The consequences of an injury

After reading the numerous threads, I think the jump community so easily forgets the consequences of an injury. What's the matter people?

I guess I learned the hard way too but the numerous obviously dumb injuries are a little overwhelming to me.

I have made mistakes too. Over my jump career, I have broken my tailbone, shattered my femur, broke the ball of my inner ankle, hyperextended my knee, and fallen in razor wire. I can tell you that these injuries are life long. I still walk with a limp occasionally. Phantom pain is life long and will only get worse with age. Weather changes can truly suck. I cannot sit for extended periods which affects my work meetings.

The financial consequences can also be devastating. Any one of the numerous medical bills that are not paid can haunt you to the point that you cannot buy a house, car, get a job, or rent an apartment.

Plan you jumps and jump your plan. :|
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I just got out of the hospital 4 or 5 hours ago. I had the entire outer meniscus removed and about half of the inner meniscus because I'm to stupid to land in a big green field...
The doctor told me I will probably have atrocious (I don't know if this is English...) in about 10 to 15 years. But the whole thing has two positive aspects: At least my right and left knee are now damaged more or less symmetrical and the second is that I'm already old...
I'm joking now but I'm not looking forward to the day that the atrocious kicks in...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

arthritis ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

atrocious (I don't know if this is English...)

"atrocious" is a word in the English language but you used it in the wrong context. It means that something is "absurd or ridiculous". For instance it is atrocious that my former property management company allowed one of my prior tenants to deface the oak woodwork in my house when the tenant let their children draw pictures with a felt marker on my oak walls and oak cabinets.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You sound a little upset:)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

Osteoarthritis and Arthritis are both Atrocious
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Degenerative arthritis is not a good look at 32 years of age... I get reminded every day that maybe that extra little bit of freefall was not such a good idea...

lost my job, got into debt, hurt the people around me because of the mental battle a slow recovery and multiple surgeries has on someone...

I got cocky, I got complacent, and I got overly confident of my capabilities to battle gravity and try and actually get a win rather than a stalemate....

I fucked up... and it’s so easy to do....

Pain is not temporary.... and glory is over rated...

What doesn't kill you makes stronger, right?

My family and friends, hell pretty much everyone, have been asking me if I'm going to stop now. I tell them if I stepped on a roller skate getting out of my car should I stop driving, stop getting out of my car, what???

If I lost my leg to this incident, which is highly unlikely but still possible if I get the wrong type of infection, I'd be that much more motivated to jump again.

It has caused some problems in my life, but it has also caused me to think about everything in a different light. It pulls you out of what you think and know and gets you into an area of investigation. Ity presents you with an opportunity to look at what it is you do and whether or not it fits your life.

Not speaking to anyone specifically, but if you're drowning in sorrow over the consequences of what happened, take this opportunity to review the possibility of your life and make choices appropriate to where you feel you should be.

I now have a much more positive light toward life than I ever did.... but I will say that my journey through injury did have a similar mental effect on me as when I was addicted to heroin. Don’t belittle the people that struggle through the metal effects of being injured. Although, getting over my injury and my addiction to heroin (and lets be honest, every fucking single drug on this earth) have enabled me to have an outlook on life that is overly happy.

I heard once a quote, (I think from Tom A) “If this had put me off BASE then I did not really understand the consequences in the first place”, and I think that is so true.

Many people can’t understand why I went back to BASE after my injury, and I always quote that to them… I have to admit, if an injury stops you BASEing, then why were you BASEing in the first place???

Going back to my heroin analogy, when we sat around sharing needles and shooting up brown in a dirty room and one of us went “blue” and we/they had to revive them/me, not once did they/I say….. I don’t think this is for me... We know the risks and the pleasure out weigh them... If the risk scares you off one day because you get close to the "end result", then I actually feel that you did not know what you were doing in the first place…

Broken tib/fib (inc dislocated ankle)
Shattered femur
Both ACL's
Both meniscus (right knee)

It seems I'm a little bit clumsy.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

No shit.....

ok as long as we are all baring our "penises".

I smacked half dome in 1996. I had no business being there. I was detoxing. Don't ask.

I fractured my pelvis. My roommates at the time asked me if I realized there was another way to live.

Of course I told them to fuk off that there is no other way to live.

I was young, I lived down stairs. No body would buy me food or even talk to me. I had to crawl my sorry ass up the stairs every day just so I could eat. They watched me scrape and dig and claw and cry from the pain.

But you know what, I made it to the damn frigde!

"I told you, you shoulda killed me last year."

nahh mate your just FAT:ph34r: hows the healing going mate?

460,not many years ago i started the cool sport of fixed object jumping,i knew people get injuryed and even killed.
People i know/knew has been injuryed worse than i,people has died...
anyway on a solo on my jump #30(5-6years ago) i fuck up a rearriser landing leaving me on the cold feild in late sept for 2,5 hour,nearly killing me...
I thourght i had just broken my fib n tib,i indeed had...
3 days befor my 30years bday i can tell you if i get a new ankel or if the ankel has to be stiff..happy b day:|
T minus 9days.. til i know how my future will turn...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Whiplash, torn neck/shoulder muscles and severely bruised ribcage from hard opening last summer(skydiving canopy)....$2300.00 hospital bill.

BD2006 compression fracture of my L1 Vertebra, ambulance ride, X-Rays, ER charges....$4200.00 (so far)

Having Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Insurance...Priceless!:)
If it wasn't for good health insurance I would probably have to give up jumping. [:/]
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

you guys are weak. im 22 and i already have phantom pains, severe arthritis, walk with a pretty bad limp, constant pain.

im screwed for life.

I've jump for years with guys plagued with acquired, selective, systemic vaginitis.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

I've jump for years with guys plagued with acquired, selective, systemic vaginitis.

But I think mine is genetic...

BD2006 compression fracture of my L1 Vertebra, ambulance ride, X-Rays, ER charges....$4200.00 (so far)

Care to share what happened?

So did we plan the jump and jump the plan when that fog rolled in on our climb the other night? That was pretty intense, and pretty stupid none the less. "Man, that other antenna looks like Jack and the bean stalk.." "Shine the light!" "I can't see shit"...
Just to clarify, we were just too damn lazy to climb down, and too much partying to do afterwards! BUT, this should not be the excuse for a bad limp, or death. Think I will opt not to be so lazy to climb down next time.
Edit to add: I have also climbed down more than 10 times in the last 2 months. Seems like the more I jump, the more willing I am to just say to hell with it, it just doesn't feel right, and there is always next time.
Kind of an ironic thread bro..

Ha, I spent that much with one helicopter rescue ride this year and was not even hurt... :)But seriously, with my injuries in the last 12 month with this ride inclueded I spent (luckily my insurance paid a big part of it) over 10'000 USD
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

$90K from shattered femur - just below the neck. Not even from BASE but GL-ing - and no heli, just ambulance!

Still fighting my lame Blue Cross AND supplemental (we pay your out of pocket!)insurance 1.5 years later... my credit is screwed til it gets resolved. More and more it looks like I'm gonna have to hire an attorney...

That's cause you're a feeble old man, JJ - suck it up! Two very swollen ankles are all I'll cop to - climbing injuries worse - ACL's sound like a gunshot when they blow :(

if we jump together, all i have to do is run faster than you if the man is chasing us.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

First off...the only complainin I'm doing is cause of my phucked up, muny grubbin lame ass insurance companies! god damn chinsy muthas! I was never late on my premiums!!!

And second - I may be old...and I may be feeble...but I'm still ALIVE and walkin and postin to you geeky nerds! I may have knocked my head against the ground a few too many times...and I may have broken a few too many bones BUT these feeble ol bones'll kick yer ass swanmaestro - whoever you are! Lame ass, weak little skydivin, wanna be base jumper beeaatch!

I'm sure BASE is just waiting to take another inexperienced-non thinkin', "oh look at me I'm a skydiver and I'm cool" soft and cuddly... easy victim like you...

The reaper awaits!B|

Don't be a (I know all about parachutes and physics and fear) skydiver...:ph34r:

JJ