dmcoco84

Taken For Granted

So I just recently returned home from an amazing 7 days of jumping in Lauterbrunnen. While I was there, I realized something that I think most of us here is the US take for granted. I found it quite amazing how many people speak English over seas and how willing they are to speak a language not of their own origin. I met BASE jumpers from 4 different non-English speaking countries on my trip and all spoke English. Some better than others but the fact that they were willing to speak English to help me out, show me exit points and just shoot the shit back at the hotel was something I found very kind and considerate. I don’t know the percentage but I’d say a huge portion of the US population speaks only English. I think we should recognize how helpful it is that jumpers and citizens of counties abroad are willing to learn and speak our language when it can be very difficult for them to find individuals who speak their language when they come to the US.

It is my goal to be moderately familiar with a few different languages in the future. I already have taken 4 years of Spanish but I have to admit I’m a bit rusty.

Coco

Traveling jumping / doing BASE jumping friends..., its the best way to learn.
Also leastining music..

I have software and course books on Italian and Norwegian....have not made much progress though. We'll see what next year brings.

Kris.

Three languages you should know if you want to get around the continents (forgetting about most of Asia, some of Africa :$ ):
English
Spanish
French

I guess you Yankees are lucky that the most popular language also happens to be your native language, and you get Spanish taught in high school (?). Personally I'd rather have an English conversation with an American, than have him struggle in French (let alone Dutch...). It's a good thing you realize how easygoing us Europeans are about it. But in all honesty...when I go to Spain, Germany or even France, I'm also hoping they speak English. Contrary to what you may think (from reading our first post), the often don’t.

Belgium is a bilingual (tri if you count german) country with the different communities separated geographically (they live in the South, we live in the North). Even with the Walloons (French speaking Belgians) living only 30 miles from my door, I still find it difficult to speak French in a fluent matter. Most of the French speaking Belgians don't speak Dutch at all. So it's a real problem.

The solution is very simple though. If the French speakers understand Dutch, and the Dutch speakers understand French...everyone can talk in their own language. If you want to acually speak another language, you'll need some education and a lot of exposure.

Hey Dave, it was good to meet ya buddy, glad you had fun

On topic, i usually just point at what i want and grunt, it works fine...Even here in the UK

I found it quite amazing how many people speak English over seas and how willing they are to speak a language not of their own origin.

Everywhere but France, of course
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

I try my best to stay in character while floating around in Europe but sometimes I have to speak engilsh as I can't drum up the technical words for things.

Switzerland is another animal though. They are a quadlingual country (Italian, French, German, English). America still hasn't broken that language barrier. people bitch that they have to choose a language at the atm machine.

Spanish? I thought that was only good for partying in Mexico.

I used to live in Africa and then in Europe. Had to learn or starve. Afterwards I wouldn't speak english even if it was easier. I'd murder Turkish, Portugese, German and French before resorting to English. That'll make ya learn it. Don't resort to the easiest or even let on what you speak.

Now I can't remember any of it tho...

jon

Switzerland is another animal though. They are a quadlingual country (Italian, French, German, English). America still hasn't broken that language barrier.

you forgot Rheto-Rumantsch which is in use in the far east part of the country :P

Hopefully many people can understand/be understood in other languages, english mostly, because it remains the main business language worldwide, thanks to the former british Empire.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Was nice to see you too Dave. And of course to jump with you B| Max Track ;)

-Rami-

P.S. next time with the wingsuits

Was nice to see you too Dave. And of course to jump with you B| Max Track ;)

Yea bro, I had an awesome time jumping with ya'll too. MAX TRACK!!!! :D:P

P.S. next time with the wingsuits

Oh hell yes! I'll be ready next summer!

Coco

Everywhere but France, of course

Hem...

I have to disagree with that. No generalization, pliz!
:P

And Coco, welcome to this side of the pond. Glad you liked it, and hopefully we'll have the opportunity to get a couple of jumps together. This sport get people closer to each other...

Fabien
BASE#944

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Like....
A blind baby rabbit was abandoned at birth and never knew what he was. One day he was walking along and bumped into a blind snake that had also been abandoned at birth and didn't know what he was. After talking for a second the snake offers to feel the rabbit and tell him what he is. The snake slivers all over the rabbit and says, your furry and you have long ears, you must be a rabbit. The rabbit thanks the snake and offers to do the same for him. He says, your slimy and you have no spine, so you must be french.:D

I've heard an american joke about us only speaking one language, but I can't remember it.