Zak

PD's new canopy?

I have heard now its just a waiting game.

So after "enjoying" the wait for the Katana and them not initally releasing the sizes they said they would, we can expect a new canopy in about 3 years and only in an 88?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Gotta love the rumor mill. :S

Let's say PD is testing a super secret new design right this minute. Would you prefer that they release it right now? Or would you prefer that they test the shit out of it prior to releasing it? I'm sure that if they had something close to being ready they'd love to start selling them and begin to make back some of their R&D costs. I dunno, I think they probably learned a valuable lesson from demise of Glide Path over the Nova...

Do you really think they'd hold something back for several years that was up to their standards right now? Doesn't seem like a smart business decision. Considering how long PD has been in business I'd think they wouldn't be that stupid.

As far as the larger Katana sizes go, ya think maybe they don't want to release them until they're happy with how they fly? Seems to me that releasing the larger sizes before they are flying up to their standards would hurt the company's reputation far more than they're being hurt by not having them available today.

I understand the reasons and admire PD's commitment to providing the best product they can and really like their testing. My reserve is a PD.

I was more to the point making a comment about how they did the advertising campaign for the Katana, advertising it many many months before they were even ready to release it. They got some orders from that, I'm know, but it also turned away quite a few people.

I just know that I'm not the only one that was waiting for the Katana to come out, holding off on purchasing another canopy to finally get fed up and buy a Crossfire2.

I'm really glad I did, since they still haven't released the sizes I would have to jump, since on a 120 I'd be loading at 2.3:1;):P

Gotta love the rumor mill. :S

Do you really think they'd hold something back for several years that was up to their standards right now? Doesn't seem like a smart business decision. Considering how long PD has been in business I'd think they wouldn't be that stupid.

Not bashing on you, but consider a canopy out performing the velocity. It will be fast and made for long swoops. This also makes it potetially dangerous and hard to land. Higher speed makes a canopy less forgiving.
Even if the canopy is ready, the skydiving community might not be. If a few jumpers buy this new really fast canopy, and hurt themselves underneath it, it's not the smartest business decision to release it.
What i'm saying is that even if PD and Icarus have faster canopies ready to release, they might be hesitant to do so because only a few people can fly them safely. This would not necessarily be a bad decision.

//r

has anyone heard more i heard that PD is devloping a new canopy to top the velocity in performance know anything

If they did, no one would know, PD does all their test jump's in the Desert, at night, out of Blackhawk helecopters. Or at least that is the rumor.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I doubt they will release a canopy like this for a while. Velocity sales are only a small portion of their overall sales and it does'nt make much sense to try and split their Velocity sales with another product when the Velo is pobally less then 5-7% of overall sales. Not to mention that at the moment the Velo is still winning event after event... Why replace a winning product?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was more to the point making a comment about how they did the advertising campaign for the Katana, advertising it many many months before they were even ready to release it.

That's common in this industry. One helmet manufacturer (no names mentioned :)) started advertising a new helmet over a year before it was finally available for purchase. I can think of other products from various manufacturers that were advertised as "coming soon" but never made it to the shelves.

I can also understand why a canopy manufacturer might want to hold off on releasing something so high performance that only the top competitors would be capable of safely flying it. Thanks for pointing that out RTB; I hadn't considered that angle. :)

Actually you are partially correct i was talking to a PD employee at a recent PD demo day and she said they are testing it at an "undisclosed' location because it is going to blow crossbraced canopies out of the water.

For others info these canopies (crossbraced or "higher performance" when they are released) are for people who live in this sport and in there harness as well people who are doing 1000 jumps every year NOT weekend warriors

also the velocity is NOT winning every event it is neck and neck with the VX in every event so releasing a conopy superior to both is in their interest as icarus' team won't be able to compete

also the velocity is NOT winning every event it is neck and neck with the VX in every event so releasing a conopy superior to both is in their interest as icarus' team won't be able to compete

How do you know that?
Rumour has it Icarus have a canopy ready for market, superior to the VX, they are just waiting.

I think it's in PD's or Icarus' (or whoever's) interest to release a canopy even if only a handful of people are qualified to fly it - partly for the knowledge they'll gain from doing so but mainly for the cool factor. Why do car manufacturers spend their R&D budgets on silly souped up cars that hardly anyone will buy? It gives the brand prestige and increases the saleability/desireability of the whole range.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I think it's in PD's or Icarus' (or whoever's) interest to release a canopy even if only a handful of people are qualified to fly it - partly for the knowledge they'll gain from doing so but mainly for the cool factor

If they had the canopy and agreed with you it would be released, but it's not...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

AD, I respect you man. But boy I am just getting avision of someone balling you their fists and stomping their feet when you talk about the Katana. I don't think they (PD) promised anything that they have not delivered, so why continue to beat them up about it?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Why do car manufacturers spend their R&D budgets on silly souped up cars that hardly anyone will buy?

They do it to gain information on new tech, expensive hot cars get the new tech first so they can get some of the R&D costs back, test the tech in the field with cars that aren't gonna ruin their rep if they have to recall/or have minor "glitch" problems. And then put that tech in their other main streem models. Not sure the same concept works in parachutes, would you want a new material or stitch pattern tested first in the fastest most higly loaded mains? cars pull to the side of the road when something fails skydivers pull silver. :) I think this is why PD tests the hell outta things (like the katana) because they can't get to a point and then field the tech like car manufactures can, and the technology isn't something they can then apply to the rest of their line.

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Sounds a little suspect to me. I could see PD releasing a 27 cell, that makes sense, but something that blows cross-braced canopies out of the water and is only intended for people that are doing 1000+ jumps per year?

Lets look at the facts:
If cross-braced canopies only account for 5-7% of the market as somebody has suggested, then this new canopy would be what, 1-2%? Yes Ford and Ferrari can afford to put the R&D into a product with such a limited market, but PD isn't exactly Ford or Ferrari.

And how many people are doing 1000+ jumps per year on their sport canopy, because I assume they don't mean 800 tandems and 200 on your own gear. Sure there are a few people doing 1000+, but most of them are still jumping Stilettos!

I'm not holding my breath...

Canuck

But boy I am just getting avision of someone balling you their fists and stomping their feet when you talk about the Katana.

That's pretty funny.

I'm not continuously "beating them up" about it, atleast I didn't think I was. To my knowledge this was the first time I've said anything even remotely along those lines.

My point was, they were releasing a canopy to compete against the higher-end non-crossed braced ellipticals on the market, they started advertising it, then didn't release the sizes they said they would (yet). So I'm glad I made the choice to go with Icarus this time around to get a XF2.

When I go Xbraced I'm definately going to get a Velocity demo and try that on, as well as everything else on the market to see which I like. Same thing I did this time, got my hands on as many different canopies as I could before making my choice.

Heh, I guess that's one of the failures of the writen word with no expressions to back it up. I know you give manufacturers a fair chance. You're good that way.

Have fun!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If Icarus releases "canopy x", then PD will wait and release the answer to it. Icarus will then appear to be playing catchup

If PD releases "canopy y", then Icarus will do the same and try to have the apparent edge.

Neither wants to be in that position I believe.

Like you said, with both their canopies doing well, they dont want to stir the pot just yet. I dont think this has to do with r+d in this case.

But then again, I am completely scatterbrained and know absolutely nothing.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Seems that everytime someone I know passes thru Deland, they tell me of different prototypes that PD is jumping/testing out there.

Earlier this year there were pics of the Extreme Team jumping an unknown Icarus canopy.

As far as catching up - didn't the FX and VX both come out before the Velo? I don't see anyone with the opinion that PD is trying to catch up to Icarus. If anything, you have a 21 cell holding its own against 27 cells.

i heard a rumor last summer at the pro swoop tour in oregon about pd's new x-braced, air locked canopy named the "sensei"
also jim slaton was flying an un-named expiermental x-braced icarus. it was white with purple x braces. this x canopy had airlocked stabalizers!!! pretty cool huh? jim wasnt alowwed to discuss the features unfortunitly.