blitzkrieg

Ground Crew Etiquette

i'm not particularly fond of spectators, but in some cases a ground crew or getaway driver may be in order...

in which case, others may wish to tag along.

does anyone know of an informal "ground crew etiquette handbook"?? even if it's a smartass joke type thing.

it would be nice to have something that lays out some of the obvious for people who have apparently never done anything illegal or "sneaky".

of course you can tell them they cannot come. but i like being a nice guy, just don't want to end up in jail just for being that.:P

Flip flops are not conducive to running from the man...I reccomend ground crew wears good shoes.

Fact is, if someone is not "stealthy", you cannot teach them to be stealthy as you are booking away.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

i'm not particularly fond of spectators, but in some cases a ground crew or getaway driver may be in order...

Only use GC that are BASE jumpers themselves.... why bother using GC that are not jumpers? If you cant use BASE jumpers, then at least use people you know and trust and who know about what you are doing.... have a GCer invite another person that you have not requested to me shows that you should not have asked that guy to be GC in the first place....

that is my preference. everyone has to start somewhere though...

I don't need a ground crew manual. i just thought it would be funny if one existed that i could pass along to the aspiring BASE wannabes. in the wonderful world of the internet, i figured there would be something out there.

again, it's not like i need this... just thought i'd see if one existed. i don't need a ground crew as i rarely jump alone, and never with people i don't trust.

When I have taken GC that are not jumpers I first try and frighten them out of wanting to GC.... if that does not work then I want to know what they will do with certain situations... I would ask them how they would react to certain situations, trauma training is a plus..... I would ask them how they will react to me hitting the ground in freefall and watching me bursting open.... Decent GC IS a skill in itself, GC is not having a couple of guys with you that want to watch..... think about what you want from GC not what GC wants from you.....

I would tell them that the whole dropzone that is there for the after sunset soirée is looking at them and talking about how cool they are.

in my experience the ground crew needs to be a bail bondsman with cash in his pocket. he needs to be a real good lair. maybe even a lawyer. next he needs to have an extensive first aid kit and be a red cross certified adult CPR. he needs to have a fast car with fake license plates too. he needs to be equipped with two way radio to alert jumpers and have a flag for wind direction. it wouldn't hurt if he could also pack you up while you rest for the next jump. other than that i think most anyone would be fine to take along.

does anyone know of an informal "ground crew etiquette handbook"??

some useful books...
- first aid book
- map to the local hospitals
- YOUR phonebook
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

If they are skydivers, make sure they are not wearing skydiving shirts, hats etc. Also no skydiving stickers on the get away car.

When I have taken GC that are not jumpers I first try and frighten them out of wanting to GC....

go do solos instead;)

if that does not work then I want to know what they will do with certain situations... I would ask them how they would react to certain situations, trauma training is a plus.....

no need on solos

I would ask them how they will react to me hitting the ground in freefall and watching me bursting open....

you ask them to lie to you,unless they saw sombody die like that they cant answer that Q proberly..

Asking a person to GC aint the way to scare the hell out of people,if YOU ask them,you already gave them your trust,if not they will just think "what a A$$" as they walk away..

YOU as a jumper is responsible that the people you bring to a jump scene can deale the shit that can happen,if YOU dont ask the right people they arent to blame,you are..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Asking a person to GC aint the way to scare the hell out of people,if YOU ask them,you already gave them your trust,if not they will just think "what a A$$" as they walk away..

YOU as a jumper is responsible that the people you bring to a jump scene can deale the shit that can happen,if YOU dont ask the right people they arent to blame,you are..

I think you misunderstand me... I never ask people to GC who are not jumpers

Great topic! I would like to add the already great list that is developing out of this thread...

---------------------------------------------------
wwarped
some useful books...
- first aid book
- map to the local hospitals
- YOUR phonebook

tungflik
If they are skydivers, make sure they are not wearing skydiving shirts, hats etc. Also no skydiving stickers on the get away car.
---------------------------------------------------

SBCMac - Additions to the list
- Cell phone (Check that it works in area…)
- Radios
- First aid kit (Including splints for most common injuries…)

Advice
Be honest with your ground crew and tell them the following:
- They can be arrested for being GC and be charged with the same charges
- That things can go wrong (serious injury or death)
- Tell them plan and have rendezvous points, including matching stories.

All in all, your ground crew should be very aware of what’s going on, what can happen, and what will happen…

Michael

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

If its their first GC session and they are skydivers you could trick them into buying the beer after the getaway;).

why would you want to go out base jumping if you that ground crew following you around? it seems that there are better things to do with three women at one time...
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

no shit bro i never call for gound crew any more any way
once i told my friend at the dz if he wanted to stop by this antenna to watch me jump that would be cool he showed up with 4 car loads of high school kids so i jumped as soon as they started screaming jump
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Dude, where were they when I was there? I feel jipped.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof"