stitch

Is it odd??

That 2 current United States Quarters have prominent NPS BASE sites on them??
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Odd? no, i would say expected. The most beautiful places in the US are inherently tall, massive, grand, vast areas. and as BASE jumpers, we like jumping off these things.

I think that as BASE jumpers it is easy to look at objects and be smitten with them for our own purposes and forget that these objects are pretty cool to other people too.

There are many examples of this. One that comes to mind: on a recent back-country ski trip, I mentioned that I had been checking out a couple local A's. One of the guys that I was with said that he had climbed both of them. (600' and 800') This amazed me, as I figured that there wouldn't really be anyone else that would want to climb something that big for no other reason than to check out the view. He is a climber and said that he likes heights. I am actually considering asking him for some help with getting on those, as the security is a little tight.

It made me realize though, that there are other people that find these things interesting. I have to say that I would be pretty surprised to find someone on an A that I was planning on jumping.

Really, 2 out of 50 is pretty good.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

A late very good freind of mine would climb towers in ND all the time, she had pics of herself climbing, and rapping from a few 800' As. I taught her how to BASE 2 weeks before she died. she just loved being places where everyone else never went.

there are actually quite a few people who like to just climb towers for the hell of it. I climbed a tower or two before i started BASE (though it was partially because i knew i would be BASE'ing soon and wanted to climb up there in anticipation of one day jumping off of one)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Just for interests sake, they were considering a BASE jumper quarter for the WV one. I guess it got voted down, despite Jason Bell's efforts.

Here is the link:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=600803;

Couldn't find the actual image of the quarter, maybe someone has a picture of it.

Andrew
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

That is so freaking cool!

Have any of you ever seen those penny machines at teh beach or amusement parks? You put a penny in them and it smashes it flat and stamps some kind of logo on it.

Well, I was wanting to get a machine of that type that would stamp a little parachute person under the current WV state quarter. I thought that it was a great idea.

Heck, now I find out they actually were considering a quarter with a BASE jumper already on it.

That would have been sweet if that quarter made it as our state quarter!

DBR

Bridge day was on the side of a U-hual truck I rented 5 years ago.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174