sauce

High Angle Rescue Course

I am very happy to announce the first High Angle Rescue Course specifically designed for BASE.

The class has full support from Apex Moab and the local jumping community. Recent events suggest that we are seriously ill prepared for the inevitable wall strikes and subsequent rescues. Calling Search and Rescue to provide assistance only fuels the fire for restrictions and/ or revocation of our PRIVILEGE to jump on federal land. Preservation is paramount!

OK, enough with the lecture (me stepping down from my soapbox)...

Here are the details

December 1st-4th
Moab, UT

The information to be covered will include knots, rope techniques (belaying, rappelling and MUCH more) and equipment. The class will utilize an intensive, hands-on approach. Physical fitness will be required. No medical training will be provided. The student to instructor ratio will remain low, 2:1. Upon completion of the class trainees should be able to perform a safe rescue without assistance from an outside agency (SAR). Training will take three days, I have allowed an extra day for weather or additional practice, if necessary. The charge for this class is $500 per person.

Interested parties should contact me via email or telephone. Additional information regarding the course or my credentials are available upon request.

Thank you and be safe,

Bob Applebaugh
BASE#858
[email protected]

How about a little more notice next time.:|:(
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

How about a little more notice next time

I agree with the above cause I would really like to go to this. Great idea.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Cool.

I know Ouray SAR also offers a pretty good high angle rescue course out in Ouray, CO. in case anyone can't make this course. I think they offer it once in the spring and once in the fall.

Cheers,

JP

Wow!

So, the first thing that I would like to say is "thank you" to everyone for all of the overwhelming support that I've received already.

Second and more importantly, this is only the initial offering. I have every intention to make the class available on a regular basis starting in April, 2007. Look for the dates to be announced in early January.

Inquiries have been made regarding the application of the system to other objects. I believe with some minor modifications it would work for antennas, as well. The beta testing for that may take some creativity;)

Be Safe,
Bob

i was actually thinking the other day how to rescue someone on a guy wire. wouldnt be that hard of a situation.

climb up to the attachment point of the guy wire. rig up your ropes there. hook a beener around the guy wire. connected to your sit harness by a sling and connect your decender to the rope.. slide down the guy wire with the beener that is connected to it. using the rope to control your decent.. hardlock off once at the victim hook them up to you accordingly and slide down the rest of the guy wire.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Maxim.

Actually, it is a bit more complicated than that. If the jumper is suspended from the guy wire, the canopy will be wrapped around it. Pretty much no chance of having your carabiner passing that mess. You are on the right path though.

well yes then you would just have to put a diversion at that point and go straight down from the jumpers position.

except nex time youre on a large A look at the thickness and angle of the cables... you won get any biner ive ever seen around the wire for one, and if it happens to be a higher cable the angle close to the tower is extremely steep, so good luck.

but your theory is fairly sound, but it damn sure wont be "easy"... maybe a cable loop, and a bit of grease... then hook your sling into that...

i think outrager posted a link a while back to some photos of the moscow crew doing some practice rescues on an antenna of thiers... maybe you can find it

also dont forget that you may be needing a thousand feet of rope or so if you intend to travel all the way to the ground..... thats probably fairly heavy... and you might be better off tying in to the end of the rope, and installing your braking device on the tower itself, operated by someone else...

definatley a sticky situation

except nex time youre on a large A look at the thickness and angle of the cables... you won get any biner ive ever seen around the wire...

Many steel rescue 'biners fit around guy wires.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

where could one be acquired? ive got a few for tree work rated somewhere around 55kN, but the gate/opening isnt large enough... the wires on the local a here are about 4-5inches in diameter....

except nex time youre on a large A look at the thickness and angle of the cables... you won get any biner ive ever seen around the wire for one, and if it happens to be a higher cable the angle close to the tower is extremely steep, so good luck.

but your theory is fairly sound, but it damn sure wont be "easy"... maybe a cable loop, and a bit of grease... then hook your sling into that...

i think outrager posted a link a while back to some photos of the moscow crew doing some practice rescues on an antenna of thiers... maybe you can find it

but unless you are pulling high, you would be hanging on the lower set of guy wires - which are definately not angled as steeply as the higher ones.

angle wont matter. the rope would still be lowering you down at your own speed. and your connection to the guy wire keeping you with it.

i personally have 400 meters of rope at home but our tallest A is only 700feet.

nah 2x 200meter ropes. it would be quite heavy carrying it all up in a bag and quite restrictive in most ladders.. but all you would do is climb up with an end attached to you.. and when you got to the point where you needed it you would pull it up there. it only takes a couple of minutes to pull up a 200 meter rope. and climbing with an end wouldnt add to much weight to the climb till you got higher up.