EPX

Traveling with Gear

I am just curious as to how you get your gear around?

DO you pack it up and check it...? or do you charter travel and keep it with you...?

I think i would be more than pissed if delta lost my BASE gear
you want me to do what???

i've never travelled (in a plane) with BASE gear - but if I were taking a trip to jump, I'd carry it on. I've had too many friends/family members have their bags misplaced or temp. lost, and they don't get them back for a week or so. I'd rather have no clothes, and my rig for a week, than clothes, and no rig :P.
Nathan

I have flown with my BASE rig more than a few times. I have had some problems but in the end convinced the powers that be to let me take it as carry on.

I don't trust those ramp-rats or anyone with my BASE rig....ever.
SabreDave

I am just curious as to how you get your gear around?

Carry on. Two BASE rigs with 240s fit into a bag sized to the US 22 x 14 x 9" maximum allowed carry-on size.

I've carried it on several flights with no problems at all. Not even when flying to the US. I always keep it packed up. They just look at it and xray it. It actually surprises me how easy going they are everytime i say i'm carrying on a parachute.

Even skydive rigs are cool for carryons unless theres an AAD. Then I'm not sure (cause i don't use one).

Never flown overseas with any rigs tho, yet ;)

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

Definately Carry it on. Airlines lose luggage all the time. Something I learned the hard way. I missed out on 2 days of jumping in Norway while waiting for my gear.

DP w/ a 220 and a DP w/ a 240 both carry on from Norfolk to Atlanta and then to Zurich, Switzerland. Not one problem. And I even forgot to take the hook knives off and put them in my suit case and they didn't even see them. Also took a small bag w/ still camera and camcorder and my laptop in my other stash bag.

Checked the rest of my gear too and it made it. Just show up extra early and your stuff will make it there. My buddies had their gear lost (but found) coming back from TF but it was because they had a cancellation and a delay and a change and some crap so things got jacked up.

Coco

Carry it on...I've never had a problem. I have checked it twice without a problem, but I had to drink an awful lot on those flights to deal with the stress of possibly losing my gear. And people kept getting upset when I jumped up to look out the window when they were loading the luggage...

The only time I have had trouble flying with gear was when flying with a SD rig with an AAD....
other than that I have always had it as a carry on....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I will buy one (1) 12 FL OZ beer (of cheap domestic origin) for the person who (with video) does the following:

-Waltz through security with no luggage and with your rig on your shoulders
-Stop at the gate to put it on and then board the plane
-Sit down next to the emergency exit and order a drink while donning your helmet and reaching for the aircraft emergency instruction booklet...

Bonus points if you bring a Qu'ran...
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

If you had any balls at all, you would carry it on, and as you get onto the plane, put your helmet on, and the rig on, and sit next to the little old lady, or anyone who looks afraid to fly, and ask them where their parachute is

Airport security in WV made me check my Triax T-stake. I've never had any other problems with a Cypres equipped skydiving rig or my BASE rig. Once I think they x-rayed my rig twice, but never said anything. I've been hassled more about having a bowling ball in my carry on.

I've been hassled more about having a bowling ball in my carry on.

Did somebody give you the bowling talk?:D
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Ive flow with my sd rig four or five times and the most trouble i got was the guy carrying it like it was a bomb (he was holding it out two feet from him looking away as if it was going to explode) to go and re-run it again. Usually the guy behind the xray mutters something to the effect of "whoa thats pretty cool" and lets it slide right on by.... so much for heightened security

I will buy one (1) 12 FL OZ beer (of cheap domestic origin) for the person who (with video) does the following:

-Waltz through security with no luggage and with your rig on your shoulders
-Stop at the gate to put it on and then board the plane
-Sit down next to the emergency exit and order a drink while donning your helmet and reaching for the aircraft emergency instruction booklet...

Bonus points if you bring a Qu'ran...

only 1 beer for that... sheeet...

leave it to base jumpers...

Hope to see you guys at perrine
you want me to do what???

I tried to carry on my base rig on a flight to SLC. The arrogant TSA dude wouldn't let me and said parachutes weren't allowed as carry on. He first tried to open my rig up and I asked him not to do that. When I asked for his supervisor - he got all cocky and said I would miss my flight while waiting for him to get to the gate (yes, I was killing time in the bar...). So, I headed back the the ticket counter and just checked it. The ticket agent said he was wrong and it was the pilot's decision, not the TSA's, as to whether it could be carried on or not.

Funny thing is, the TSA dude let my pretty blond friend carry her rig on. Her rig went through x-ray right before mine. I guess he just didn't like my smile (or lack of). Since then I just check it as I don't need them trying to throw what little weight around they think they have and trying to ruin my day.

Later,
BASE864

DO you pack it up and check it...?

check it.

why carry my rig(s) around between connections? why worry about my rig(s) when using an airport toilet...?

I remember killing a few hours in London. I was tempted to catch the tube into town. it would never have been an option if lugging rig(s).
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

but if you had one, you couldve dayblazed some random building downtown and been out of the country before the locals had time to warm up the tar...

In fact, if you got away on a motorcycle they might even assume it was felix...
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Carry-on. Bring a copy of the TSA regs for parachutes. Find it at tsa.gov. I had to show my copy to the "professional" security guy last trip.

I've packed my skydiving rig in front of the departures desk at Halifax Int'l. The security guy who came over was pretty reasonable about it. Just back from a repack after all.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I have travelled a bunch with both my SD rig and my BASE rig. carry the TSA letter with you.. you ARE allowed to have an AAD... dont let the TSA people tell you sh#$ You are legally entitled to carry on your rigs.. and that is the only way i will travel with mine. ONly once I had to check it in and it was just prior to boarding because it was a tiny plane and the carry on's allowed were really small. I was able to see my rig the entire time though; from the time they loaded it, unloaded it, and handed it to me.
I try to go to the airport looking halfway decent. this seems to deter the TSA guys from hassling me.
This post is only relevant in the US.
When I travelled to Brazil with the rig it was a joke.. they didnt care what you brought on with you.
my $.02
Dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I have flown from Eloy to Munich with British Airways via Heathrow on last weekend.
I had my baserig as carry on inside a backpack; no problems, no questions asked.
Airport staff was too busy harassing people with water and wine bottles.

Some people on the German 150 way in Eloy waited 3 days for their checked rigs. I always have one rig as carry on, up to now I always got it on board.

Again, thank you Toni, what a night, what a beautiful morning.

Bööse bleiben

Walter

Never had any trouble with a BASE rig as carry on. Ritchie and I were coming home from a Bridge Day and he asked a flight attendant to put a BASE video into the in-flight movie machine and she did. The flight deck crew took turns coming back to watch it. Another time a cabin crew let us pack a BASE rig in the back of MD-80 . . . It's one of the few benefits of BASE being out in the open, people know we're nuts, but not dangerous . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

quick question for those who prefer to carry on rigs:

it's understandable NOT to want a BASE trip derailed by a rig arriving a few days late. what about the return trip when you are heading back to work? do you still insist on carrying on?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

There's no way we don't benefit from having a packed parachute whilst going aloft.

Better to be packed in case a wing suddenly diverges, but then if you managed to get a rig on among the falling flaming wreckage, and seats full of people, they'd blame you, if you survived and the headline would be BASE jumper flummoxes valiant pilot's attempt to save doomed airliner.

But, better scorned by three hundred and fifty than carried by six . . .

You could then move to Belgium and open a bar called "Luckys."

NickD :)BASE 194