John_Scher

Chest Mount Reserves - Advice Request

All,

I want to do a bunch of Base oriented skydives on my BJ 280 in a Perigee II (velcro) rig. The purpose of the exercise is to get terminal experience on my Black Jack, experiment with the Deep Brake settings, do some more accuracy, get used to my PF suit before taking it off an object and make a start on my WS project.

Rather than buying a large container & reserve and then dismantling and reassembling everything each time I want to use it for sky diving I am thinking about attaching a chest mount reserve to my Perigee II.

I have discussed this with Marty and he approves the rig for terminal and suggested that I might find a chest mount reserve in the German market place.

I have used chest mount reserves quite a few times, many years ago when I first started jumping so I am somewhat familiar with their operation and usage. I also appreciate that the chest mount reserve will inhibit my tracking and WS.

Q1 – Have you or do you know any one that has previously used a chest mount reserve attached to a Base rig in the skydiving environment?

Q2 – Do you think that such a practise is sensible?

Q3 – Do you know where I might purchase a chest mount reserve?

Thanking you in advance

John Scher

Does it have to be TSO or you just want a secondary system?

In which country are you gonna be using it and what are the regulations in such a country?

You can contact RWS and inquire about the cest-mount system they use on their skyhook demos, it's very low bulk.

You might also want to look at mil surplus stores and gov auctions. You can pick one of those for pennies but they will be very bulky.

If you don't need it to be certified I'd find a good rigger than can build one, it's actually very easy and you can put a square reserve in it and have it done your specs like a throw out instead of a spring loaded.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Base Rigger,

Thanks for your reply.

No it doesn't have to be TSO'd and I will be using it here in Kenya.

There are no riggers here that would be able to build me such a system.

I will definitely look into the RWS option.

John Scher

Then If I were in you I find a rigger making it a container for a square reserve. Your SD reserve is a PD 113 so I just put that one in it and you save money instead of buying another reserve. It'll be very small. I'd close it with two curved pin and put a throw-out with a freebag and that will save you additional bulk.

As for the construction all you need is type VIII (at a minimum) webbing that will make both the risers and the attachment point. So in the end it'll look like two longer risers with the container attached. You can get a removable l-bars to attach it to the chest mount loops the Perigee already has.

A chest mount system like that with a PD 113 should not be too detrimental performance wise (tracking and WS).
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Rather than buying a large container & reserve and then dismantling and reassembling everything each time I want to use it for sky diving I am thinking about attaching a chest mount reserve to my Perigee II.

There isn't actually that much dismantling and reassembling required to switch the canopy between the two rigs. In the most simplest setup you just open your three rings in you Perigee, hook the risers (and canopy) to your skydiving rig and change the bridle and PC to your skydiving bridle and you are good to go. It takes about 5min to go from rig to rig. I'd strongly suggest to think about using skydiving container for skydiving and BASE container for BASE.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

It's my understanding he wants to actually use his Perigee container.

Anyway opinions are alike...and here is mine.

Look at the pic, it's a Perigee with a removable L-bar and l-bar risers. Just imagine a reserve attach to it and a container.

Q1 – Have you or do you know any one that has previously used a chest mount reserve attached to a Base rig in the skydiving environment?

Thanking you in advance

John Scher

A1 - Yes. used it on pin rigs. Put french links through the legstrap articulation, and hooked a bellywart with a round in it.
A2 - I felt comfortable exiting flat and stableas long as I was very carefuly protecting the handle on the reserve. I also felt comfortable taking it to about 1000ft. The bellywart had the RPC removed, so it was "pull-punch-throw" that I have never executed live - so a little extra altitude was more comforting.
A3 - no solid idea, but they pop up now and again. I have seen them in the classifieds for 50 bucks empty. and I have seend 24' rounds for 50 bucks as well...

wearing that thing is very uncomfortable and in a small plane (which I imagine is what you want, due to lower stall speed) you really gotta watch it to make sure you dont snag the handle.

Yes.

Yes

Try the classifieds. I've got one here that I'd loan you if you were closer, but the gear is quite vintage, and is of sufficient historical value that I don't want to try shipping it to you.

As a side note, this is a sort of fun configuration to use for a canopy transfer over water, if you have a chance to try that out.

Edit to add: If you want I can dismantle this one and take some photos and measurements, which ought to allow it to be replicated by a good rigger.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi John,

we germans have reserves for this. But your project seems to have a major error by trying a velcro rig off a plane. There are many possibilities of premature container opening due to climb out and freefall(moving itself or scratching on parts of the plane or high airspeeds directly to the shrivel flap, extreme tracking body positioning, etc.). Therefore you must use a pin rig with adequate pin pressure, etc.
And as you go on, saying you don't need TSOed materials, so how do you need a reserve there anyway? Do you have to carry one because of some restrictions of the law, the dropzone or is it your own wish?
The german reserves are mount on some D-Rings which you wear at the tersh loops. But to make it reasonable, there has to be a reinforcement on Perigees for example. The bottom of the reserve is also fixed at the lower MLW. That would compromise with pressurized clothings or wingsuits.
The round canopy inside the container is intended to be additionally pulled to a partial malfunctioning BASE main. This never happend yet, but it's just a speedbrake then and not a alternative BASE canopy. So this should only be considered if you really have to use them by law enforcement.
Technically there are much more details like you have to mount an apex line up to 5 sec delay and you have to remove it when you take a longer delay. So you need to know how to pack this reserve.
And this changes your minimum pullaltitude for this reserve from 200ft to 350ft AGL.
It works with a free diaper with tailpocketlike linestowing. It must be thrown away during the pull move and stretches out because of mass inertia. The inflation depends on the excisting airflow which is present concerning your malfunction and delay.
It's an high speed tested canopy and can be pulled allone in the case of a total. But it is never a substitude for a BASE specific canopy.
At least you should know how to land such an unsteerable sinking ship and how it affects your emergency procedure behaviour.
The price for a complete reserve is about 1000 Euros plus shipping.
We here had to show this system because we were forced to. No discussion.

So I recomment better to borough a big student rig somewhere to pack in your BJ for testjumps out of a plane and you will have much more fun and less technical obstacles or even problems.

M.

base rigger dont wast your breath this guy needs help from a srink not a base jumper u test jump base gear off objects not planes

this sport is supposed to be scary it not skydiveing
skydiveing is for pussy's so if you want to be a pussy dont base jump u give the rest of us abad name.
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

The purpose of the exercise is to get terminal experience on my Black Jack, experiment with the Deep Brake settings, do some more accuracy

Keep in mind that a good slider down DBS (that doesn't stall with a rear riser turn and keeps your forward speed as low as possible) will stall slider up. So you can't really set your DBS on skydives. Also, don't think your toggles are going to be set very well either if you plan on switching to slider down jumps. This is assuming you use the line mod for slider down.

I hate to say it but I amost find my self sideing with Magot on this. I've built a number of designs with new harnesses, hiden rigs, all the way to very scary back pack/rigs. I've tested them all off objects. I mean you wouldn't wont the sport to become too boring.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

my piont is if u cant do the following u should not be base jumping

land any base canopy any where
pack for your self
hook up your gear by your self

1 got a mojo 190 in the mail with a rig threw it in the car
and while i drove a stick no less i hooked it up climded
the object threw the main over the edge aka roll over so i could inspect the canopy and do a good line check at the same time . and jumped it
so with in 2 hours of receiveing the rig i was flying the fucker.
its a canopy it has to strings to stear it and it does not get any easier than that
good luck and soft landing bro
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

No doubt!!!
I'm so glad riggerlee agrees w/us. I was beginning to think maggot and I were the only people left that tested BASE gear on a BASE jump. This isn't skydiving folks!!! That's why it's so fun!
I just got myself a new canopy to use for a bit, so I grabbed a 6pack and swapped the canopy onto my risers in the dark and the rain, while chasing my dog down from attacking muskrats at the pond. got up pre dawn and did a hop&pop from 4...................... hundred. I guess I am a bit of bitch as I did pull high to check my brake settings and try some riser turns.
nothing like a solo jump w/new gear on your back to get the juices flowing.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

why not get a big student rig you can rent at most drop zones and just free pack your bj if need be any experienced base jumpers in your area can help to show u how to free pack it this is what i did when i got a new chute

we germans have reserves for this. [...]
Technically there are much more details like you have to mount an apex line up to 5 sec delay and you have to remove it when you take a longer delay. So you need to know how to pack this reserve. [...]
It works with a free diaper with tailpocketlike linestowing. It must be thrown away during the pull move and stretches out because of mass inertia.

Nice to hear about the German reserve, of which little is heard on the left side of the Atlantic.

Nice idea having the removable pull-down apex line for different inflation speeds.

By "diaper", do you actually mean a diaper in the sense usually used for parachuting in the English language, where it wraps around the bottom of the canopy only? Then how is the canopy thrown out, and what is the handle attached to?

Or is it (more likely) a "diaper" in the style of a hang gliding or paragliding emergency chute? In that case, is the "diaper" a bag or a 4-flap diaper?

The paragliding reserves I'm familiar with tend to use a deployment bag.

For paragliding, in English, the "diaper" term is only used for the four flap devices, where the flaps wrap around the canopy from four sides and closes at one point in the middle. Like the bags that have just one flap, the diaper is freebagged, and has the deployment handle directly attached to it. Diapers seem to be rare now in paragliding, but perhaps they are still used in hang gliding more often.

Using a bag or diaper gets away from the awkwardness of the old skydiving bellymounts, where if there was no pilotchute, one had to gather up the folds of the canopy in two hands before tossing it away.

I'm just trying to work out the technical details given different uses of words in different languages, and in different sports within a given language.

No doubt!!!
I'm so glad riggerlee agrees w/us. I was beginning to think maggot and I were the only people left that tested BASE gear on a BASE jump. This isn't skydiving folks!!! That's why it's so fun!
I just got myself a new canopy to use for a bit, so I grabbed a 6pack and swapped the canopy onto my risers in the dark and the rain, while chasing my dog down from attacking muskrats at the pond. got up pre dawn and did a hop&pop from 4...................... hundred. I guess I am a bit of bitch as I did pull high to check my brake settings and try some riser turns.
nothing like a solo jump w/new gear on your back to get the juices flowing.
----------------------------------------------------------

...Yawn!

will stall slider up. So you can't really set your DBS on skydives.

yeah, every time ive ever stalled my canopy on skydive i cut that fucker away! stalls at 3grand are BLACK DEATH

@ Peter,
the diaper ist just one wrap in the same width as the container around the s-folded canopy (like a clamp). Closed with wo crommets and a safety stow. So the canopy stays compact in one piece during the pull/throw and it allows the lines to stretch out first and let the canopy inflate in some distance to you and your shit you definetly will carry with you at that moment. Well, as it has never to be used yet in the real world because our BASE specific materials are, used in the right way, relieable. We have statistics meanwhile of more than 10 000 jumps inside the GBA with no technical problems (knock on wood).
But as I said before it's just all about legal matters.

@ others,
of course guys, to built a reserve for BASE didn't happen because we were afraid of jumping our single parachute systems. Hellooo ... somebody home ...?
And it's a more and more clear, that it is a clever idea to collect informations about your BASE equipment by jumping it out of a plane or ballon. And as Adam Filippino said, as long as you haven't jumped your brand new canopy it's just a piece of fabric. I wouldn't risk life for that just to show off on this stupid big balls challenge cup.
And you are free to go out and live your own idea of BASE. Be gracefull to the rest that they give you this freedom. And as you expect acception for this you shouldn't judge the others who care more about preparation. It's their way to respond to the sport before they go out and represent our community.

pull before you hit the ground and don't fuck up ;)

M.

Stalls above 3 grand aren't black death. You just pop the toggles noob.;)

Your sarcasm blows. Obviously you didn't notice he was talking about setting his DBS (for BASE) on a skydive. Pretty hard to set them for slider down if your control lines are routed through the slider.