base736

Jumping post spine injury

Six months after an accident this summer, I'm feeling 100% -- and in some respects, better than that -- and, allowing another few months for things to set firmly before I abuse them again, I expect to be making my first jumps back early next year.

Following my accident, I had five vertebrae fused in my thoracic spine, and had hardware installed there (screws and rods) that I don't expect I'll be looking to get removed. I figure somebody -- probably several somebodies -- out there must have experience with similar injuries and hardware. Any recommendations, cautionary tales, etc?

I can run, jump, and so on without discomfort -- as I say, I'm feeling 100% -- and have no significant reduction in range of motion, but thought I'd put this out there. Clearly I'd rather not re-injure this one.

Looking forward to getting back in the air...

having no experience whith that kind of injury ill just welcome you backB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Im not as bad. It sounds ironic, but the reason I started BASE and skydiving was because other sports I do are too dangerous. Like I said it sounds bad but air cant hurt me. Its the impact that can. I do my best to stay within the realm of not going in, triple checking everything. In 1997 I hurt myself badly. I recieved a compression fracture to my L1 and L2 reducing them to 35% of what they were at 100% (size that is) I actually shrunk 1½ inches. So like I was saying I feel better about jumping sports than any with a sole connection to the ground. After '97 in 2000 I had a motorcycle accident on a YZ 125, fast as it could go. I re-broke my L1, and the facet joint connecting my L5 and the sacrum bones, 5 ribs, clavacle, punctured lung etc.... I never got any hardware, I sat for a long time for it to fuse together by itself.
I have hummed it low at the Perrine with no slider, down to about 4½ sec., a few head low. After many, I have only a sore back. My doc told me I should get a desk job and never do anything like skydiving. That was before I told him what I do for kicks. So as a broken( in numerous places) back sort of person. I fell good and healthy and strong. My suggestion is to jump a few times, see if it doest hurt or it does. I found for me it doesnt. If it hurts, dont risk it. Have you ever though about someone wiping your own ass. I did and I never want anyone but me to do that. Its all personal about how you wanna go about it. Theres my contribution to your thread. Good Luck hope you get to do what you want to.

I had an L5 / S1 laminectomy about 15 years ago. I took about 9 months off all forms of jumping.

Came back and decided that I would focus on BASE Jumping and CRW (both have hard openings :S)as my two main disciplines in parachuting.

Since the op I have done about 750 BASE jumps and heaps of CRW jumps (3 world meets and lots of nationals - not sure how many jumps).

My op was not as bad as yours, but there are some similarities.

What do I think?
- your back will never be as good as it was. But that does not mean you can't have fun. I have had a shit load of fun post op....
- as you get older and give it more hell (load it and apply forces onto it), you will start feeling niggly pains and discomforts.
- etc.

What can you do about it?
- try to minimise the hard openings. You will have to suss this out and it depends on the type of jumping you are doing and your experience. Sail sliders, rolling the nose, slider up, pilot chute size, body positioning during deployment, etc, can all help here.
- warm up / stretch prior to activity, your back will thank you. It only takes a few minutes of effort.
- if you have any, get rid of any weight at the front, and stregthen your stomach muscles and other structure around your back.
- if needs be, wear a back brace (one of those neoprene style ones are OK). They warm all the muscles, constrict / support the surrounding structures, and I think they warm the brain too (i.e. make you think it is helping ;))
- try to avoid super shitty landing areas. There the ones where you are more likely to do shitty stalled landings.
- canopy size (wing loading) - err slightly bigger if you are having trouble making a decision on what size.
- don't be in a rush to come back. And pace yourself once you do. Work your way back to normal jumping.

My back does get sore. And I expect as I get older, I may again be in a situation where I may need surgery (the other option is giving up - not an option).

Just because you are feeling 100%, does not mean your body is 100%. Respect it and what it has been through.

So, treat your body as a temple, but don't give up.

What have your doctors told you?
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I do not BASE jump yet but I am a PA whose specialty is Spine surgery and the replies so far are right on the money. Exactly what I tell my patients when they ask what they can do post-op after approx. 4-6 months. It is most important that you let your spine fuse where operated upon before subjecting it to any significant forces. The hardware placed in your spine serves the same function as a cast on a broken leg. It stabilizes the bones so they can fuse. If you do not fuse it is very likely that the hardware will eventually break leaving you with pain and other problems.

Have you ever though about someone wiping your own ass. I did and I never want anyone but me to do that.

Yes. :S

This is why I haven't ridden my motorcycle since the accident, and won't be snowboarding this season. I'm definitely giving this one time. It's one thing to re-break a leg by using it too early and think, "Man, I'm such a tool." It's a different game entirely with the spine.

Doctor's advice (which I'm taking very seriously) is that the fusion should take ~8 months to finish up. I'm giving it a little longer than that, and am hoping to have a CT done before I get back into jumping.

Thanks to everybody for the quick and thorough responses!