VincentVL.

Are you a skydiver?

I was pondering about whether or not you have to keep skydiving if you decide on getting into BASE, because of something I read in another thread (eat fuck skydive). My questions:

-Are you still a current skydiver? (I'll let you decide/explain for yourselves what it means to be current)
-Are you as current as before you started BASE?

Just wondering.

Edit. Seems like I'm unable to create a poll. Apologies.

I was a skydiver before I started BASE jumping. But then I moved back from Mexico to Switzerland (one of the paradise of BASE Jumping) and the skydiving prices here are dobble of the prices in Mexico, so I have done only 5 Skydives in the last 12 month and about 80 BASE Jumps. But I will do some Skydives again in about 2 weeks (current delivery time from phoenix fly for prodigy!!!!!) because I purchased a prodigy wingsuit. Also the 5 Skydives I did have been to try out BASE stuff that I was to scared to do first of a cliff. But I'm sure I would skydive more it it was not that f'ching expensive here in Switzerland. And the cliffs are for free!!!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I still skydive but not alot. The season after I started BASE I did 60 jumps, this year maybe 20. I actually came to the conclusion quite recently that other than learning to wingsuit I am almost done with skydiving in general. Too many rules, costs alot to stay current and after 16 years it's time to get a paraglider! I have always been interested in it(PG), it conforms more to what I like about BASE. Good friends, backcountry settings, no motorized equipment needed etc.....

Skydiving is still fun for me but I just want to try something new.
SabreDave

I did a year worth of skydiveing, CReW, a little freefly, but that is mostly over now.
now i skydive a little bit, pretty much ONLY wingsuiting, with now and then me and SINE innovations do something crazy, like rappelling from a Mr Bill, then doing insane wingovers, getting a good distance above the other jumper and parachute.

but skydiveing isnt boreing, its just not worth it anymore.

That's f'ing brilliant man. How come I haven't thought of that.

I started BASE a week before memorial day this year. I've done 48 BASE jumps and 45 skydives since.

Definately a current skydiver(Only jump big legal walls...not interested in any other objects right now)..... I do most of the year's skydives prior to going on BASE trips. Have two rigs and one accomodates my BASE canopy.

Kris.

I shoot video for a living, so i guess that makes me a skydiver. I started BASE jumping just a little over a year ago & in that time I've made 84 BASE jumps and about 750 skydives. Lately I'll have one slider up rig and one slider down rig in my trunk at all times.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

That's f'ing brilliant man. How come I haven't thought of that.

because I am a Jedi. Jedi's think of everything. :P

-SPACE-

I still skydive, but I don't do either fanactically. I jump for fun. If I make one jump and have a few beers or 4-5 jumps, it doesn't really matter. I even went out for a jump before BD and just watched. I had my 5yr old son with me, but people offered to watch him while I jumped. It's just not the center of my life. It is however still very enjoyable.

Am I a skydiver? Hmmm ... for sure I am a swooper. Two years ago I set a goal for myself to qualify as a PRO on the PST and this last season that goal became a reality. But I haven't really done that much free fall in the last 800 or so jumps. Every once in a while I will do a freefly jump to prove to myself that I don't totally suck at the discipline and that I can still do it. And I do own a wingsuit and every once in a while I will take it up and play in the skies for 2 minutes or so. But the canopy I use for wingsuits (a Spectre 150) is kind of boring to fly (even though it's a great all around canopy) compared to my ferrari like (JVX 87) swooping canopy.

I'll probably do more BASE jumping once my competitive swooping days are over (I am in my 40s so my PST career will likely only last a few years). But for the time being I'm trying to stay some what current and competitive and not embarass myself on the PST.

SabreDave ... when you get into Para Gliding talk to me as I might want to do the same. I figure it can only complement what I've done to date which first started off as a private pilot, then a skydiver, then a beer line swooper, then a BASE jumper, then a competitive CPC and PST swooper. The bottom line is that I'm most happy when I'm suspended under any sort of canopy up there in the skies.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm a current skydiver. If I'm not on a BASE vacation, then I'm usually skydiving or skiing. Skydiving is fun, BASE is more of a rush. I think it's good to stay current in both.

I started BASE jumping this year in late May.

I have done on average 100 skydives per year for the last 7 years. (Pretty good for the short skydiving season that I have up here in Canada)

I have done 42 BASE jumps this year so far, and still managed to get over 100 skydives in.

It helps that my wife is a skydiver, and interested getting into 4-way.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

at ~$20/skydive, every 50 jumps is a BASE trip in my wallet.
Skydiving can be good practice if you do it right.
pope

I do not , will not unless forced at gun point in which case I would prefer not to have a rig on
SKYDIVE.

Skydiving is so 90's

get with the program and sell the pig rig.

BASE is the only thing left. they can't take it away from us. on matter what the price of oil.
Have a GoWayLow day
Naked BASE #7

I'm a current skydiver. If I'm not on a BASE vacation, then I'm usually skydiving or skiing. Skydiving is fun, BASE is more of a rush. I think it's good to stay current in both.

I just checked. I did 100 skydives in the last 6 months and 70 Base jumps. Tommorow I head to the dropzone for a few jumps. Tuesday I fly to Utah / Moab for a few day.

I like them (BASE skydiving) both, but in terms of friends in the sports, I would choose any one of my BASE friends over the skydiving crew. I don't think I have ever bonded with people I skydive with like those I have met BASE jumping thus far.

_justin

I took an fjc in March. I've made 40 base jumps and about 250 skydives this year. Mostly tandems though, probably less than 100 fun jumps.

Did 400 skydives my first year. Started BASE near the end of the 1st year (15 months ago). Since then, I've done around 180 BASE jumps and something like 50 skydives, none within the past 2 or 3 months. All the skydives were just wingsuit getting out low or doing CReW with people to teach them stuff.

I think it'd be more interesting to see who keeps skydiving depending what they started skydiving for. I started skydiving solely to start BASE jumping, which is why I'm not very interested in it unless I'm training skills for BASE. I think it'd be more likely that someone would keep skydiving if they didn't decide to start BASE until later in their skydiving career.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Go F'yourself justin we don't really like you anyway.

I started skydiving simply to base. I have done ~20 skydives in the past 2 years and 120 base jumps. Only reason to go to the DZ is beer, and lowpull contests. preferably at the same time. Oh yeah, great place to sell drugs and pay for more base gear. I am very uncurrent and therefore get a great buzz when I hook it stupid low. hmmm maybe I'll stop by the DZ tomorrow........

But no, I am not a skydiver and actually take insult when people mistake me for one.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Hey, Fuck you Ryan!

By the way, what are you selling that Raven for? I hear it opens higher then a vented Fox.....

_justin

Selling...?! That thing is a death trap! holes in the nose, blown out seams in the topskin, no way buddy. I'm keeping that little sweetheart all to myself. imagine how fun it will be when the damn thing shreds it's self on opening and I'm left in a pile on some sidewalk, or better yet inside a nuclear power plant. yep, just got her broken in like i like 'em..... couldn't let go of her now.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

i started memorial day weekend.. around 55-60 BASE jumps, maybe 10-15 skydives :|.

dont' get me wrong, i like skydiving. it still is fun, and i'm not bored of it at all. i'm just poor, and cheap. on occasion i'll head out and do one here and there, but not the 6-10/weekend i was doing before BASE.
Nathan

I think it'd be more interesting to see who keeps skydiving depending what they started skydiving for. I started skydiving solely to start BASE jumping, which is why I'm not very interested in it unless I'm training skills for BASE. I think it'd be more likely that someone would keep skydiving if they didn't decide to start BASE until later in their skydiving career.

I started skydiving solely because I wanted to get into BASEjumping and it seemed like a good idea to do some skydives first.

I quickly realized that I really like skydiving and since I got a wingsuit and after that a fast canopy and the swooping-bug, I don't think I'll ever get bored of those...

So I am a fairly active skydiver and BASEjumper.

I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, I mostly skydive for the canopy ride.
I mostly BASE jump for the freefall.

I average 500 skydives and 100 base jumps a year in the last three years. I would be scared to make a base jump if i am not current in skydiving. i would not be able to afford BASE either. skydiving pays for my BASE trips.

I average 500 skydives and 100 base jumps a year in the last three years. I would be scared to make a base jump if i am not current in skydiving. i would not be able to afford BASE either. skydiving pays for my BASE trips.

why?
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch