NickDG

Climbers in our Corner . . .

I've often thought the climbing community is a group we need in our corner as we seek access to National Parks. It's why I never use the, "if they can climb, why can't we jump," argument. So when I noticed a thread about the BASE jumpers busted in Yosemite on the Supertopo Climbing Forum I posted my two cents.

I consider their response a Christmas present from them to us and a sign of good things to come.

The thread is here: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=297518&tn=0

NickD :)BASE 194

with a post like the one you left on their forum, how would they not be on BASE jumper's side ? Great piece of writing. People like you should be more implicated in politics and run for presidence.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I don't know of a faster growing "2nd sport" amongst climbers. BASE jumping has traditionally had more than a few BASE/Climbers floating around. But it seems to be gaining in popularity by leaps and bounds, pun intended. My biggest early BASE inspiration came from a Rock and Ice Magazine feature that was written by Randy Leavitt (BASE 30something?).
Isn't hanggliding allowed in the Parks with some type of permit. This would seem to be a conflict of interests as well. Alot of angles to think about.

---"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"---
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

In this particular situation there are two intertwined issues, one of which must be wrong. Either the law against base jumping exists for a valid reason (that reason is that it causes or has the potential to cause some real harm to people or park resources) and therefore the LEO is morally obligated to prevent the crime, or the LEO has no obligation to prevent the crime because no real harm could be expected to result, in which case the law itself is invalid.

Dead on.

WOW what a good post you made Nick....
I agree its a sign of good things to come :)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

My biggest early BASE inspiration came from a Rock and Ice Magazine feature that was written by Randy Leavitt (BASE 30something?).

be safe

kleggo

>>Rock and Ice Magazine feature that was written by Randy Leavitt (BASE 30something?). <<

He is BASE 39 and he did 'invent" cliffing . . .

NickD :)BASE 194