katzurki

packing in constricted conditions

Well, packing outside has ceased being an option for me (or rather the only way to pack), now that it's officially winter in Moscow. My apartment is fairly cluttered, and I can't make enough room for unrestricted packjobs.

Now I have a big canopy. What is the best way to retain the lines together symmetrically and keep them under tension while I do stuff to the canopy?

Have you tried wrapping them around something tightly? I've used beams before, and made a couple 90 degree bends in the lines. It's not ideal, but it did work.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am not sure I follow what you mean... what sort of beams?

I tried making a few figure-eight folds around the legs of a stool, but it worked fairly poorly (it was slanted to whichever side the last fold ended at).

Use two bumb bell weights make an S fold around them makeign sure that the lines are in between the ends of the weights. If you are careful enough you can pull the weights out with out disturbing the lines.

I have actually used this while packing a tail pocket for CRW.

Crude Diagram attached.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I am not sure I follow what you mean... what sort of beams?

I used the structural beams of the basement I was packing in. They were totally immobile, so I could tension around them very hard without any issues.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Dunno, you could try this..

Don't tell the landlord you're drilling in the concrete though. You can use it as a swing if you use rawl bolts, but if it's just plugs I wouldn't hang upside down on it...
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

A single hook, from the hardware store, screwed into the ceiling is enough for a small canopy, or two in a row for something bigger will do nicely.
They will easily support the lines, even if only screwed into sheetrock.
If you want to swing on the hooks, locate them into a stud and you'll be good to go.
Makes for an easy, hands free PRO pack too!

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Ye true; it was probably a bit of over engineering there...

Oh and for those who might be in doubt, car battery and cement bag as packing weights was of course a joke.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

hmmmm
ok, for those still in doubt, the drinking while packing was a joke. Don't know where the smoking is but that would also be a joke.

The rest is all pretty much about a packing aid you could use as a swing. 2400 is the minimum height for a ceiling here and then I took 4000 just as a width since I don't think you would get much tighter than that (although it is possible).

(sigh) maybe I shouldn't be joking about stuff like this.

To sum it up, Don't use a car battery or a cement bag as packing weights and don't drink or smoke or take a break while packing. hmmm, déja vu?

Edited to add attachments.
the first is the image fixed.
The second demonstrates another use for the packing aid. Say for example when you get frustrated with a poster writing a whole lot of incomprehensible BS and when you call them on it they say it's "non productive":S
Pretty childish I know but I couldn't resist:P
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I have packed slider up with a 90 degree angle in the lines while packing. i was just carefull that i drug the rig around the corner, and kept the lines symetrical on the canopy. worked great. it was my first big wall. :ph34r:

Drop your rig down the stairs. Pack at the top. It works great as long as the landing at the top is big enough to throw down.
This is my preferred method to pack in crowded motel hallways, too.
pope

Adding the "Duff" part made it a real packing situation!
"Hmmm, you can really taste the goat"!!

I'm down south, we only get "Fudd" here
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

just clamp your risers to gether than u can fold lines over and over as long as there even and touaght theres no problem
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

I saw guys packing in a phone booth once.

It was a small glass, and wood or metal, enclosure with a coin operated telephone built in . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I saw guys packing in a phone booth once.

It was a small glass, and wood or metal, enclosure with a coin operated telephone built in . . .

What is this "coin" of which you speak?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ain't it the truth . . .

I'm old enough now that all that Twilight Zone stuff about waking up one morning and everything is different is starting to come true . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Well, packing outside has ceased being an option for me (or rather the only way to pack), now that it's officially winter in Moscow. My apartment is fairly cluttered, and I can't make enough room for unrestricted packjobs.

Just remove all the empty beer kegs and pizza boxes from your room - you'll have plenty of space. :P Or pack in the snow, you pussy. What's the worst that could happen??? :SB|

BTW - I'm moving to a new super-tiny flat from Dec. 1, so no more packing at my place.

P.S. For any newbies reading - DO NOT PACK IN THE SNOW!!! Packing in the snow is a BAD IDEA, and if not done carefully, can kill you.

Ye we can't joke any more without putting a disclaimer at the bottom of the post.

Is BASE going big or what?
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

P.S. For any newbies reading - DO NOT PACK IN THE SNOW!!! Packing in the snow is a BAD IDEA, and if not done carefully, can kill you.

See also Number 6...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

We tried packing in my sports car while driving to the dropzone once.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174