lauras

BASE from London Eye

I wouldn't call him a wannabe. According to his IMDB entry, he's being doing professional stunts on screen since 1999. His website is http://www.thestuntbase.com. He's also been doing BASE for quite a while.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Are you talking about the black and white footage of Don Broyles?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

The footage I saw was color. It was an olive drab round. Not close enough to tell what type of container, but he had two canopies.

>>>Make no mistake....this is one object that isn't getting flicked regularly.
How would you know? It was obviously possible to do without being noticed.J ust because you haven't been invited doesn't mean it isn't being done. *It's called a secret*
I don't know of anyone jumping it ....but then, why would I?
~J

You ever opened an object Jamie?

You know what's coming next? How do you know? What makes you think the thing you just jumped for (what you think is) the first time, wasn't jumped twice the night before?

Because all the evidence points to the contrary. It's a small world, word gets around and if you ask enough questions and keep your ears open, and are generally active in your area, you generally know.

If you don't have faith in that then the 'ask the locals' idea just took a dive right out the window.

Gary did astonishingly well to bag this jump. No question about it. Hats off to the guy. Unlike Greeny though, i didn't think taking it to the press was done in good taste. I thought it was tacky and cheapened an otherwise brilliant achievement.

However, seeing it through his eyes, as a stuntman, it undoubtedly looks good on his CV and must add kudos and credibility to him in his chosen profession.

With that in mind, maybe i was wrong to attribute it to simple ego. Bankability as a stuntman is a far greater motive for sure.

ian

>>>Make no mistake....this is one object that isn't getting flicked regularly.
How would you know? It was obviously possible to do without being noticed.J ust because you haven't been invited doesn't mean it isn't being done. *It's called a secret*
I don't know of anyone jumping it ....but then, why would I?
~J

You ever opened an object Jamie?

jamie has never opened an object and sold it out. he would never sell it to the media. he has more class than this guy in a tux 10 fold.

>It's a small world, word gets around and if you ask enough questions and keep your ears open, and are generally active in your area, you generally know.
~ Well some secrets are better kept than others.
"generally"
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings by suggesting that maybe it's happens, but you haven't been envited.
"my bad"
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

You're arguing the wrong case with the wrong fella here and skirting the point i made.

Using the logic that BASE is secretive and therefore no one knows everything about what gets jumped and when and by whom, leads you to ask how would you ever be able to claim you opened an object or were the first to do anything?

Simple. You can't. Because the moment you make that claim, along come the people who say 'well how do you know, it might have been done in secret' despite the fact that all the evidence might support your claim, you simply can't side step the 'how do you know for sure' element.

Now getting back to the inital point, all i ever said was that the London Eye wasn't getting jumped regularly, and i'll be even braver and say if at all. Jumping the London Eye is a major undertaking. It's not some rural A which can be flicked night after night without anyone knowing any better - just as I'm sure the ESB in NYC isn't.

Gary did well and anyone who's ever been and looked at it would agree on that.

What followed the jump remains controversial to say the least.

ian

>>I wouldn't call him a wannabe.<<

Good call, Craig. I actually thought there was something familiar about him, and after looking at the tape again, I'm sure I've seen him at some BASE event or another.

NickD :)BASE 194

Now getting back to the inital point, all i ever said was that the London Eye wasn't getting jumped regularly, and i'll be even braver and say if at all. Jumping the London Eye is a major undertaking. It's not some rural A which can be flicked night after night without anyone knowing any better - just as I'm sure the ESB in NYC isn't.

Couple of things.

Ian is about as "local" in London as anyone can claim to be; I reckon he would have a better-than-most idea of what is and isn't getting jumped. Of course this is merely my opinion.

Two things going on in this discussion; separate them and the issue goes away:

1) Did Gary execute an exquisite plan to get himself off a very technical object? Hell yes.

2) Did Gary then go and become a media whore to further his career? Also hell yes.

You can argue point two as long as you like, but it doesn't take away from point one.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Ivan is right, show more respect to Britain's top BASE jumper.

http://www.positive-design.co.uk/SBASE/contact.htm

Nice, now anyone who wishes can give him a buzz ant let him know exactly how they feel.:)
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

ts been done a few times...GC did it...DT did it and Roger did it too
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com