nec

Stronger gear

Hi,

I discussed with two jumpers that are jumping on ZP canopies for at least 150 jumps, and what they say is that the fabric seems to stay as solid/consistent/non-porosity as at the first day, so they are very glad of it.

Without considering the added weight, I was wondering if the same kind (ZP vs F111) of improvement did exist for other parts of the gear :
- the lines that gets scratched (I don't know the right term) by the slider : does another material could be used to make them stronger?
- the 'fabric' used for the container
- the different velcros
- well ok, I don't have many other ideas of parts getting more hurted as the canopy and the lines, but I could speak about the slider, the bridle, the legs and chest straps, aso...
Nico

are these jumpers useing full ZP BASE canopies? or useing partial ZP topskin Canopies? personaly, i hve not jumped a full ZP canopy for BASE, but i jump a blackjack with ZP foreskin. F111 stretches slightly more than ZP, and that makes it stronger for BASE. the fabric around the line atatchment point stretches, equalizing the force and distributing it throughout the cell. BASE openings are fast and hard as you know, and ZP could over stretch, and tear. Im just speaking on opinion, i have not tested anything.
I would like to jump full ZP canopies at potato to see how they do. bring a specter 220.

-SPACE-

I've always been under the impression/understanding that the only reason for not using ZP is that full ZP would slow the inflation more than is preferable.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

when manufacturers make stuff they make choices regarding:
- materials
- cost
- strength
- durability
- reliabilty
- availability
- ease of use
etc.

one problem with making things strong and stretch resistant is that the various forces get absorbed by your BODY, not your RIG.

that's a good reason to prefer Dacron lines to anything else...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

- the lines that gets scratched (I don't know the right term) by the slider : does another material could be used to make them stronger?

Yes duck tape

- the 'fabric' used for the container

duck tape

- the different velcros

duck tape

- well ok, I don't have many other ideas of parts getting more hurted as the canopy and the lines, but I could speak about the slider, the bridle, the legs and chest straps, aso...

duck tape

And nowadays it comes in colors other than gray.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

one problem with making things strong and stretch resistant is that the various forces get absorbed by your BODY, not your RIG.

that's a good reason to prefer Dacron lines to anything else...

When I read this I instantly think of automobiles. Originally the frame and body were made to resist bending and breaking, but soon people realized that all the force of a sudden stop has to go somewhere. They realized that making things so they absorb this energy saves some people from at the very least whip lash.

While making things stronger may have some very positive impacts, the finality is that, no matter what "shit wears out."
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage