outrager

Boogie at ITW ???

So if there are 150 jumpers local to the wall and surely they love this site, have them all show up to defend it against the 30 jumpers who want to lose the site in the name of self glory.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Hell, it even stinks here in NZ which is about as far from the ITW as you can possibly get....

50 slider up jumps as a minimum? Heck that'd be like putting your kid who played on his training wheels last week on the seat of a Ducatii....

play safe, especially if you'r a nutty Russian;)

Hello there!
First thing that surprises me is the fact that nobody cared about BASE locals and locals authorities!!!
It is true that I.T.W. is a mountain actually open to everybody!!!! But this boogie with annexed record attempt would be as if we Italians would organize a record at Ostankino Tower... it sounds bad, don't you think so?!?!?!?
About a month ago I had the chance to talk to an official of the Municipality where I.T.W. is and I must say that, from authorities side, I found great interest and availability towards our activity, as soon as we requested the permit to install a weather station at the landing zone I had nothing against and they gave us all the regular and necessary permits; this is the direction of improving safety!
Thje same Municipality has pointed out that the most important thing is to try NOT to give a distorted and sensiuonalistic about our sport, and possible accidents would do nothing else but to light negative spotlights on I.T.W.
I.T.W. has different issues from Norway, permits for flight with heli, height, shape of the wall, winds, spaces on exit, etc; moreover, only lately ITW has become "busy" as Norway or as the famous Swiss valley, therefore local authorities need the time to familiarize and "understand" the great stream of BASE jumpers! I remember when to meet someone on weekends it was an event!
All in all, as Robert has said too, we already have in front of our eyes what an eccessive number of BASE jumper has done to I.S.T.W.: end of games!!!
The fact that local authorities at I.T.W. are more tolerant does NOT mean that we must abuse!
In Italy, differently from opther countries, there is a distrust towards certain typoes of activities sort of defined as "extreme", and it still remains the problem of awakening who is outside our sport, especially from the legislative point of view.
We (I.B.A. (=Italian BASE Association)), at a slow pace, are trying to awaken this sport, and to get it accepted, but to succeed we need the effort of EVERYBODY, seen the importance and the interest that the international BASE community has got towards I.T.W.. To do so, we must try to respect and abide the local rules (see "self-ruling advices") and the locals!
This does not mean that with an attempt of record (as the one planned) they are going to happen accidents anyway! But it still holds true that the excitement present in this sort of events, IMHO, leads to a definite risk raising. Sadly, I must notice that sometimes accidents occurred at I.T.W. have happened in days in which there was a great number of jumpers.
The bloke n° 75 in the List was jumping after me on 5 apr 2003 and there were many people on exit that day!!!
To make short a long story, personally I don't see such a boogie/record as a good idea.
Furthermore, from the technical point of view, such an attempt is not so suitable to the type of exit at I.T.W..
I joined a 11 way and I must confess that we were very tight!!!
Taken to the limit, on the exit area, IMHO, there is no room for more than 17-18 people
(=half of the number of BASE jumpers of the planned attempt). Such an event remains way more suitable for a BASE site as Norway!
In my opinion, it remains a hazard!!! Above all, it is a hazard in the present period of the history of I.T.W. when something seems to move in a favourable and positive direction for our sport!
Times are not ripe for certain type of events/happenings...
The above is just my humble opinion in the respect of all and everybody!
I.B.A. - Italian Base Association
Maury #726

To Maury, all Italian base jumpers and their supporters,

Outrager made translation from Russian about the trip of Russian base-jumpers to Arko incorrectly and presented this information in the provocative light. I am an adequate and responsible person, hopefully nobody who knows me has any doubts about it. Nobody’s going to undertake anything serious without preliminary consultations with the locals and ITA. We do not present any threat to Brento :-)
There’s no point to discuss at present, and I consider Outrager’s appeal to public opinion a provocation, he’s just being extremely personal.

Respect to everybody.
Valery Rozov.

Outrager made translation from Russian about the trip of Russian base-jumpers to Arko incorrectly and presented this information in the provocative light.

Valera, the translation is absolutely accurate. Here is the original, if you want to check:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:4JvwW_hm38YJ:www.baser.ru/event.html+baser.ru/event.html&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

I am glad the advertisement now got removed from the board, and still hope to hear the boogie has been canceled.

No need to be defensive, please just listen to locals opinions!

bsbd!

Yuri.

Well,

There have been record attempts in Norway, Ostankino, Shanghai, to name a few. I guess there is nothing wrong with a record attempt, provided:
1) safety is a primairy.
2) local authorities agree
3) local base jumpers agree
4) organisation and selection is 110%.
5) no big (fatal) accidents happen.
Surely, there is no garantuee against number 5, but adhering to numbers 1 & 4 will help a lot. Don't forget that a good record will create a lot of exposure, and eventually, more acceptance for base as a sport.

Ronald

PS: I trust Valery a lot.

mabe right,...but the itw is a pretty fragile spot for such an attemp.
when the ostankino is closed for "official" jumps its one thing...one more big shit with a good chance that somthing went wrong on the itw means that a wonderfull opertunity in yurp is gone forever...
we need not another el cap, trollvegen....[:/]

"when you dont want that the people kiss your ass,
dont hang it out the window"
steven tyler

Don't forget that a good record will create a lot of exposure, and eventually, more acceptance for base as a sport.

I disagree.
you seem to forget the second half of the action/reaction cycle...

high profile publicity -> quick growth -> many new, unprepared jumpers -> high profile injuries/deaths -> attempts to curb jumping

in the end, jumping should be for yourself. to satisfy an internal need. I believe by jumping in a low profile manner, we slow down the action/reaction cycle.

making videos available to the public, record attempts, etc. raises the BASE profile and speeds up the action/reaction cycle.

the higher we raise BASE's profile, the harder we must work to keep sites open.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

> ...but the itw is a pretty fragile spot for such an attempt...
————————————————————————————
Yes indeed. Please, do not forget that, even local autorities know us (=IBA) personally and know that we conduct our sport from ITW, they TOLERATE US and our activities.
If a heli rescue happens once in a while because of "normal" activities, that's what heli rescue is there for.
If a heli rescue happens in a higly advertised event, event that has been promoted and arranged for breaking a record, there is NO need that I tell you what local autorities arte going to think and what local authorities are going to do :S
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Goal: to boogie in a good place, in a good company. Planning to set a national big way record, possible a world record if more than 29 experienced people are present.

If i remember right, what i think i do, OUR 30 way WORLD RECORD IN OSTANKINO; MOSCOW WAS 30 way...so you need 31 ?!!

No offence but I hope you guys cancel the whole thing...

OUR 30 way WORLD RECORD IN OSTANKINO; MOSCOW WAS 30 way...so you need 31 ?!!

Wrong, you are counting the Finns in that 30 way. They don't count. Fuck 'em!

:P

OUR 30 way WORLD RECORD IN OSTANKINO; MOSCOW WAS 30 way...so you need 31 ?!!

Wrong, you are counting the Finns in that 30 way. They don't count. Fuck 'em!

:P

You are absolutely right ! Especially if they are small and red, they only count for half a person max. So that record is officially 29 and 1/2 way. :)

Fuck the Finns !
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Valry Rozov - well I did have a lot of respect for him before.

Lets draw some parallels from the other aviation sport - skydiving.

The CRW big way record was organised by Chris Gay (World Record Holder, World Champion, intelligent bloke, etc). He and his team engineered the dive from scratch. Wing loadings, glide ratios, line lengths, selections trials, jumpsuit fabric resistance, pre-selection training camps, etc.

The Freefall big way record in Thailand was organised by BJ Worth and team, same as above.

BASE records. Hey, lets boogie dudes, if we get enough people showing up, we'll have a crack at the world record. Lets not worry about selecting and inviting the right people. Lets not worry about selecting the right object with the right topography, lets just not worry. She'll be right.

My recommendation - call the cops and get them to arrest them as soon as they fly into the country.

I have already written in this thread that a 30 way would require absolute perfection. Now and Brento are not the time and place for this attempt.

If it does happen, don't fuck up.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

...and somthing more...
basejumpers a cosmopolitans, we travel the world to jump anything , anywhere possible...thats why its such a cool sport:)
dont forget that we are only "guests" in all the places!!!

i would be angry when sombody came from the other side of the world and pee in my pool and shit in the corner, and then leave it that way only to get a fucking boring rekord.:)
when the italian locals want to organise somthing like that ists ok....but still the wrong site for somthing like that...
the russians where willing to go for the rekord at ostankino and that was great...but.....

the itw is not a 360 degree Tower:P

please dont do it, i got a baaaad feeling about this attemp...anyway...
in the end its a free world:)