RiggerLee

Baffin 2007 Hitlist

For those of you not familiar with Sam Ford here are a few of the things on the menu this spring.
On another subject, who has jumped what up there? Could we dispense with the whole site-naming thing for this discussion? Honestly any one with the dedication and resources to go there, the skill to survive there, and the ability to reach the exit points is probable qualified to be there. This is not a burnable site you can drive to. I remember when I could count the total number of accents on my fingers much less the jumps that were made. I’ve lost track of who all has been up there to play.
I’ve been all over but I only have jumps off Kigut, The Beak, Scott Wall, Hang Over Hill or more precisely the cliff south of it, and The Prow.
Every one knows about Ox, Dave, the Red Bull crowd, the Limes, and I herd a Russian climber took a rig along on Great Sail. Chad was up last year but we never bumped into each other. I think he got some jumps off Kigut. Who else is a vet?

Lee
P.S. Yes, these are all from the same valley, wait I lied one is in Clyde but it can easly be done as a day trip when you come back to town.
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Incredible.
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Who else is a vet?

I know that in addition to the folks you list, there has been a French expedition, that was fairly early in the chronology.

As far as I know, you were the first to get up there.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hello Lee,

What were the precise dates you were in Sam Ford?
It seems there was not that much snow on the slopes of PSSpire.

Regards

Marc

---------------------------------------------

What about the old climber/stunt man Rick Sylvester. . . . .didn't he do a BASE stunt for a Bond film up in Baffin many years ago?

---------------------------------------------

What about the old climber/stunt man Rick Sylvester. . . . .didn't he do a BASE stunt for a Bond film up in Baffin many years ago?

Yes, he did. I had forgotten that one.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

baffin is a very big place..the bond stunt was done several hundred miles away in the national park in the south from mount asgard or mount thor... not sure which..the french crew went there (which also included on brit) but sam ford fjord cant have seen more than 15 jumpers ever...maybe twenty at a push
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

Rick Sylvester jumped Mount Asgaard in 1976 for "The spy who loved me". The film crew was waiting many many days in Pang for a weather clearance.

Two french expeditions went to Thor first in 2002 and then this year.

http://12secondes.free.fr/P-Baffin.htm

Baffin was never as big a secret as people think. Sylvesters jump was off Asguard. In fact I know Ox jumped Thor which is a great cliff some years earlier. Jean Banish ran a trip to the park at one point. I don't know if that was the same trip Ox was on or not. He was planning on takeing a trip up to the NE coast then he broke his back. He didn't make it up there till several years later when he went up there with Barlia. If you'll recall Barlia had all ready been up to the park to jump Asguard with Patreak. See Good Stuff. The NE coast was just less well known till Mark Sinnet started that big wave of climbers with The Great and Secret Show but even then a few other groops had been up there. The best pics I found were in Climbing several years earlier from a photographer that went up that way.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Most of those pic's from Sam Ford were taken very late in the season, June, and it was a very dry year. The snow had melted out on the ice leaveing a lot of water on the surface and I was haveing trouble traveling then a stroke of luck. A storm blew in and we got a good cold snap that refroze the serface into this big beutiful ice ring.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Incredible pics on that homepage! (and that's not only for the Baffin stuff)
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Barlia had all ready been up to the park to jump Asguard with Patreak. See Good Stuff.

Is that the same piece as in Masters Of Stone 5?

Barlia had all ready been up to the park to jump Asguard with Patreak. See Good Stuff.

Is that the same piece as in Masters Of Stone 5?

No. The MOS 5 piece was with Will.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Mark Sinnet started that big wave of climbers with The Great and Secret Show but even then a few other groops had been up there. The best pics I found were in Climbing several years earlier from a photographer that went up that way.

---------------------------------------------------------
Yep.

And I think Sylvester's jump was inspired by Charlie Porter, who soloed Asgard in either 1972 or 1974 (?). The story goes that upon finishing the route, Porter couldn't return to his camp on the talus below because Polar Bears were there waiting to eat him. So he chilled out in a hammock for a few days until they bailed. I've never confirmed if that is true though. Anyhow, I remember reading that at that time Charlie's solo of Asgard was one of. . . . .if not the most. . . . . .outrageous solo ascent to go down in those days. Anywhere. In fact I believe that kinda stood in the climbing community until Mugs Stump soloed the Cassin Ridge on Denali in 15 hours in 1990, or maybe Messner's solo of the North Ridge of Everest oxygenless in 78'.

It's hard to imagine heading up to Baffin way back then, soloing stuff. I think Sylvester's jump off Asgard in 1976 is pretty fucking cool too! ;)

So was Rick or Will Ox the first to jump in Baffin?

Could we dispense with the whole site-naming thing for this discussion?

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!

Why?

Everyone is reasonably familiar with site burning and potential access issues and attracting the wrong people. So we won't go into that one.

But there is a sub clause in BASE ethics that goes along the lines of:

"Don't name sites that people roolllyyy rooollly desparately, beggingly want to go to but have not taken the opportunity at that point in time".

Why? Because whilst you are away having all this fun, taking wonderful photo's, building up heaps of freefall time, and enjoying some of the worlds most spectacular scenery, WE, the remaining mere mortals, ARE NOT!!

And I suppose you gave up dinner with Tom Cruise for this too???

So, the no no's are:

1 - Site Naming.
2 - Site Bragging.

Next time, you will either be tarred and feathered, OR, you will have to take me as punishment. ;) :P

Seriously - awesome place. Nice photo's. Well done.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

You may be a little off base with this one. People are not lineing up to go up there. Trust me on this. I've been trying despratly to find people to come with me. It's become kind of a yearly ritual. I don't know how many times I've tracked people down calling them out of the blue asking them if they want to go this year. It's the same shit every year. I make the rounds calling every one I know that might be even vagely interested. It's always the same thing, no money, no time, too cold, are you fucking crazy?
I wouldn't be here doing this if I wasn't out of options. I'm honestly not trying to rub any bodys nose in this. I don't think we know each other. I'm normaly a rather private person. I don't normaly go around waveing my own flag. I guess that's why I feel a little defencive. I'm a bit uncomterble doing it. I guess I'm feeling a bit guilty.
As to you mere mortals... All I can say is put up or shut up. I wish you could see me. My emince stature, my grand presence, a greek god come to life. Tom hates going out with me becouse I get all the women. The truth is that I'm a short, ugle, unplesent little bastard, with a small pecker that couldn't get laid even if I was a millionare in a whore houes. And I'm not rich but I made it happen. Not once but three times. I'm not in great shape but I don't stop till I get there. I'm at best a meadeocer climber but I've bullied my way to the top of a lot of objects. In short there is absolutly nothing specal about me. The only diffrence is I bought the tickets and I went. I don't want to say that any one could do it, but any one could prepare to do it. There is a slight but important diffrence there. A lot of you could do this. It's mostly just a matter of will.
As for you... in case you didn't notice this is a cattle call. I don't want to say that it's an open invatation but it is an invatation. You could be there jumping all those cliffs this spring.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

no money, no time, too cold

unfortunatelly i am not in the position to even think about joining you but could you tell us how much money and time someone should/had to invest and how cold it is on baffin island.

i'm tired so I'm going to cheat and paist some things togather from a couple of e-mails. It may be a bit in coharent.

I'm down in Dallas. Just got back from shooting the Black Water demo team jumping into the Armed Forces Bowl foot ball game.
I would not even concider mailing my camera up there. Those are the things that you'll have to cary. Just plan on spending a couple hundred dollars on extra baggage. The harness and rope are fine. The things you might need to buy or borrow are: Crampons, ice axe or tool, high altitude plastic mountianearing boots, warm synthetic bag, etc. A lot of the things you probable have or can borrow. Here I'll try to find a list of stuff from another e-mail.

Gear, To be honest that's secondary to knowing how to use it. They fact that you have to ask means your a bit behind the power curve. In any case here is a list just keep in mind that throwing down a CC might be enough to get you up there but it may not be enough to get you back alive. If you buy this stuff you need to pack it up and head to CO and start useing it.

List of shit:

Tent four season with good tie downs and a good high vestabule. this you can share with another jumper. example:
North Face Mountian 25 $400
High altitude plastic Mountianearing boots. example:
Yellow Koflacs Artic Exp? $350
Several pairs of socks example:
Smart Wool Mountianearing
Good synthetic bag at least 0 -15 if you want to be cozy.example
Mountian Hardwear 4th demention $350
Bivi bag in case you get stuck. Cheep synthetic or down. The main thing is small enough to jump. At least +15 degrees. You could go warmer but you will be missrobal
Shitty REI 35 degree for $100
Some kind of bivi bag cover example dryloft sleeping bag cover. $100
Gaters
Wind stoper gloves $30
Mit Shells and liners $60
Balaclova $20
Wind stopper hat $30
Liquid fuel stove you should probable have one of your own and spare parts
MSR Dragon Fly $100
Foam pad 3/4 in ridge rest better to have two or 1 1/2
Good Long under wear top and bottom say two sets
Good Fleace top and bottom $60 to $100 each
Gortex or cheeper eqv pants with zippers to go over boots.
Shell jacket. Wind breaker, $60 or Fancy stupid over priced gortex shit that you will sweat your ass off in for $400+
crampons, flat point, example
S-12 $60
Axe of some type keeping in mind that you will have to jump with it $40 to $160 for a tool
Harnes $40
a few beaners, rapel, etc $50 to $200 depending on what you can get by with and how fancy you want.
Rope If we want to do some of the more tec sites. Probable about one half rope apeace or one for two.
about $130
Glacer glasses $100
Sled one for every two people $400 Or cheep toy sled for a fraction of the price.
Poles $60
Camp chair. $40

I could probable go on but those are the things that come to mind. Big items at least. but before you go out and buy any of this shit first buy the old Bible, Mountianearing Freedom of the Hills and read it. Then buy what little you can as you can and go live in the snow on top of a forteener. That is when you will start to figure this stuff out. Thats when you will start to figure out what you need and what you use.

Spring is the time to be up there. March is still black night and cold. Mid April till the end of may is the best time to be there. If you get too far into June it starts to get rather hot. A lot of stuff starts to come down. It's just not refreazing at "night". Ice seasons vary but you can generaly count on it through mid to late june. Travel with a heavy komotic may be epic late in the season. Best bet is May At least three weeks, better a month. I'd bee up for six late April through early June. I'd like to see who is serious about going before trying to set dates.
Travel: I fly to Ottawa for about 600 plus baggage. Ottawa to Clyde was 2000 US last year. Last year the snowmobil was 1000 us round trip. Best to ship food and heavy stuff up by mail in advance. Allow 8 weeks to be safe. No shit there is a back log and you are last on the list. From europe you might try to get a flight in to Iqaluit but from there you are stuck on first air.
When you get a chance you might tell me a bit of your story and send a list of questions I'll be happy to answer them
I don't know you. I'd love to have some people come with me this year but I wont bull shit you this trip is not for every one You might want to think carefully as to whether you are really down for a trip like this. What I can tell you is that better base jumpers then you have declined.

A snow mobile is tricky. If there is one that will start then some one is probable out running it. They only last for about a season and a half. Two years if your lucky. That why the guiding price is so high. Unless you're willing to wait till spring and have it shipped up on the one boat a year in late augest/september then you'll have to pay through the ass to have it flown up. You could have a guide stay a couple of days when he drops us off and come a couple of days early when he picks us up. They will be out in the area from time to time as well. He might be able to run you around then. At the minimum your looking at a couple hundred a day. Remember he needs to be bringing another cliant out and has a very short season to make all the cash money he will see for a year. If you are flexable and can arange a time when he does not have other work waiting for him they would be a lot more aimeable to some thing like that. The distances are so big that you just about need transport to get really good pictures. But if you get them... let's just say not every one has those shots.

antother e-mail:

Levi is running an out fitting service there now. He took shipment of all my food. Be careful how you lable things. Comercal shipments get taxed hard. Put any thing you ship in some old box and mark it as your personal stuff for your personal trip. Do not have some company for example drop ship you a rope in a brand new box marked as a sell.
You gona come play again this year? What are your plans?

Levi Palituq
PO Box 99, house 232
Clyde River, Nunavut
XOA OEO
Canada
[email protected]

In march you can see -35 at night and that is still black nights. By mid April your looking at -15 for a low. Ofical 24 in Clyde is some where around May 10th I think. But by mid April it will never be darker then twilight. Still has a good bit of cycle about -15 to +15. By May things are getting warmer. you'll see about -5 at the begining. by mid may lows might be like +10. By the end of May you'll just barly be freezing at night if your lucky. June is warm and you can nolonger depend on a freeze cycle when things go into shadow. A lo of wet stuff starts commeing down. You'll be sking along in your long underware just trying not to get sun burned. I'm talking +65.
all of these are in F and my best guess based on memory.

Plane Ticket are one of the big ones. I think I payed $650 to Ottawa but from there you are stuck on first air. It was $2000 from there to Clyde. about another $500 total for excess baggage. The snowmobill was $1000 round trip last year.

I'm about to crash. I'll reread his and may try to make it more coharent tomarow.

Lee

Lee
[email protected]