Bigwallmaster

Re: A 'B' Question for you east coast peeps

Anyone ever jump a 'B' in snowy conditions?

Just curious. . . . I overheard a conversation recently at the DZ that doesn't add up.

Cheers,

JP

there is logistical problems with doing that jedi like. footprints in snow, and slippery landing areas/ exits.

Like the kind of snow magot and I jump with....? or the kind that leaves footprints? If your sniffin the snow, do it all on the roof incase you get busted. If it is snowing, then jump a B that people live in. Elevators are warm, and there is already footprints outside. unless it is really dumping, then you can do anything you want 'cause your tracks will be covered and the snow will muffle the sound of the opening canopy.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

I've jumped a B once in snowy conditions. It was February, slightly before midnight, -25 celsius, heavy snow on the ground, in very strong winds (over 30 kph). It was lightly snowing at the time.

The B was residential, with our exit point at about 165 meters. Both of us did 2-second delays, and landed about 150 meters from the object, under a highway and on top of a large frozen river.

Don't know how much this info will help you, as the jump was not done in the USA. However, we didn't give much thought prior to the jump about footprints or the like. However, despite the wind and snow, building security heard our deployments, came out, and gave us a chewing out.

Like the kind of snow magot and I jump with....? or the kind that leaves footprints? If your sniffin the snow, do it all on the roof incase you get busted. , t

Actually it's beeter to do it inside the stairwell, that way the wind doesn't blow it away;) Rails on the rail:S

May we live long and die out

Ha ha. None of that kind of snow for me thanks.

This topic stems from a story I overheard and the guy talked of no outs with only one potential landing area with lots of snow on the ground. Jumping a 'B' in winter conditions is something I had never thought of before. Made me curious about whether or not it is commonplace for those of you living in cold weather cities to jump with lots of snow present.

Cheers,

JP

I know of one jumper who intentionally did his FJC just as winter was starting in order to reduce the risk of injury on landing. His logic was that all the extra snow would cushion the impact if he ended up doing anything dumb close to the ground.

About three months after his FJC, he broke his femur getting his 'B'. If I remember correctly, there was plenty of snow on the ground by that time. Not that it helped him at all......

He broke his leg flying into the cement fence surrounding the property. The impact with the fence itself gave his femur the spiral fracture...not the fall to the ground that followed. :D

Made me curious about whether or not it is commonplace for those of you living in cold weather cities to jump with lots of snow present.

I know that here we have a good deal of winter jumping. However, not nearly as much as in the summer. It's not that jumping in the winter is any more dangerous. It's just frickin' cold!!! It's not the difficulty of jumping in the winter that makes people jump less, but rather the discomfort.

During the winter, B's become much more popular for one simple reason...the trip up is HEATED!!! Or, if it's not heated, at least it's sheltered. There are some advantages to jumping in the winter. Snow can cushion landings (otoh, ice can make them harder). Also, snow is VERY reflective, which can be a huge plus on night jumps. If you're near a big city, or have a full moon, it can feel almost like a daytime jump, with the ground well illuminated.

Of course, there are also disadvantages, including:
* discomfort
* slick exit points
* slick climb to exit point
* extra clothing/gear
* restricted mobility (due to extra clothing/gear)
* possible increased visibility

And of course, there's the biggest disadvantage to cold-weather jumps: The cold seriously fucks with your mental preparedness.

Jumps that for me are a relative "walk in the park" during warm weather, with only minor nerves/fear, can seriously start to screw with my mind and confidence in the winter. The cold weather can turn what would otherwise be a normal jump into something seriously terrifying, without actually raising the danger level. It's simply a mental effect.

I've never jumped a 'B'. But in my mind most 'B' jumps are some of the most technical there are, so it seems landing on a snow covered ground would only add unecessary risk into the equation. I imagine it's hard enough to land without hitting cars, curbs, planters, etc. without having snow to deal with.

But. . . . .I guess if you're hungry for a jump you gotta do what ya gotta do.