did get you your B and E :P

just out of interest... who did get you your B and E :P

I did myself,the video clearly shows me standing alone on top of both objects:P,but thanks for sharing the objects,its sure i wouldnt have got my # before alot later if it wasnt for your help..

Your done wanking yourself by now?
Perhaps you can show me a UK S then(perhaps the one we visited?,im ready now..I know it will be my lowest so far but i think its doable;)) So i can get my UK BASE#(bummer think they dont do them anymore..[:/])

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hi Faber. Thanks for your comments and I can appreciate that earths are not man made until people guys in Indiana and other States started jumping quaries. Rightous. Anyway, we try to fit things in the original 4 categories, but when a few of us jumped a train, we were kidding about either HOBO BASE or BASET. We decided to log it as a Span. Anyway, we're pretty liberal but you are right, it's best to feel a real big cliff and a nice real building.
Rick H.

Hope this posts as Cliffleaper and not Joy. Tom was pimping me about re registering and I did it, hopefully.
Cliffleaper.
Rick Harrison

chill out old dude you might get a heart attack

What i were saying were that people shouldnt just look black n white..

The oldshool vs new age were a joke sorry you miseed my pointe..

But dont worry i hope to never be a oldshool

I think you should eagerly anticipate some of the advantages that come with age.

I was a very rude and disrespectful young man. My offensive manners made it appear that my parents had no idea how to raise children properly. I'm glad I outgrew that.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Becourse you say your oppinions dosnt mean your rude.

Infact if you get the age were you cant learn from any age in this sport then it might be time to quit...

I truly belive that Nick is of the same belif.
We were dissussing 2 aspects of the acronym,even as i agree in what Nick says about the 4 object im also sure he think im correct in some of what im saying;) Its called respect and understanding from both sides..

If this sport were black white and evrything the oldshool said were the law,i has to say im out of it(atleast this public part).
The day a 17year old whith 50 jumps under his belt telling me to consern about certain things and im just ignoring what he/she tells me,that day i have become too old and no longer has the right mind to stay in this sport.

My offensive manners made it appear that my parents had no idea how to raise children properly. I'm glad I outgrew that.

Well i guess it depend,if what you said truly were correct are you then still happy that you outgrew that?

We has to respect our elders as they should respect us..If either side dosnt we has nothing together...

oh and you should treat people in a way you expect people to treat you..

I have said nothing in this tread that i wouldnt say up front to any in this tread,as i expect them to be abel to tell me the same up front aswell..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

my own personal definition of a B is...its got floors,doors and windows it has streets around it and all the associated urban hazards to go with it. It is a place where 'the man' is more prevalent than your average smoke stacks and grain silos...its a place where you will have all the urges to walk down,quit jumping,piss your pants or worse,call your loved ones and probably improve your quality of life..someplace you expect the super unexpected curve ball is gonna bite your ass and usually does...

i guess if you need to ask if its a B it probably isnt one...

just my one pence (thats two american cents)

Since when? I am often of the opinion that some people are ugly, smelly or brain-dead stupid, but usually try to avoid mentioning it to them at the risk of being rude.

"chill out old dude you might get a heart attack" goes a bit beyond a simple statement of your opinion.

You obviously misconstrued Nick's totally innocuous message indicating his position that most of today's BASE jumpers are too young to remember his BASELINE magazine as a personal affront.

In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when? I am often of the opinion that some people are ugly, smelly or brain-dead stupid, but usually try to avoid mentioning it to them at the risk of being rude.

Fair point,i however tell people what i think as i expect them to tell me the same.

So beeing brain-dead stupied on a exitpoint wont make you chim in? I would tell no matter who it is what i think about their actions if i dont think its a good idea.. hopefule some day it can save some one..
And if i happen to do somthing wrong i expect my buddys to tell me so if they see it aswell.

"chill out old dude you might get a heart attack" goes a bit beyond a simple statement of your opinion.

Well i cant have a oppinion about Nick having a heart attack can i?
Please read the blackhumor/sarcasm/joke at a to me old fella..

You obviously misconstrued Nick's totally innocuous message indicating his position that most of today's BASE jumpers are too young to remember his BASELINE magazine as a personal affront.

first off i dont understand all the words so sorry if i dont read that right..

I can see no link between Nicks BASELINE magazine(which i never saw) and i cant see what his effort in informing BASEpeople years back has to do whith todays post..

Please help me to see that..

Funny thing is that here on the boards i see Americans asking for respect for their elders,i never saw such a thing in real life specialy not in US,but i only had one trip so far so thats might why..

Respect only works both ways,I do belive Nick respect the new onese and i do respect him,i dont think his more than any of my jump buddyes,but neither do i think about J## C. ,i respect him from what his doing,i know his respect to other BASEjumpers as equal(as i see it).

well more than that lets take it to pm or mail,no need to spam this board more than this.
Atleast thats my oppinion

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

What about a 320' mobile digging shovel complete with offices, sleeping quarters, lunch rooms, toilets and a gift shop?? Must be a building then eh??

I'm with Sean621 on this - if you gotta ask then it probably 'aint. But if you persevere I'm sure you'll eventually find someone who will agree and give the answer you wanna hear so you can feel justified in logging that "B" or whatever.

If it quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck.... but if it moos like a cow then is 'aint no duck!

Go figure.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

If it climbs like a hippo, lands like a hippo and smells like a hippo- then it's a hippo!
DTM.

What about a 320' mobile digging shovel complete with offices, sleeping quarters, lunch rooms, toilets and a gift shop??

That's fuckin sweet bro!

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

What about a 320' mobile digging shovel complete with offices, sleeping quarters, lunch rooms, toilets and a gift shop?? Must be a building then eh??

I'd log that as an O with a footnote that i just jumped a monster machine....and i'd be proud to say it didn't fit into any freaking category. B's are ten a penny, that is unique.

As for a previous poster's classification of a dam, a smokestack and a water tower as a building............................WHATEVER deperado!!!

Oh, and when it comes to the Wind definition, it doesn't work. A building under-construction with just the poured floors in lets wind blow through it like an antenna, and there are many solid antennas where the wind blows around them.

The best way to classify an object is to ask a non jumper or go with how you would describe it to a non jumper without thinking. At least you maintain your integrity if you do that.

Imagine an horizon with a variety of objects at varying distances. There's an tall office block, a smokestack, and dam in the far distance. You have only jumped the dam. Would you say to your friend -

"i jumped that building over there" If yes, would he be thinking about the correct object?

If it's ambiguous then it lacks integrity.

ian

Oh, and when it comes to the Wind definition, it doesn't work...

The best way to classify an object is to ask a non jumper or go with how you would describe it to a non jumper without thinking. At least you maintain your integrity if you do that.

it just seems wrong to accept Carl's vision, Carl's name, blatantly defy his definition, and yet claim you have "integrity."
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

And IMO it also has to be occupied on a regular basis to count as a true B

Huh? If I smack the side of a B, my body won't give a damn if people live in it, work in it, or if it's being remodeled. A B is a B because of the unique hazards they represent (winds, solid object, urban landing area with associated hazards)

In the end, geting busted is a mere inconvience to yourself and fellow jumpers...it is in no way a matter of life or death.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary