MMK

Personal Locator Beacon

Anybody using them? What are peoples' views? Any recomendations? Sounds like a 'nice to have' in remote areas and/or where there is no cell phone coverage. Probably of little use if you are by yourself lying in a canyon next to a cliff, but your buddy should be able to move to the open, otherwise you just have to crawl!

Just My Penny - 'No comments are meant to offend individuals and are purely a personal view presented by myself'.

Anybody using them? What are peoples' views? Any recomendations? Sounds like a 'nice to have' in remote areas and/or where there is no cell phone coverage. Probably of little use if you are by yourself lying in a canyon next to a cliff, but your buddy should be able to move to the open, otherwise you just have to crawl!

Nah.. If im alive I can scream to get attention, if I'm dead; who cares...

Anybody using them?

Carried one( ACR) around with me on several different occassions. If you plan on being in an area where cell coverage is questionable and you might need recovery from, they are worth their weight in gold.

Probably of little use if you are by yourself lying in a canyon next to a cliff

Only if you are unconscious or can't turn it on. PLBs can only be activated manually and operate exclusively on 406 MHz. Some newer PLBs also allow GPS coordinates to be integrated into the distress signal.This GPS-encoded position dramatically improves the location accuracy. You can find more information HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for that - did see that info. It is my understanding that you need at least three satellites for an accurate fix (and of course have to be conscious to activate the system). I think you only need one satellite for a satelite phone, but you require continuous 'view' to remain in contact. If you use the PLB, is a single satelite adequate if you provide your location prior to departure, which I think ACR offers (date/duration/route/number in party, etc)? Initial thought is that a PLB is a bit like an AAD - do you want to die with a grant in your bank, or in our case, possibly suffer in a canyon for a day and a half before someone walks by. I think it is a 'one-off' buy and as long as you are in real trouble, rescue is free - world-wide. Anybody know any different?

Mick

Just My Penny - 'No comments are meant to offend individuals and are purely a personal view presented by myself'.

It is my understanding that you need at least three satellites for an accurate fix

You are thinking GPS RECEIVER. The PLB TRANSMITTER, sends out a signal on 406mHz that is picked up anywhere in the world, in any environment by the appropriate platforms be it a satellite,LEO or aerial . The RCC (Rescue Coordination Center) will pick up the beacon distress signal and they will tri-angleate your position. They have some really cool programs to figure for ellipse deviation and all the other gee-whiz stuff that goes into pinpointing the location of the transmition and they can narrow down the location to within a few hundred meters to a click depending on the terrain. The most I have seen it was a click but that was an airplane crash on a snow covered mountain side at nearly 16,000 feet with wreckage spread out. The times I have used the personal beacon during official military training, the signal was picked up immediately and the response was quick.As soon as you turn that thing on several locations around the world will know about it and will begin investigating the signal and making phone calls to determine if it is a real situation and to take the needed steps to effect a rescue. It may be awhile before someone shows up at your location but make no mistake, as soon as you turn it on bells and whistles are going off at the RCC and people are moving.

The commercially available PLBs are really quite simple, Buy one, register it with the authorities(so they know who they are looking for and this also authenticates that the signal is valid since the device is registered.This is very important), Turn it on if and when you need it, wait for rescue. You don't have to worry about satellites.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Ah, I got clearly confused with the GPS and emergency signal and assumed that the GPS was required to pin your location rather than use triangulation based on th signal put out by the emergency signal. So, the GPS is a back-up that enhances the standard emergency service id GPS reception is available. Unless, I am missing the obvious, it sound like a 'nice-to-have' if you jump off the beaten path?

So, the GPS is a back-up that enhances the standard emergency service id GPS reception is available. Unless, I am missing the obvious, it sound like a 'nice-to-have' if you jump off the beaten path?

The GPS function is strictly internal and cannot be used like a typical GPS for navigation. It has no screen or buttons other than to turn the GPS function on so that your coordinates are transmitted with the distress signal. On the ACR unit with GPS, all that is visable is a little LED light letting you know that the GPS is active. If your PLB's GPS receiver can "see" enough satellites and has a fix locked in, those coordinates will be transmitted along with the distress signal on the 406MhZ frequency.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It is my understanding that you need at least three satellites for an accurate fix (and of course have to be conscious to activate the system).

You need a Minimum of 4 satellites for a position solution with GPS (This is 3 coordinates (i.e. x,y,z) and time (you need a time measurement to solve for the satellite clock error and to solve for time- you know 4 unknowns, so you need 4 equations). The fourth satellite provides this. Depending on the receiver and accuracy required you may need more.

I think you only need one satellite for a satelite phone, but you require continuous 'view' to remain in contact. If you use the PLB, is a single satelite adequate if you provide your location prior to departure, which I think ACR offers (date/duration/route/number in party, etc)?
Mick

While It may be true that you only need one satellite to use a satellite phone, you will (as far as I know) not be able to get a position from it.

As far this application getting a position at the bottom of a canyon, right next to a cliff, for example, is still possible. Remember that this receiver would have to be out in the open, and not obscured. From my thinking, the Beacon sounds like it would be more dependable in a situation like this.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

Keep in mind here that we are talking about PLBs. The satellites used for GPS and for Satellite phones are completely seperate and different from one another and the later 2 have absolutely nothing to do with how a PLB functions. When turned on, a PLB becomes an active TRANSMITTER for as long as it is turned on. The apparatus set up to facilitate the process from A to Z(your being rescued) is quite extensive. As long as you are not in a building or in a cave, the PLB signal will be received. The only place I belive they had some issues(along with other devices) was/is at portions of the planets Poles.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I hope the casing is very strong, and that the button is covered with something also very strong.

Edit to add: Also wondering about battery life?

it would be cool to have a base-friendly version where you activate it right before you jump, and if you dont deactivate it within, say, 8 minutes, it starts transmitting.

Great for those solo jumps when your out in the boonies :)
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Just my opinion. Using a PLB would just put base in the eyes of the negative public. Just lay there and die like a man or jump with others and have a plan for self-rescue.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.