Calvin19

Anyone have fused ankles?

so, i have 2 natural but very injured ankles, but they both hurt like hell when i walk, its intense when i hike or decend. im thinking about getting them fused, or both. the left needs to be fused for side to side motion to stop the pain, the right up and down needs to be fused. could i still fly a wingsuit?

Just cut them off (your legs). They'll grow back. :ph34r:

Oops ... I guess you were serious. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Have them fused in a straight out tracking position. That would be wicked.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Have them fused in a straight out tracking position. That would be wicked.

then you will need high heels:ph34r:

A buddy of mine who had a serious skydiving accident (titanium and the like) told me that smoking dope really helped him with the pain.
He's still a fast packer and pretty much a skygod at this stage, still BASE jumps also.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Maybe this could be the answer?http://www.anklejoint.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=6
I have a 25cm long metal plate in my ankle/leg(after a cliffstrike) fastened with 14 screws..luckily for me this ankle will not be fused..but it has cost me a lots of pain and training to come back where i am now,the doctor will remove this hardware at this spring..the same doc will also remove the hardware in both of my elbows in januar..
7 life to go!!B|

A med student freind of mine said something about 'scrambling the nerve'. i was wondering if it is really something that exists. i googled it with no results. i think it means cutting the receptor nerve to the ankle. i would do it in a second. i have no worries about walking around with a shoe on forever. that does not bug me. but i want to be able to run.

A med student freind of mine said something about 'scrambling the nerve'. i was wondering if it is really something that exists.

Yes. I believe the technical name is neural ablation. Basically you cook the nerve to kill it, so that you can't feel the pain that it would be transmitting. I don't think it's such a good idea for something like that, though, because pain is there for a reason--it warns you when you are going to do further damage. Without it, you'll be much more likely to re-injure yourself, I think.

If you want more details, you should talk to my wife. She does a fair bit of pain management from a rehabilitation perspective.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

DON'T DO IT!

Look into replacement first.

My orthopod said " We'll be fusing those some day" and I replied... "No we won't!".

jon

yes.

you could fly a wingsuit. no problem bro. I flew a wingsuit in ski boots and that was fine, and that pretty much prevents the up down stuff.

if you fly an s-fly i dont think it really matters what your feet are doing as long as your doing the right thing with your legs up to the spot where the feet start, your not really drawing tension at the toes.. or at least i am not and I manage to cruise around the sky and the big walls with most of my homeys.

jt

My left is fused from side-to-side movement, and really doesn't give me too much pain, unless most of the day is spent walking.

Something that REALLY helps is these funky shoes - http://www.zcoil.com/

They are expensive but worth every penny - I have 3 pairs. I recommend the hiking boots.

Good luck!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."