laskydiver

Antenna Climb Time

get a rythem and use ur legs more... also stay close to the ladder.. wear knee pads
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

keep your arms straight, using your bonse and ligaments to support you, as opposed to a half bent arm, that is taxing your bicep every other rung...

grap step step grab step step grab step step

all while breathing evenly and deeply lke you were running for distance...

i dont see how you could do this close to the ladder tho.

and it also helps to hold the outside vertical part ...

I was able to knock out 2 jumps in just under 20 minutes includeing stash time.

Antenna 300ft

1. First jump was 10 min from the time I started climbing to gear stashed.

2. Second was just under 8 min (I was warmed up) from the time I started climbing to gear stashed.

Total time on site a bit over 20 min.

Lets not forget that ALL guyed towers have 0 deg slope "straight up" vertical ladder, while many (if not most) freestanders ladders are sloped - and that makes a huge difference. Persnally I would consider 200ft in 10 mins a good time. IF its cold outside it really helps.

How could someone claim to climb that fast to 1000 feet given that he weighs 210 pounds? It doesn't seem feasible to weigh that much and climb that fast.

I'm a pretty skinny guy, and I climb *real* slow. It follows that the average heavy guy must climb much faster. QED.

Being in that state of mind is more of the soulful side of it. Its when you get to the top that you again live to get radical.

I was on a 300 footer last night. The climb up was around 20 minutes. I am not in the best shape (not terrible though), and it was my first time on an outside climb, so that really didn't help. I was far more scared than I imagined.

The climb down was a little quicker (got winded out).

unless there is a bust potential, why rush?

heck, I climb slow, and thus bail on climbs BEFORE reaching the top. pausing and assessing should add to situational awareness. I prefer to sensing the wind at multiple levels than watch a wind drift...

pausing also lets a jumper see what the ground looks like at different heights.

why focus all your energy on the climb if the purpose is to jump?

bragging rights?

I suggest jumpers save "sprints" for objects they know quite well.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

In the beginings of antenna, we used to climb slow and stop a lot to engage in intellectually bankrupt conversation in order to get good and scared. I could do the 1100 foot climb in about twenty minutes but we would usually take a couple of hours at least. Then we might hang at the top for a while also; weird huh???

unless there is a bust potential, why rush?

That was exactly what there was, and why I wanted to rush. There was a pretty big bust potential at this object.

heck, I climb slow, and thus bail on climbs BEFORE reaching the top. pausing and assessing should add to situational awareness. I prefer to sensing the wind at multiple levels than watch a wind drift...

pausing also lets a jumper see what the ground looks like at different heights.

why focus all your energy on the climb if the purpose is to jump?

bragging rights?

I suggest jumpers save "sprints" for objects they know quite well.

Some good points, that is actually what ended up happening. As I would stop to rest I would check out what was going on with the winds. Good idea to look at the landing area from different altitudes.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

only having a few big "A's". it just recently took me and another "A" newbie just under an hour and a half 1100' but well worth the added freefall 1100' gives.
but we stopped and talked and took pictures had water to make the mental part alittle easier for us. we'll get faster. were both in really good shape....but it just takes practice for the mental thing of climbing i think and i'm more than willing to practice and so is she.
i have to agree with wwarped :)
also like to add: that the third jumper was far far ahead of us and could have done it in 45minutes i'm sure.
but no matter how long we took it was fun and in the future when were faster we'll probably look back to when we were "slower" and realize how much more fun it was when we newer and slower at climbing big"A's"!
NPS SUX ASS

it just takes practice for the mental thing of climbing i think and i'm more than willing to practice and so is she [...] in the future when were faster [...]

[/url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=76618;[/url]

Yeah. So I've been meaning to say something and you're input makes for a great opportunity to finally do so (makes sense?)

If you're racing to the top on that particular A in the picture, and you miss your step because you don't have 3 supports (two arms/one feet etc.) you're done with. Even if you do have 3 supports, you might grab onto some birdshit (or God's spit if him and the misses aren' getting their groove on) and slip.

Stating the obvious in four words: seems kind of dangerous.

What is a reasonable climb time for an 1100ft antenna?

45 - 60 minutes. It's more about technique than fitness. Practice on smaller vertical ladders (like smokestacks or whatevers around) before committing to a big A climb if you aren't sure of yourself.

but well worth the added freefall 1100' gives.

Is it really?

We have an 1100 footer by my house. It has catwalks at 350 and 700 and another little platform at about 550. I've never climbed higher than 350.
I've thought about going higher, but it just never seems worth it. Maybe if I was doing gainers and flips and all that, but I'm not. 350 takes me about 25 minutes. I can't see where it's worth it to climb another hour for an extra couple seconds of freefall when I'm just going to go off flat and stable anyways.
I might be more likely to climb all the way up if it was daytime and nice weather with some friends, but I'm by myself a lot lately and it's always at night and it's cold here. Guess I'm just a big fat pussy.

I think you and faber would get along great... :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

It is very surreal watching an antenna wiz by you after about 3 sec. That is, if you are comfortable enough looking between your legs during freefall. Ground rush is much more intense at high speeds/low pulls.
As one of my good friends always says, "Having a big A and climbing up to 300 is like having a Porsh, and driving a Yugo..."

Oh, and by the way, if you BASE, you are NOT a pussy. Maybe a dumbass, but not a PUSSY..;P

but well worth the added freefall 1100' gives.

Is it really?

We have an 1100 footer by my house. It has catwalks at 350 and 700 and another little platform at about 550. I've never climbed higher than 350.
I've thought about going higher, but it just never seems worth it. Maybe if I was doing gainers and flips and all that, but I'm not. 350 takes me about 25 minutes. I can't see where it's worth it to climb another hour for an extra couple seconds of freefall when I'm just going to go off flat and stable anyways.
I might be more likely to climb all the way up if it was daytime and nice weather with some friends, but I'm by myself a lot lately and it's always at night and it's cold here. Guess I'm just a big fat pussy.

You are not a big fat pussy, my average height from all my jumps is sub 300, I have done 3000ft, 700ft and 500ft but to be honest, I prefer the sub 300ft range....

in reply to the following:

". So I've been meaning to say something and you're input makes for a great opportunity to finally do so (makes sense?)"

"If you're racing to the top on that particular A in the picture, and you miss your step because you don't have 3 supports (two arms/one feet etc.) you're done with. Even if you do have 3 supports, you might grab onto some birdshit (or God's spit if him and the misses aren' getting their groove on) and slip."

"Stating the obvious in four words: seems kind of dangerous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"

i know you can't tell at first glance but i'm wearing an "ALPINE" APEX DP. the ALPINE has a built in climbing harness that i was using. i specifically had it made for climbing "A's".;)
my right arm/hand is in the way but i'm cliped in. and when i'm climbing i'm cliped in to the cable running up the latter which has large rubber stoppers every 40 feet!

this paticular "A" doesn't have any platforms...so you have to sit on the side :S
platforms would be nice. i've done a 300' "A" that had 3 platforms?? but my big "A" has none.:( and again we didn't race to the top we took our time;)other jumper also took picture of sign at bottom of "A". kind of funny and relevant to what vincent was saying. it has a little cartoon of a guy falling off the "A". and yeah it's a real sign at the bottom of the "A". :o
NPS SUX ASS

How could someone claim to climb that fast to 1000 feet given that he weighs 210 pounds? It doesn't seem feasible to weigh that much and climb that fast.

I weigh about 210 pounds too.... I also happen to be 6'7" and in good shape. Besides, Ladder rungs/pegs seem so much closer together when you have longer arms/legs...

210 lbs doesnt necessarily mean "fatass". Maybe Gary is also a tall lurpy-assed mofo monkey like myself? (or maybe your right and he is full of shit... who knows?)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

If you are just using a carabiner to clip into the safety cable, dont expect it to do anything if you fall other than ensure that you hit your chin on every rung on the way down. Those rubber "stoppers" every 40 feet are not stoppers at all... they are intended to hold the cable close to the ladder so the wind doesn't blow it around. If you fall 40 feet onto one of those, it will just rip right off and you'll go on thru the next one.

However, if you're that worried about safety on the climb up, look into getting a safety climb device that will actually catch you if you fall...

edit: i suck at clickies
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

the crew went out to our 2000' A, as we were gearing up, this kid spilled out that he was slider down. we all made a fuss until we were at 1200', and he was just passing 200'. slow fucker. we did a 2 way, but he was at 400, me at 1800.

funny thing,i dont rember we jumped together,but hey i dont rember beeing in a 200fter..

Usaly i do 400ft in 15-20mins(15 if im paranoid,after a bust jump off the same A,and i think i just saw a police car-Sorry Nikolaj,hope the sorry beer were good:$)

I have this 1000fter that i still(after a bust jump) can jump during the day,i climbed the top 2 times,i have no idea about the time,but one thing im sure.. im only doing it once again(promis to Niklas,if he gets his fat arse down here)..

I can do a 150fter pretty fast thrugh:P:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

feel free to pop by anyday:)

Guess I'm just a big fat pussy.

aslong your wet its ok by me:ph34r:

I do belive i once saw a post telling that your the TM in your avatar so please take the above as a joke:P(well the pussy part atleast)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I climb steady at 100'/3min

I know one jumper who did a 330ft climb in 7 minutes, and another jumper who regularly did 6-7 minutes to 400ft, so maybe you should shape up....

another jumper who regularly did 6-7 minutes to 400ft, so maybe you should shape up....

did he/she stop BASEjumping and took up marton or other extremesports instead?:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

hmmmm....good point...i use about three feet of spectra lined climbing lines with loped ends that supposedly absorb the shock of a fall like that. but i also used the carobiner to clip off when sitting as well.;)
but if the rubber "stopper" on there is only for weight and aren't fixed for stopping a fall i've got some thinking to do????? they seem to be on there really good???
um i was told there are devices that the guys who work on these things use to speed up the ascent?? siimilar to the item on the link posted. does anybody know the name of these things???

later
NPS SUX ASS