laskydiver

Antenna Climb Time

If you are just using a carabiner to clip into the safety cable, dont expect it to do anything if you fall other than ensure that you hit your chin on every rung on the way down. Those rubber "stoppers" every 40 feet are not stoppers at all... they are intended to hold the cable close to the ladder so the wind doesn't blow it around. If you fall 40 feet onto one of those, it will just rip right off and you'll go on thru the next one.

However, if you're that worried about safety on the climb up, look into getting a safety climb device that will actually catch you if you fall...

I was told the same info a couple of days ago...that you need an actual fall arrestor (if that is the right term) on the cable as well as a shock absorbing tie in.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I believe it's called a sliding wire rope grab.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

If you are just using a carabiner to clip into the safety cable, dont expect it to do anything if you fall other than ensure that you hit your chin on every rung on the way down.

I know, but it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling when I climb... and that's all I really want out of it.

Was that vertical ladder or slanted?

I've done 320ft non stop and it took about 8 mins, on a vertical ladder. My best tall climb was 1200ft in about 50 mins. The trick is to keep your chest close to the ladder and use your legs, not your arms. you shouldn't reach with your hands any higher than your shoulders. They're there to keep your chest close, not to pull you up the ladder. I'm older now though and prefer the 2000ft ride that takes 20 mins.:ph34r: 40 to 50 mins to 1100ft is a better than average time in my opinion

May we live long and die out

worldsocold: I don't know of any device that clips into that cable that actually aids the climber... in fact the cable is only meant as a backup anyway... you never want to intentionally hang from it unless you are doing a safety test a few feet above the ground.

hydroguy: these fall arrestors are designed to be connected via a single 4-5" carabiner to a climber's chest D-ring (on a full-body harness). This keeps the arrestor at a maximum of ~9 inches from the body, so no shock absorber is required.

Like almost any other product in the tower industry, they are ridiculously expensive (~$400). I've been told that they can be found on ebay for around $50 though.

While I have no problem with freeclimbing, I've noticed that I can climb faster and higher when I'm clipped in, because I dont have to worry about falling. When I freeclimb, I subconsciously grip the ladder tighter and take extra care to have a good grip, so my climbing is less efficient than if I just clipped in.
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

It all depends how fit you are, and what techneeque you are using. Also how the Antennas look.

Up here in Sweden the antennas are safe but a hassle to climb.

But Ill say in US the average time to climb 1100 ft should be around 40 minutes if you are normally fit.

ABout 30 minutes if you are a good antenna climber.

/martin - Team Bautasten
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

But Ill say in US the average time to climb 1100 ft should be around 40 minutes if you are normally fit.

ABout 30 minutes if you are a good antenna climber.

as we meet one day,let me rember to let you carry my rig on the way up,that should slow you down abit,and give me the chance to get up aswell before you faal asleep:P

Not all of us are monkeys.. i were built to fall down from them things not to climb them..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Even though it was 2 jumps in a row, it was on a slight slant. I have climbed to 470 in 10min, though. But as others have mentioned I'd rather tone the climb speed down a tad.

Was that vertical ladder or slanted?

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

you guys do like Faber, stop climbing after 200ft ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Yea the key is its all mental. you have to be in the state of mind of ascension. I find that climbing shirtless allows my body to stay cooler, thus allowing me to climb faster.

Do you also wear your jean frayed boy shorts while climbing shirtless? That doesn't sound very radical, Slambo. It sounds more like soulful and gay.

Being in that state of mind is more of the soulful side of it. Its when you get to the top that you again live to get radical.

Yea, you only live to get radical shirtless in your boy shoots.
:ph34r:

Yea but i am still radical.. you only wish that i wore those shorts more often, dont you? Actually I borrowed them from the moderator of this forum, and liked them so much i never gave them back. anyway i gotta go im getting radical again...

unless there is a bust potential, why rush?

awesome response. it takes me an hour to climb our 450' A. every 60' or so there's a platform and i stop at every one of them to rest, assess, and ask myself what the fuck am i doing :)
btw notice a couple of responses mentioned temperature, i love climbing in the cold, its gonna be upper 30's in texas tomorrow night, sweet. whats the coldest temps any of ya'll have jumped in?

awesome response. it takes me an hour to climb our 450' A. every 60' or so there's a platform and i stop at every one of them to rest, assess, and ask myself what the fuck am i doing :)
btw notice a couple of responses mentioned temperature, i love climbing in the cold, its gonna be upper 30's in texas tomorrow night, sweet. whats the coldest temps any of ya'll have jumped in?

I`ve climbed a 170meter antenna in blistering minus 21 degrees(26desember 2004 in Norway) the weather was so good(blue sky), that was a special moment when i stood at the top of the platform with my pilotchute in my hand and wonder what the heck i was doing up there:D

because winds change with time

I have experienced very different wind conditions on two jumps, 30 minutes apart, from the same antenna.

In fact, a few times now I came close to jumping two different sectors of the same antenna on the same night.

part of the joy of having two rigs, I suppose...

you guys do like Faber, stop climbing after 200ft ;)

I have a friend that constantly jump slider up from 120 meters (380 ft) Because he allways have the intetion fo climbing high with us to 1000 ft. But he gets very tiered and lacy and decides to do a jump from a lower platform.

;)

Last winter, we climbed a 95 meter (around 310ft) freestander in -28 celcius (-18 or -19 F) weather.
Climbing was good, if only it wasn't for that 20 minutes we had to wait for the police patrol to move from below the A, while we were half way up the ladder.

Didn't get caught, didn't freeze, had a nice jump, twas all good.

/AV

P.s. Hyvä et lähettii B|

Life is smiling, so why wouldn't I? :)

How could someone claim to climb that fast to 1000 feet given that he weighs 210 pounds? It doesn't seem feasible to weigh that much and climb that fast.

Weight doesn't matter a whole lot if you have the muscle to move it. I'm 6'3", 225lbs or so and I had the 2nd fastest 60 yard sprint time on my uni soccer team, vs a bunch of skinny guys. Why? Because muscle weighs more than fat, and I have a shitload of short twitch fibres vs long twitch.
cavete terrae.

Because muscle weighs more than fat, and I have a shitload of short twitch fibres vs long twitch.

But hey. I can say that Im climbing fast because of one reason. Tecnique, nothing else. My friend is quite big, but with muscles. It doesnt matter. I have seen very fit guys climb slow and they get very tiered.

If you climb with good tecneque and with the right mindset you can go fast. Its like running 20 Km, you have to use all tecneque you can find to make it.

OK its not an antenna.....but 400Ft in 4mins(ish)
This vid just makes me feel a little dizzy....and a little sick as well...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wWSfeFYjeNs&mode=related&search=

Thats Dan Olden, He is dead now.Supricinly not from freeclimbing, but from cool kingswinging in the carlifornian valley with old ropes.

But hell man that was some fast climbing. my god!

Something tells me he did that rout a coupple of times.

Dan Osman. I'm glad he's getting more notoriety.

I read a rope failure report that was done by Chris Harmston at Black Diamond. Apparently NPS said that no one was allowed to touch the ropes, but they were just leaving the ropes there and not retreiving them to investigate, so some climber got the ropes and sent them to Black Diamond. The guy at black diamond has amazing credentials, material engineering degree and lots of rope experience, and his conclusion was that the ropes were in outstanding condition (he said he would have climbed with them), but that Dan choosing a new launch point caused a rope to cross that the system wasn't designed for and it rubbed (nylon on nylon) and melted through.

I don't know how he would have known for sure that Dan chose a new launch point, but I had read that before on a forum about the incident. Hopefully the DZ local that was on Dan's crew will read this report and let us (or atleast me) know what he thinks of it.

http://adventureguides.com.au/PDFs/Dan%20Osman%20Rope%20Failure%20Analysis.pdf

OK its not an antenna.....but 400Ft in 4mins(ish)
This vid just makes me feel a little dizzy....and a little sick as well...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wWSfeFYjeNs&mode=related&search=

Thats Dan Olden, He is dead now.Supricinly not from freeclimbing, but from cool kingswinging in the carlifornian valley with old ropes.

But hell man that was some fast climbing. my god!

Something tells me he did that rout a coupple of times.

old ropes had nothing to do with dan OSMONs death. he messed up an exit point for a ROPE JUMP, and crossed lines. to many climbers read the warning labels on there 60meter climbing ropes and think they know everything about nylon and the way it reacts.