mostwanted

base-canopy to fit into skydiving container (to skydive it)

i bought a Raven III a few months ago to make the recommended base orientated drills while skydiving. now i am searching for an appropriate container that fits the Raven III.

i thought it would be handy if my future base canopy (not bought yet) would fit too - so i could make some skydives with it without the need to buy/borrow another rig.

i found a canopy-size chart a few months ago (see attachment) - unfortunately there are no base-canopies listed...

the Raven III (with dacron-lines) is listed with a volume of 515 cu.in. - it fits perfect into one of my friend's containers...

...but would my future base-canopy also fit?

i am 65 kg (142 lbs.)

i
i found a canopy-size chart a few months ago (see attachment) - unfortunately there are no base-canopies listed...

the Raven III (with dacron-lines) is listed with a volume of 515 cu.in. - it fits perfect in one of my friend's container...

i am 65 kg (142 lbs.)

Humm ? What size is your Raven ? If you go for a rig that will fit for example 240'ish skydiving canopy it surely will fit similarly sized BASE canopy as well.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Humm ? What size is your Raven ? If you go for a rig that will fit for example 240'ish skydiving canopy it surely will fit similarly sized BASE canopy as well.

manufacturer says 249 sqft.
canopy size chart says 241 sqft.

unfortunately i do not know that much about base canopies yet, but i thought that they may have a higher packvolume as a skydiving 7 cell canopy because of various base specific features (e.g. vents, etc.)

Yes, but they're F-111 (which has a lower pack volume than ZP) so that probably mitigates additional volume from vents
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Troll pack volumes are listed here if it helps.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Yes, but they're F-111 (which has a lower pack volume than ZP) so that probably mitigates additional volume from vents

the Raven is also F-111

Exactly and also you can freepack your BASE canopy (without the D-bag) so it gives you more space to the container. Overall I'd guess that if you get a skydiving container that fits your Raven easily it'll surely fit similarly sized BASE canopy as well.

Exactly and also you can freepack your BASE canopy (without the D-bag) so it gives you more space to the container. Overall I'd guess that if you get a skydiving container that fits your Raven easily it'll surely fit similarly sized BASE canopy as well.

freepack: i guess that was a good point! thanks.

and it was really easy to pack the raven into the container.

good news! :)

I freepacked my 285 troll into my 170 skydiving container. I had to lenghten the closing loop alot and I did hop and pops, but it worked. I used my 34" pilot chute and 9 foot bridle as well, the openings were a little hard but you can fix that by packing acordingly.
'Don't let your ambitions get mixed up with your capabilites'

I picked up an old student racer lengthened the botom flap 2 inches works a treat .i jump a 320s ...Hecky B|

I will tell you MY experience.
My Fox 245 Vtech stays (even if jolly tight) into my Javelin J4 (and succeeded to stick a Flik 266 VTech (VERY tight) into it too B| ).
Of course, Fox 245 (and even Flik 266) stays within Javelin J4 with a BASE free packing.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

freepack: i guess that was a good point! thanks.

and it was really easy to pack the raven into the container.

good news! :)

maybe this question is crap (i am a newbie - what else would you expect? ;)): why is it ok to freepack a base canopy into a skydiving container but should/must use a POD for a skydiving canopy?

My Fox 245 Vtech stays (even if jolly tight) into my Javelin J4 (and succeeded to stick a Flik 266 VTech (VERY tight) into it too B| ).
Of course, Fox 245 (and even Flik 266) stays within Javelin J4 with a BASE free packing.

thanks for your answer!

what skydiving canopies does the J4 fit?

Not sure what POD means, but I'm assuming you mean deployment bag. You don't have to use one for a skydiving canopy either (i'm talking common sense not regulations, not sure about regulations). I think they help slow down the deployment. I know they prevent the canopy from hitting air until after line stretch :)

> what skydiving canopies does the J4 fit?
——————————————————————————————
My "old" Javelin J4 (DOM 1999 (I understand that present Javelin's have different sizing models)) was made for (according to manufacturer instructions/charts) a ZP 190 or for a ZP 210 (tight).
I normally "keep" a ZP Sabre 190 in my Javelin J4.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

maybe this question is crap (i am a newbie - what else would you expect? ;)): why is it ok to freepack a base canopy into a skydiving container but should/must use a POD for a skydiving canopy?

Not all skydiving canopies use D-bags. For example most CRW-canopies that I've seen are freepacked. Packing of a certain canopy depends on it's desired opening characteristics and usage. It's the same with stowing lines, as most skydiving canopies use rubberbands to stow lines, most CRW canopies as well as BASE canopies have tailpockets for lines. If there are any CReW dogs around your DZ I'd strongly suggest you talk with them about freepacking, they'll have plenty of knowledge about that.

i bought a Raven III a few months ago to make the recommended base orientated drills while skydiving. now i am searching for an appropriate container that fits the Raven III.

i thought it would be handy if my future base canopy (not bought yet) would fit too - so i could make some skydives with it without the need to buy/borrow another rig.

the Raven III (with dacron-lines) is listed with a volume of 515 cu.in. - it fits perfect into one of my friend's containers...

i am 65 kg (142 lbs.)

if you are doing hop'n'pops from a small airplane- just lengthen the closing loop, it will be ugly with the canopy popping out, but it will get hte job done. This way you can put a 260 in J2 if you wanted to. Or even bigger.

You won't be able to fit a 260 into a J2 even with the closing loop 8 inches long. The flaps will not touch and will leave way too much material flopping out to be snagged or to inflate as you are climbing around in the plane. Largest I was able to safely pack into my J2 was a Lightning 193 freepacked. Any of the larger container sizes above a J4 for Javelin, D4/D5 for a Dolphin, M5 for a Mirage, V355 in a Vector3 should hold a Raven3 safely. Your cheapest options in the used container in the US are going to be a used Dolphin or an old Vector2.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Not true.

I among others were able to pack a Raven IV (PIA 266) into a J2 and it got jumped several times including BASE jumps (NRGB).
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

My Fox 245 Vtech stays (even if jolly tight) into my Javelin J4

My mojo 240 fits into my J4 pretty well, worked for dozens of jumps with no issues

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

I found that a Raven III works very well with a Dolphin D-4. Ravens pack smaller than a BASE canopy of the same size even when using the PIA size for the Raven.

I second what base_rigger said. It can, and has been done. a five-fold freepack works quite well. And nothing can inflate if packed properly. Not that there's all that much exposed. Plus if you are exiting a 182 on a low speed pass, you'd have to a complete imbecile to fuck it up.

Not true.

I among others were able to pack a Raven IV (PIA 266) into a J2 and it got jumped several times including BASE jumps (NRGB).

Ummmm, a RavenIV is PIA spec 282sqft., you probably mean a RavenIII.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"