panavision

170' freefall

For 15 bucks are you gonna teach me how to do unpacked jumps as well? That would be the deal of the century!
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Wow!

I had not realized how much safer it is now to base jump so low given the advantages of the newest generation of gear. It used to be the average canopy time from ~210 was 5 seconds, which was slowed by the use of velcro, poor pilot chute throw techniques, and non-vented canopies. The jumpers in the video are getting 6 seconds of canopy time from 170 feet.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I was SL'ing it, but he did this jump 12 times in about a week had two off headings and got extremely lucky on one of those. He was looking for those two jumps to post.

BTW, my SL canopy time was around 8-10 seconds. I'll post a couple of those for reference also.

perfect exits well done,i would love to jump that cliffB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I was SL'ing it, but he did this jump 12 times in about a week had two off headings and got extremely lucky on one of those. He was looking for those two jumps to post.

BTW, my SL canopy time was around 8-10 seconds. I'll post a couple of those for reference also.

Is this 170' to impact? It is tough to tell on the video, but is there more altitude to the landing area? Those look like pretty reasonable canopy flight times if it is 170' to landing. Impressive.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

How exactly did you measure that "170ft" height.....

I lasered that exit at 173' to impact. I think the impact point I measured to was a very small distance (single digit feet) above the landing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I measured that cliff from the bottom and the top before i jumped it, and like Tom, I came up with 173ft to impact. There might be a couple of feet difference between impact and the landing area, but it essentially is the same height.

The jumper/s in the video that tfelber posted performed "text-book" jumps for an ultra-low freefall. From the pitch, to body-position, and even in the way they released their brakes...everything was done perfectly. Very nice job guys!

It is amazing what vents and valves have done for low jumps. When I made my first jump from that cliff, I static-lined a well-used Mojo and had a 5 1/2 second canopy ride. Annie H. static-lined right after me, and had a 10.2 second canopy ride. She was jumping a vented canopy, and even though there are several variables (such as wing-loading and the way you release your brakes), it was apparent to me that bottom-skin inlets were the trick for low jumps.

That little bump of a cliff has so much history behind it -- you can't help but love that place! On that particular day, it was even more special. When Annie landed from that 10 second canopy ride, she smiled at us and said "Thanks for sharing my 1,000th jump with me."

That sneaky girl didn't say a thing until after she landed...

:)
Bryan

Dammit Stokes!, enough of your positive posts with clear examples of canopy flight characteristics and site history relevant to this topic. There was some sweet sh*tslinging going on for a while and someone was gonna get whacked for sure.;)
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Dammit Stokes!, enough of your positive posts with clear examples of canopy flight characteristics and site history relevant to this topic. There was some sweet sh*tslinging going on for a while and someone was gonna get whacked for sure.;)

Spiderbaby, I busted out laughing when I read this! You have to be one of the funniest and most animated people I have ever met. And your right, let's not detract from the rising tension!

Hey BnAiScEk RnIiGtGrEoR, tell us more about this theory of yours regarding line slack... ;)

Bryan

This thread is the same sh!tslinging if thats what your into

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24531

Dustin

How refreshing it always is to read the perennial cry of a retired jumper pining for the halcyon days and at the same time disparaging 'modern jumpers' and blowing their own horn. I think it requires significant literary skill to be able to achieve that difficult task.

Thank You for the compliments. You are far too kind. :$

However, unfortunately I am not retired. As a part of John Howard’s Australian Industrial Relations reforms and his aged employment strategy, he wants nobody retiring until they are at least 3 feet under. Hence, that subsequently categorizes me as an unemployed jumper. Do you have any employment opportunities for me? I am looking for something relatively safe with minimal risk. I am not really into modern tech. Something old fashioned more relevant to my generation. Perhaps a s/l or pca span position somewhere with absolutely no adverse meteorological conditions, large landing areas (preferably water with boat rescue), etc. I will send you my resume if you like. I’ll try not to embellish it too much, but that might be difficult for me. I have been undertaking some journalism work with organizations like www.dz.com in order to satisfy some of the work requirements of Little Johnny. But I would dearly love something with greater job satisfaction.

“Refreshing” and “perennial” are an oxymoron.

blowing their own horn - telling stories of your bold feats

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=996250;#996250

Yeah, I’m a big head swell. Sorry, can’t help myself. But aint I great!!!!

Sarcasm aside, I wonder what basis you are using to make your rather auspicious claims about the ostensible scourge of ‘modern jumpers’. Your post contains many assumptions, the most notable being that modern jumpers don’t understand the risks of BASE.

Sarcasm aside, I thought I was using facts as the basis of my so called assumptions. You know: Nick’s list, dead bodies, incidents, near misses, experienced people, students, today’s jumpers, yesterday’s jumpers, etc. I am not overly concerned about the subset of jumpers that is not modern for one very good reason – THEY ARE NOT JUMPING ANYMORE. And if they are, they are a part of the group that are modern jumpers.

Hence, the guy who quit 5 years ago is at “minimal” risk of hurting him/her self BASE jumping nowadays.

I would like to emphasize this further by saying that it is pertinent to minimize mistakes happening on today’s and tomorrow’s jumps. Not to admonish those people from 15 years ago. Those mistakes have happened. We can’t change them, only learn from them.

Jumpers 15 years ago had less opportunity to manage the risks as compared to today’s jumpers. They had less information, less people to contact regarding mentoring, less opportunity to share knowledge than today, less technology, less data, underdeveloped techniques, etc. Today’s jumpers have all the experience of yesteryear to draw upon. They have the internet, articles, publications, video’s, manufacturers, training courses, and a wide range of contacts to source their experience / knowledge / skill / and risk management strategies. But many people choose not to. This is becoming more common nowadays.

The obvious implication here is that only you and your cronies do. Rather a bold statement. It may be true of some, but those people have a habit of dying or smashing themselves rather quickly so I don’t think it fair to tar everyone with the same brush.

The implication is yours and yours only. If you look beyond the person you are attacking, harden up, stop taking this personally, and focus on the content of what is written, you will have read the quote: “very competent people can stuff up simple things. I have done it. DW has done it. You too can do it!!!!!! “. I don’t know about you, but that statement alone quite clearly suggests that I know that I have stuffed up, and that even the great jumpers can stuff up (like DW) –> By definition, newbies have a higher probability of stuffing up. They need to take extra care. I believe the only advantage that “cronies” have is experience & time. Some of it hard earned, some of it learned from others.

You are correct in that there are many capable and responsible jumpers out there today – a greater percentage in fact. The fact that we don’t have people dying every five minutes is testament to that. But whether you want to recognize it or not, we also have too many close calls that are born out of total ignorance and stupidity. If I had my laptop with me, I would attach a screen grab that show me in an act of stupidity and carelessness at KL tower a few years ago (Slim, Dwain, & Johnny Utah were on the same jump – very high calibre people – I brought the average down :P ).

Anyway, the times they are a changing but people will continue to push the limits. You will say they are being silly and uniformed while telling stories of your bold feats (but of course that was different) at the same time. It’s all one big circle I guess.

Yes. Times are changing. People will push limits. However, I will not say the above – they are your words. If you can read what is in my whacky head, you deserve a psych PhD. I will say that the only difference between silly acts of the past and silly acts of the future is that you can learn from one cheaply, and others may learn from one expensively. My hope is that people learn cheaply - - - - oh shit . . . that happens . . . then I won’t do it that way . . . . . .

Risk management??? Here are some things that you have said:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1564044;#1564044

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1296148;#1296148

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1704006;#1704006

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1667497;#1667497

Personal attacks (subtle and obvious):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2516946;#2516946

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1658464;#1658464

Info Request Quotes:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1666235;#1666235

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1665601;#1665601
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Well at least you didn't take me too seriously...

In regards to the words “Refreshing” and “perennial” being oxymoronic, that may have been the case if my post had not been dripping in sarcasm.

Good job listing my previous posts though. That was important...

Jesse.

Hey Tom,

It seems that during the course of your overly methodical, systematic, painstaking, exhaustive, comprehensive, scrupulous, thoroughly unnecessarily verbose (tiring isn't it...), and entirely vain endeavour to defend your honour that you have missed the principal thrust of Jesse's comments.

Mainly that you do not BASE jump any more and have not BASE jumped for many years.

Thus, quite simply, a consideration of your opinions must be tempered with the basic fact that you are no longer an authority on the subject.

Whilst I do not wish to gratuitously depricate you, it is conceivably important to allow the BASE community at large to recognise that any opinions expressed by yourself are those of a non-jumper, and subsequently not of someone possesing current practical knowledge.

When information can be the difference between life and death in a sport it may be wise to have the humility to simply admit one's ripening.

As for correct usage of the English language, you omitted a possessive apostrophe in your typing of the Queen's English.

If not exactly a figure of speech by which locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect such as an oxymoron, then this oversight is at least glaringly ironic.

Or perhaps the latter three syllables of the aforementioned grammatical phenomenon should simply be applied to surmise the situation.

Polecat.

I lasered that exit at 173' to impact. I think the impact point I measured to was a very small distance (single digit feet) above the landing.

I know this thread is old and someone drug it up to talk shit...but there is a 159-162 foot exit point being freefalled there now...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Whilst I do not wish to gratuitously depricate you, it is conceivably important to allow the BASE community at large to recognise that any opinions expressed by yourself are those of a non-jumper, and subsequently not of someone possesing current practical knowledge.

i wouldn't classify tom as a non-jumper. But as a highly experienced BASE jumper who put his rig away. the knowledge, experience, and insight that a person like tom can bring to the table, maybe dated a little, but not worthless. respect.

i wouldn't classify tom as a non-jumper. But as a highly experienced BASE jumper who put his rig away. the knowledge, experience, and insight that a person like tom can bring to the table, maybe dated a little, but not worthless. respect.

Hey Nic,
I believe he was referring to a different Tom who is from Oz. I finally had the chance to meet the Tom he is talking about on the weekend and he said was still regularly jumping the local 186' B in our area, but I guess that doesn't count.
See you again in Cali in May for some more boogie nights!:)
Peace

Jim
'Don't let your ambitions get mixed up with your capabilites'

Thanks for your feedback. I presume you were at the video night going by the AGM minutes. What a great opportunity to meet and provide face to face feedback. I am not sure what you look like so I did not know who to say hello to. I would be happy to introduce myself and chat. Feedback on the forums is a lot easier I suppose. Maybe next time.

r.e. your post:

Not tiring. You have put in lots of time and energy collecting all those rooly big grammaticals. Great work. I appreciate your efforts.

I have no honour. I have not missed Jesse's principal thrust either. However, I think you might be thrusting slightly in the wrong direction. A hole is a hole I suppose.

I have never jumped. I am just good at using Premiere and Photoshop.

I am flattered that you actually think that I was an authority on the subject in distant times. Thanks for the compliments. You know I did some jumping with the God of BASE - Jesus of course. That is where I got my authority from. He said for me to go forth and teach the world about the faith and both this lifetime and the afterlife. I thought he wanted his disciples to hang around in this lifetime for a while. I got it all wrong. He meant the afterlife. I will now have to retract and unteach all of his disciples. I have seen the error of my ways. I will repent. Thank you for highlighting this to me.

I would have thought that a non-jumper would have no practical knowledge whatsoever. What is that word? Oxymoron? Or lets stick to 2 syllables instead of 3. Maybe the latter two? Is that what you meant?

I am happy to admit I am old and fat and lazy and ugly. And you are more than welcome to shit on me too. As long as I am providing entertainment, that is all that matters.

FYRef
- http://dictionary.reference.com/
- http://www.answers.com/main/reference.jsp

Check out these CRW Big Way Shots
. I was not 3rd row middle and I won't be going to CA in June and Fl in Nov for the WR and some "other" jumping!!!! ;) :$ :P :o

xoxoxoxoxo - Me

p.s. to all BASE jumpers out there, please do not take any advice from me. I am a non - jumper who does not know what he is talking about. I have never jumped either. Even less so in the last few years.

There you go. Fixed. World Saved.

edit to remove jumper's name ~TA
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

You big old fucking liar!! I thought I could trust BASE jumpers!
But I guess your not a BASE jumper so it is ok.....

Edited to add fat and lazy
'Don't let your ambitions get mixed up with your capabilites'

I am happy to admit I am old and fat and lazy and ugly.

I wouldn't say you are old Tom.
;)
g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"