panavision

170' freefall

Thanks Brian.

Freefalling from 170 feet is damn dangerous. I would only do it over water, on a rare occasion. Static line or a direct bag system is the way to go at that altitude, but both require a severe attention to rigging details, which can be difficult in at a harrowing exit point. The British are quite established in static line techniques and exploiting low objects. In my opinion, they are probably the best at it. I am still shocked that Alan Hethington, a Brit, static lined a 9 story building and did it clean back in the late 1980s.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

dont think im ripping on you personally (much)

im just saying that there are a few people here, who really know thire shit, and it would serve any newer jumper well, to open their mind, before they open thier mouth.. good luck, dont die.

I think Dave actually does a pretty good job of stating his experience level, to let people reading decide for themselves what to make of his advice.

You got no experience whatsoever, an attitute and you are jumping solid objects and giving advices.

You really don't want to play that game. You know why not?

Because:

(a) You showed up here immediately after another username was disabled;
(b) You give identical advice to the that user;
(c) You claim 1200 BASE jumps, but none of the very experienced jumpers in your area have ever heard of you or made a jump with you;
(d) You give dangerously bad technical advice (like advising people that it's better to induce line slack in a rollover than to maintain line tension).

Maybe you shouldn't be giving people advice either. At least Dave is honestly representing both himself and his level of experience.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

So, after reading this thread ower the days, i just have to put in my 5 cent. I did a freefall with a handhelt F111 48' connected to a FOX 265 V-Tec from the backend of the "Holmenkollen" skijump in Oslo, Norway (Sitenaming no problem, we have plenty of cops to pick us up...)
From the exit (on a fence, just by the top windows in the picture) it is 52m (170.6 feet) and i ended up with time to flare. :)
Like it has been stated over and over again, this is not a thing to do daily! So i did it once just to prove to myself that is was as possible as i wanted it to be (yeah, quote me on that...) I have it on DV-tape somewhere so if anyone wants to see how it looks like just say the word and maby it will be awailable on a website near you.
Is has been repeated by three others jumpers, and we all came to the same conclution. Fun, but just once :P We often do PA from the same site, but i only count it as a jump when it's freefall (that's just me...) So, i would say that my skills was in order, but i owe the jump more to those who designed and produced a cannopy witch made it possible to to B|

/Johnnyb

I have seen that in video somewhere. anyone remember what it was called on SDM.com?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have seen that in video somewhere. anyone remember what it was called on SDM.com?

I think it was on headdown.net, who asked us not to mirror their videos and now they are gone. Does anyone know the headdown.net guys? WOuld they let us host the videos now?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I guess this is my motivation to do some data recover on an old drive where I had most of SDM downloaded to.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I think Dave actually does a pretty good job of stating his experience level, to let people reading decide for themselves what to make of his advice.

You got no experience whatsoever, an attitute and you are jumping solid objects and giving advices.

You really don't want to play that game. You know why not?

Because:

(a) You showed up here immediately after another username was disabled;
(b) You give identical advice to the that user;
(c) You claim 1200 BASE jumps, but none of the very experienced jumpers in your area have ever heard of you or made a jump with you;
(d) You give dangerously bad technical advice (like advising people that it's better to induce line slack in a rollover than to maintain line tension).

Maybe you shouldn't be giving people advice either. At least Dave is honestly representing both himself and his level of experience.

I think the masses now want to know if baserigger really is Nick Nitro???

And Tom you know that I cannot even respond fairly to your points because I will be banned by the boss but let me just say there are many unpacked jumps where line stretch cannot be physically maintained and this without ill effects.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

I strongly disagree. Maintaining line tension is extremely important in ALL unpacked jumps!

Do you see where I am coming from?

Are you coming off your high horse? :D Hope that doesn't get me B& :)

Faber, I was just asking since I have seen people go stowed from 60 meter. But I guess that last 10 meter makes a world of difference. Thx.

I was just asking since I have seen people go stowed from 60 meter

hopefully they dont do it often...
I saw serval stowed jumps off 240ft,but see no reasson..
I will STRONGLY warn againts going stowed off 200ft(60m).

I were just picking at you,60m is in the lower end of freefall i never saw any in person go stowed from that alti,infact most people i meet preffere to get a SL or pca off that alti..;)

Johnny,i long time wanted to do that jump.. were did you land? from the video i saw from this place people can by a good pca or SL make it to the parking lot.. whats the altitude comparison down there and how long a flight is it?

Has Peter Pan returned from down south? I could use his contact info if you could pm me cheersB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Really, please show me a drop under without causing line slack.

There is more in life than rollovers and tard overs.

People got brain washed about the role of line tension in unpacked jumps. Understand the physical dynamics of such jumps and you understand why some slack in the lines will cause no harm.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

I STRONGLY suggest not to BASE jump altogether :S

Dude, if someone wants to push the line then be it who the fuck are any of us to suggest anything to anyone, expecially to people more skilled than we are? If anyone has the skills to throw a double gainer off a 200' what is the big deal? Read again, HAS THE SKILLS. People kill themselves off the easiest object there is, at least anybody attempting such a technical jump, they will approach it with a different attitude (most of the time) than just another freak show jump, DW being the perfect example.

I see no point anymore to S/L myself or go PCA but I do not look down people who so do off the same object I FF. We all perceive risk and reward differently.

calm down dude..:S

I think you forget that this is more a beginers forum than a superexperienced forum..

I STILL STRONGLY WARN AGAINST GOING STOWED OFF 200ft

if someone wants to push the line then be it who the fuck are any of us to suggest anything to anyone

i do care,and if people are going stowed off 200ft its not going to be whith me watching it..

I do know that people has done so,does that mean its smart?I THINK NOT!!! and its my right to say so and surgest people NOT to do so,specially at a forum like this...

People kill themselves off the easiest object there is

wow you got the point dude.. thats why i warn against going stowed off 200ft..

at least anybody attempting such a technical jump, they will approach it with a different attitude (most of the time)

so lets say f#¤k thouse who belive they can theyre too stupied anyway?

DW being the perfect example.

AND ONLY!!! his dead as of today if you didnt know... Were only humans,we will make mistakes at some point,even DW did so and payed the ultimate price...

I see no point anymore to S/L myself or go PCA but I do not look down people who so do off the same object I FF

IM NOT going to watch you freefall the objects i SL,doing so mostlikely will kill you,only conklusion has to be that you aint as low as you might think you are...IF you can freefall it so can others,people actualy jump below the line were you can freefall...

We all perceive risk and reward differently.

Werry true,but most people dont see any reward in beeing injuryed or killed.. do you?
becourse saying "going stowed off 200ft is ok" will injury or kill most of thouse who post here.. think twice...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The linked video is of legendary British jumper Dan The Man (DTM)

snigger, snigger. Oh stop it....purleeese.....no more, please no more....

No comment...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I STRONGLY suggest not to BASE jump altogether :S

Dude, if someone wants to push the line then be it who the fuck are any of us to suggest anything to anyone, expecially to people more skilled than we are?

whoa...
your "use" of logic is amazing...

do you not recognize the difference between "advice" and "control." heck, don't you think DW would have advised against the feats he succeeded at?

isn't BASE a sport where cautious advice is good advice?

on a forum like this, how can anyone determine that only people of superior skill will read the advice given?

are we to only let newbies offer advice?

Faber said nothing about stopping anyone, just warning against certain actions.

personally, your rant degraded the credibility of your advice. then again, you will probably resort to futher insults and profanity to simple say, "I do not care."
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

You call your mom Mother?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because you colonialists can't spell properly and choose to ignore the Queens English, it does not mean you can . . . . . . . .

For your information, the shorthand version of Mother is Mum, not Mom!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading back on what I wrote, it did sound quite nasty. I didn't really mean it that way.

Mother, mom, mum, ma, it's all the same I suppose, as long as you don't dress like her and go stowed from 170'; that would look odd.

Besides, I am not British (well, at this stage with all the family i've got over there...). 1/2 South African, 1/2 French and I won't go in to detail about grand parents and great grand parents because...

Talking rubish now; i'm going back to bed, too windy this morning any way; for a change...
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

also true and not only is there water, there is also nice sand

"Nice sand" That's a new one....
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Really, please show me a drop under without causing line slack.

There is more in life than rollovers and tard overs.

People got brain washed about the role of line tension in unpacked jumps. Understand the physical dynamics of such jumps and you understand why some slack in the lines will cause no harm.

now there's no doubt

your ignorance and misunderstandings of the dynamics of unpacked jumps have me convinced that you are Nick Rugay

please do yourself and all of us a favour and try to find out what really matters with unpacked jumps before spouting the highly dangerous fallacies you are spouting here

I do unders with no lineslack all the time at the potato, in fact I will only do them when i have enough wind to give me a good amount of linetension.

paypal me $15 for 'when good times go bad - part 3' and you can see my buddy Trent do a NO lineslack under

or you can just go watch Maggot's copy, as you are Nick Rugay....

next tell me again how the 3-way rollover double PCA is intrinsically impossible to do safely?? you just don't understand it..

and dynamics of a jump is NOT NEARLY as important as a GOOD Failure Mode Effect Analysis

pattern recognition helps too....

DW did many FF's from the 156', but never an aerial.

Ref. a post DW made on Blink

Lowest freefall over hard earth: In the 156' range (according to ranger finder). I've done this a bunch of times with customized gear. This is asking for broken bits.

Does anyone know if this would have included anything over and above what we see on current canopy technology (post form 2003)?

This is asking for broken bits.

Listen to DA MAN