jmidgley

Bernina 217?

Yeah I could have been a bit more specific, couldn't I?

Especially if you've had both: I've been on the lookout for a used 20U, without success so far. I have had an opportunity to briefly play with one, and I wasn't *that* wowed with it's grunt (appreciating that it's more 'artisan' than industrial). How does the Bernina compare? I understand that *some* of them can be fitted with cams to give you things like 2- or 3-step zigzag, but I don't know how universal that is.

So, just impressions of it's quality, likely longevity, maybe even how much to pay...?

Regards
John

The 217 Is by far the better machine. But having said that Many large manufactures still use the 20U and use it well.There is a cam attachment that can be installed on the 217 that will do a double throw stitch and that comes in handy when replacing the stitching in some rigs like on all RI products. they use the double throw stitch all over their products The double throw can also be found on some older canopys such as on lines and such but you should be able to do what you want with the single throw. If the attachment is already one the machine then great but if not I would not sweat it.
One thing that you must keep in mind is that if you are going to use a zig zag as a straight stitch, you will never be able to make the straight stitch look as good as a dedicated straight stitch will. And that has held true for me on every zig zag I have ever used.
How much should you pay? Well that depends on a few things. What kind of shape is it in? I've seen them range from $1500.00 to $350.00 US
with out any training in repairing sewing machines it may be hard to tell what shapes it's actually in. Is the hook damaged? Are the bearings shot? when I began buying machines, I really did not know what to look for. I bought a couple of machines that were less than perfect simply because I did not know what to look for. A heplfull tip might be to tip the machine over and take a look and the screws holds the hook in time. Do the heads of the screws show any wear? If so then that machine has probably had some issues that the previous owner has not been able to fully get rid of. Same holds true for looking in the top of the machine but to a lesser degree.
when I had my 20U I was always knocking it out of time. That may have been because I was not very skilled in using it or may be it's because it was a lousy machine. What I can say is that when I finally got the 217 things went much better. An old saying of mine that applys to this situation is... It takes a great pilot to land a bad air plane. same is true with operating sewing machines. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions you think I can answer pleas feel free to PM me

Neal lund near Salt Lake City is the most experienced that I have found in the US. [email protected] I do not have his number handy. He spent 10 or 15 years at the factory in Switzerland. The 217 is a very complicated machine with it's timing procedures and very little data is available to do it right. Most of the machines out there have been handed to local shops for maintenance, being treated like a common machine. He will tell you. Get ready to listen. Good Luck GB1