op5e

NEWS ARTICLE: Law brings down BASE jumper

Please note that this is from an Australian Newspaper.

By Greg Stolz

November 21, 2006 02:00am
Article from: The Courier-Mail

A BASE jumper who made a midnight leap from a Gold Coast highrise construction site came back to earth with a thud when he was arrested.

For Hayden Galvin, it was a downer of an experience in more ways than one, Southport Magistrate's Court was told yesterday.

Not only was he charged with endangering his own and the public's safety but the adrenalin rush was nothing like he expected.

Galvin, 25, pleaded guilty to taking part in an unregulated risk activity at Broadbeach last month.

Police prosecutor Sarah Fox told the court Galvin was one of two parachutists seen jumping off a crane at the Ultra highrise construction site just after midnight on October 19.

He was arrested by police on the Broadbeach State School oval as he stowed his parachute back into his backpack.

Solicitor James Coburn said his client's "lust for adrenalin sports" had brought him before the court.

"The irony is that he didn't for one moment enjoy it," Mr Coburn told magistrate John Costanzo.

"The experience of jumping from the crane wasn't anything like he anticipated it would be.

"It was nothing compared to the joy he derives from jumping out of an aeroplane or jumping from scenic sights."

Mr Coburn said Galvin had chosen to jump just after midnight so as not to endanger public safety.

But Mr Costanzo told Galvin his actions had been dangerous.

"You were posing a definite risk to yourself and others," Mr Costanzo said.

He imposed a $500 fine but did not record a conviction.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20792598-421,00.html

That is just about the silliest thing I have read in a while.

No conviction but a fine? Proof it is a justice system for monetary gains.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Not quite. The fine acts as a penalty but the lack of conviction wont affect your ability to travel e.g US where immigration ask about previous convictions. Further, if future employers ask for a 'criminal record check' then the slate appears blank. Its quite a nice touch in Australia and NZ.

I had a similar sentence for disorderly behaviour following a city jump but can escape the friendly people at US immigration. And God Bless America.

>>taking part in an unregulated risk activity<<

That's a Nugget . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Ah ha, I just saw after rading that it didn't take place in the U.S. I was confused at first reading your post.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

BASE jumper charged with endangering his own safety

Another nugget. ;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

>>taking part in an unregulated risk activity<<

That's a Nugget . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Yea, that one caught my eye as well.

u BASE jumpers shpuld be regulating your selves with massaive dosages of ketamine and zanex so u stop doing all that stupid shit u make resposible regulated guys like me look bad i have an image in the local neighborhood i live in to keep up i dont want them to think im a morron like u idiots
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Someone posted here looking for information about jumps from this building, and shortly after that an arrest is made?

Things that make you go "hmmmm."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Someone posted here looking for information about jumps from this building, and shortly after that an arrest is made?

Things that make you go "hmmmm."

Where the article and like I said its ilegal to jump of building so the video must be a fake,right.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

I noticed that too. I also thought it was funny that a few people called him cop when he first posted, and he didn't get a valid response until the 11th post.

projkt2501

nah the building the poster who everyone thought was a cop was talking about. is a 78 odd story finished construction building.

the one this person got caught off was an underconstruction building in the next suburb.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

yeah i must be.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

a cop im a fucking ninja a secret ninja with magic lepricon powers
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

magic lepricon powers........
that explains all the gin drinks, yellow rocks, blue pills, and white powders that are in your magical lepricon hideout. "stupid get kids get your grimy paws off me lucky rocks". blarney

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson