RPetrie

What Constitutes a Building

I know this has probably been talked about 3 million times I'm just too lazy to go back and find the thread. Just curious though what everyone thinks on this, and also how many people are filthy cheaters. Can't wait to get the hateful responses.

BTW....just kidding about my harsh opinions on what actually constitutes a building....just curious really.

No really ..... you should be ashamed of yourself.
A smoke stack is a damn smoke stack...if it wasn't it would be called a building.

Same thing goes for "Grain Elevators" people, and you know who I'm talkin to!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Come visit and I'll show you one.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

And IMO it also has to be occupied on a regular basis to count as a true B. Technically there is a smokestack that fits this definition, since there was an office with all the amenities 1/2 way up the thing.
-TJ

what about a massive concrete structure that people live in....? where's that option? that's a b!!!

smoke stacks rock........ but their turbulance is minimal...

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

>>A smoke stack is a damn smoke stack...if it wasn't it would be called a building<<

For purposes of a BASE award here's the classic definition.

If the wind blows around it, it's a Building.

If the wind blow through it, it' an Antenna

If the wind blows underneath it, it's a Span

If the wind blows over it, it's an Earth

Using the above a dam is an Earth jump and a smoke stack is a Building.

>>And IMO it also has to be occupied on a regular basis to count as a true B.<<

What bullshit! You guys kill me, whata do, just fucking make it up as you go along?

There was a bankrupt skyscraper in Florida that was never occupied and we jumped it a lot. What that not a building? How about all the other buildings I've jumped that weren't even finished being built yet . . . ? ? ?

NickD :)BASE 194

>>And IMO it also has to be occupied on a regular basis to count as a true B.<<

What bullshit! You guys kill me, whata do, just fucking make it up as you go along?

There was a bankrupt skyscraper in Florida that was never occupied and we jumped it a lot. What that not a building? How about all the other buildings I've jumped that weren't even finished being built yet . . . ? ? ?

Chill man. And yeah, the people I jump with pretty much make it up as we go along. I haven't logged in 100 jumps or so, so it doesn't really effect me anyways, which is why I voted that I don't care. My comment was mainly a dig on a buddy who just got his BASE number (and 'B') after hitting an abandoned B.

Btw the hug I got from you at BD05 was A+ quality, would definitely hug again! Now let's see if you can remember me ;)

To everyone: Spend less time worrying about crap like this and more time looking at cute animal pictures!
-TJ

:-)
I liked the abandoned B! You need to take a trip with me sometime and jump it.

And personally, not that I really care, but if it looks like a building, it's a building(to me). I'd write down a smokestack as an O, but then again, I also haven't logged in quite a while either, so who cares.

Hey TJ, where'd ya get that picture? From your screensaver collection I'm guessing! :P
Have fun with Dog the bounty hunter and the variety of gone wild commercials over the next few weeks ;)

Nathan
Nathan

That's not a cute animal picture. That's creepy. Looks like the queer eye guys got ahold of the beastmasters ferrets.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

I know this has probably been talked about 3 million times I'm just too lazy to go back and find the thread. Just curious though what everyone thinks on this, and also how many people are filthy cheaters. Can't wait to get the hateful responses.

BTW....just kidding about my harsh opinions on what actually constitutes a building....just curious really.

No really ..... you should be ashamed of yourself.
A smoke stack is a damn smoke stack...if it wasn't it would be called a building.

I go with "if wind blows around it" or "if it was meant to be a building". Though if the structure is mean/is a smokestack - I would log it as such. Of course that may be because I logged my B before jumping a stack :)

BTW, what Nate jumped was an actual building. It was occupied for along time. Plus it only has 14 floors.

If the wind blows around it, it's a Building

Damnit,I have a thing arround here which i thourght were an A,Now ill need to rewrite my logs>:(:ph34r:
I would need to caal a gastowr a Anetnna etc etc

A Building is a building
A Antenna is a Antenna
A Span is a bridge
A Cliff is earth
Anything else has names aswell.Just call it what ever it is..:P Its not about the names but about the fun we has while jumping the thing..

Some times old shcool need to be updated,its called the new age:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The SkinFlicka "ask a 5 year old" method seems to work best for this question....

Otherwise, in your heart you will know what a B is, what an A is, what an S is, what an E is, and what an O is....

in the end you only end up cheating yourself.... so who gives a shit if someone wants to claim an O as a B... deep down they will know the truth, as will the 5 year old who says "bulshit" to them...

if it is generally occupied or could be occupied, it's a building. who lives on an arial (antenna), span, or cliff?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

if it is generally occupied or could be occupied, it's a building. who lives on an arial (antenna), span, or cliff?

An occupied lighthouse? To me that would log as an O...

edit to add: fffuck I must be bored at work to enter into this time old question :P

I'd love to live on a cliff.

I always figured when they came up with the name BASE (Carl, Phil, Jean, I can't remember off the top of my head who else), it was because that coverred everything on earth that you could jump off of.

I like Nicks wind layout idea, but I would consider a damn a B because it was man made.

my thoughts: a smokestack is a B a damn is a B a water tower is an A a power tower is an A a tree is an E a cooling tower is a B, hell a man made hole if lined with concrete would be a B, if lined with earth I'd say an E even though it was man made, it's still earth your jumping from. A man made cliff would be an E to in my book, as long as its not coverred with materials we put there.

As far as logging purposes and BASE# purposes I could see where everyone is coming from though.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

>>A smoke stack is a damn smoke stack...if it wasn't it would be called a building<<

For purposes of a BASE award here's the classic definition.

If the wind blows around it, it's a Building.

If the wind blow through it, it' an Antenna

If the wind blows underneath it, it's a Span

If the wind blows over it, it's an Earth

Using the above a dam is an Earth jump and a smoke stack is a Building.

So does that mean that a water tower is an antenna?
What about a scaffolding or a tree?

Here are several definitions of a building:

Meaning of ``building''---(1) In this Act, unless the context
otherwise requires, the term ``building'' means any temporary or
permanent movable or immovable structure (including any structure
intended for occupation by people, animals, machinery, or chattels); and
includes any mechanical, electrical, or other system, and any utility
systems, attached to and forming part of the structure whose proper
operation is necessary for compliance with the building code; but does
not include---
(a) Systems owned or operated by a network utility operator for the
purpose of reticulation of other property; or
(b) Cranes
Boilers, Lifts, and Cranes Act 1950, whether or not attached to
any other structure; or
(c) Cablecars, cableways, ski tows, and other similar stand-alone
machinery systems, whether or not incorporated within any other
structure; or
(d) Ships as defined in section 2 (1) of the Shipping and Seaman Act
1952, other than permanently moored houseboats; or
(e) Vehicles and motor vehicles;
or
(f) Containers as defined in section 2 of the Dangerous Goods Act
1974; or
(g) Magazines as defined in section 2 of the Explosives Act 1957; or
(h) Scaffolding used in the course of the construction process; or
(i) Falsework used in the course of the construction process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S: (n) building, edifice (a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place)

------------------------------------------------------------
In architecture, construction, and real estate development the word building may refer to the following:

1. Any man-made structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or continuous occupancy

To differentiate buildings and other structures that are not intended for continuous human occupancy, the latter are called NONBUILDING STRUCTURES.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so according to the definitions of a building, a smoke stack would be considered a building....but, because it is not intended for human occupancy, it is classified as a nonbuilding structure.

So...a smoke stack is a STRUCTURE.

>>Some times old shcool need to be updated,its called the new age<<

The point of the OP was how objects relate to the BASE award and he said . . .

>>Just curious though what everyone thinks on this, and also how many people are filthy cheaters.<<

Sometimes new school needs to get their heads out of their asses and learn how to comprehend what they read . . .

In reality a 300-foot Sequoia tree is a tree.

But, if you use it to put in for BASE number it's an Antenna.

What's so hard to understand?

Read Phil Smith's article, "Gimme a B, Gimme an A, Gimme an S, Gimme an E!" in BASELINE magazine.

Totem poles are in the classification, as well as trees, as well as ferris wheels, and roller coasters

If the wind blows around it, it's a ==>building
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Forget it, brother. When BASELINE was in circulation most of these people were still crapping their diapers . . . ;)

so with the O category added, we'll have to change BASE to EBOSA.

signed
BASESTFWGHUJDXVNOPLC 460

>>So does that mean that a water tower is an antenna? What about a scaffolding?
Here are several definitions of a building:<<

Okay, I'll try once more and give up.

Of course there are exceptions in the real world but Carl Boenish distilled all the possible objects into the four categories so we could use the acronym BASE as a basis for the sequential numbered award. If not we have something like . . .

NickD :)BASESTFWGHUJDXVNOPLC 194

my thoughts: a smokestack is a B a damn is a B

Of course, you also thought lift was bad for flying.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

chill out old dude you might get a heart attack:P

What i were saying were that people shouldnt just look black n white..

The oldshool vs new age were a joke sorry you miseed my pointe..

But dont worry i hope to never be a oldshool,i dont want to point fingers and tell people how it is.. as i learned there were no rules in BASE,but that has changed..

In reality a 300-foot Sequoia tree is a tree.

But, if you use it to put in for BASE number it's an Antenna.

What's so hard to understand?

Nah it aint that difficult.. I just wouldnt place a tree as a quallifying object..
As oldshool you should see the challenged in getting the right objects as quallifying,instead of jumping

Chimney=B
Gasstower=A
That big tower in Paris(between the legs on the inside=S
Dam=E

Personaly i would Quallify all the above objects as Special or Other or actualy as they are..And would never even as it might would be cool,use them as Quallifying objects.. but thats my respect to the #´s is that so hard to understand?

Oh and we new shool might wear dipers as you were young,but your getting the age were you might need it again and the rest of us aint using it anymore;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

my thoughts: a smokestack is a B a damn is a B

Of course, you also thought lift was bad for flying.

Well phrased personal attack (of course I don't think you should be banned for it)!

If you try I'm sure you can understand what I meant and that is if you're moving down lift would = horizontal movement that's good, but if your moving horizontal lift would be negative vertical speed, and since you got no jets to keep you moving horizontal that wouldn't be good. I'm really tired, hopefully that makes sense.
~Dan Osman