NickDG

Surf This . . .

I wanted to put this here, rather than up-board as I think we'd understand this a bit more . . .

Back in the early nineties I had a subscriber to my BASE Magazine in South America who sent me some vids of what some kids were doing. It wasn't BASE jumping it was train surfing. He told me the rich kids who could afford boards surfed in the ocean, and the poor kids surfed the trains. The vids were incredible with these guys hanging with only fingertip grips on the sides and tops of speeding trains ducking the obstructions (and sometimes not, killing a lot of them).

The below brought it all back for me . . .

I've grabbed onto a few slow moving freight trains when I was younger, but nothing like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZvm5H4F-aA

NickD :)BASE 194

Weak. ;)

hope the Kid who died of lukiemia is surfinf a faster train now. that was pretty amazing.

Pretty cool. Sad story.

Edit: just checked the Soweto stuff further on the same page after writing the following.

There's been something similar happening down here recently. Mainly in Johanesburg. A few kids got killed. Our metro system is useless and it's quite easy to keep the doors open or even climb out through the window. The ghetto kids get their moment of fame as train surfers. It's pretty impressive in a way and they each have different styles. They climb on the roof and dodge the cables and tunnels, hold on to the bar at the door and slide along the gravel, dodge oncoming trains...
A lot of them when interviewed realized that they were doing something pretty hectic and all had lost friends doing it.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Wow....
I'm replying just to keep this on top. I followed all the video links on that page. Those kids have it man. heart, soul, and balls of steel. Much respect.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Its looks like the ICE3. (type)

Normally he drives around 250/km per hour...depends on rail road.

On a few selected routes, he drives over 300 km/h.

Good for him. With a terminal illness, what do you have to lose?? I know there are cases of luck and huge amounts of drugs that can help you "live" longer. fuck that. good on him for doing what most wouldnt!!

I remember reading about some BASE Jumps from a moving train. It still looks pretty cool on those videos though.

DBR

wicked video
does anyone know what the music track is??
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

The first one is Caribbean Blue by Enya. The second track is Wish I Could Fly by Roxette.

I'm Stewie and I approved this post, even though it probably puts my heterosexuality into question. :P
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

, even though it probably puts my heterosexuality into question. :P

every once in a while you can turn in your hetero card in for a small occurrence and get away from the typical bashing from insecure alpha male types who get off on calling anything other than their own small minded point of view "GAY", and get away with it. trust me, i live in san francisco, as a straight guy, in the castro.