Sean621

building turbulence

whilst abroad recently me and george encountered what can best be described as "an updraft" whilst doing a B...we worked out delays to get to the designated landing area and also for the flight and contingency for off headings etc but once under canopy both jumpers experienced pretty substantial altitude gain..we both outflew the original plan by a long way and were surprised at the extent..maybe it was the methane coming from my ass as i was shitting myself but maybe not...just something to bear in mind when doing urban jumps on populated buildings as well as in warm countries...

anybody had anything similar?

merry crimbo to all..

Off a cliff known here as TM here in Cape Town.
Ever so slight breeze from the back. Turbulence after opening, then further from the cliff, impossible to get down to the landing. A few 360's before finally losing altitude. Weird stuff.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

frigin' wind!!! yeah the same wind that has something against me obviously has something against you as well!!!

i was starting to take it personal. but obviously it doesn't discriminate?!?!

i'm just learning to stay away from it? unless it's consistantly down wind off an "A". and even then.......

GLAD YOUR O.K.!!

later
NPS SUX ASS

I did my first B last Sunday night. Static line 200ft. I don't think it had anything to do with thermals, but I got way more canopy time then I expected. 13 seconds. I use a blackjack, and I figure the cold dense air might have played a small part in it. I had full presure at about 140-150ft, canopy at about 160-170.

congrats on your "B".

now you can work on your night B.A.S.E. if you care. you might actually already have it. i qualified for it 3 weeks before realizing i did!! but i'm kinda slow.

later
NPS SUX ASS

Thanks. I think I might have already qualified for it. Does a cliff at sundown count? :S

Edit to add: It was pretty dark.

congrats on your "B".

now you can work on your night B.A.S.E. if you care. you might actually already have it. i qualified for it 3 weeks before realizing i did!! but i'm kinda slow.

later

Is there actually a night BASE? Did you actually send in for a night BASE number? I thought that was a joke...WTF is the point of night BASE?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

WTF is the point of night BASE?

The night cliff, I suspect. I've only ever done one cliff in light so dim that I had a hard time seeing the edge of the rock, and it was wildly different from jumping the same cliff in the daytime.

Michael

in reply to:
Is there actually a night BASE? Did you actually send in for a night BASE number? I thought that was a joke...WTF is the point of night BASE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what's the point of any BASE NUMBER (1108)??? what's the point of anything??? why BASE jump???what's the point of doin' low stuff with no ground rush??? it is what it is??? it is what it is!!!!! just numbers right.
why don't you ask/tell marta (your mentor) WTF about her naked BASE # OR sex BASE #??? WTF-IS THE POINT?? email them and say how pointless it is!!! night BASE has been around almost as long as regular BASE has (i think?). why don't you tell rick and joy how pointless it is!!!!

and yes it's real......but don't trust me PM a real
BASE JUMPER because i've only got 70ish jumps!!!
NPS SUX ASS

you can work on your night B.A.S.E. if you care. you might actually already have it.

the truly hard one would be getting DAY BASE,or has BASE become so mainstream that its more easy to get day jumps?:S

I know theres legal events all over the world were you can jump daytime jumps,but if you look at the evryday jumper that dosnt show up at thouse larger events,he/she easily will get night BASE way before completing day BASE..

evrything can be jumped in the dark,scooping arround to make daylight jumps in your own backyard is a challengede thats higher than that..

Just a thourght..

Is there a solo BASE# out there?

I wonder if any completede sub 200ft freefall BASE yet?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber