flyinchicken

Curious about sliders

HI,
I am Not a base jumper as of yet. I am VERY interested in the different safety aspects of skydiving gear versus Base gear. Can someone explain slider progression to me in very basic(dummy) terms? Ie....slider, large to small, webbed, no slider, with the approximate height of a jump added.

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?" --Shirdi Sai Baba, Indian saint

should this be added to the "before you post" info?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

From low to high:

(a) No Slider (or slider pulled down to links and attached there). Altitudes approximately 200-500 ft. Delays to about 4 seconds.
(b) Mesh Slider. Altitudes above approximately 500 feet (more like above 800 to be safe). Delays over 4 seconds. Be aware that short delay slider up deployments create more inconsistencies, and are not recommended, especially when in close proximity to a solid object.

Sail sliders are very rarely used in BASE, and generally only by experienced jumpers, especially those with special situations (like back problems).

Which type of mesh slider you use depends more on the canopy type and manufacturers recommendations than it does on the jump.

Some experienced jumpers will switch large to small mesh sliders, and mesh to sail sliders as they gain altitude (both overall freefall altitude and altitude at deployment). This is an increasingly uncommon practice (most people nowadays just use the one slider for all slider up jumps).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com