bmsbase

how bout a list of things base jumpers agree on ...

420? no
beer? no
sex? no
gear? no

Love of the sport? priceless.... but not even that.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

It's good for the canopy to open when it's suppose to.
:)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

and the direction it's supposed to :-D

In certain crosswinds or certain fucked up body positions, or certain fucked up packjobs it's supposed to open 180 :)

I bet you mean the direction YOU WANT IT TO :)

1.Packing symmetry
2.Maintain line tension
3.Lines in the middle fabric on the outside
4.Bridle/PC attachment symmetry
5.Shouldn't be able to lift the rig off the ground by the bridle

I'm assuming everyone agrees on those.

It's good for the canopy to open when it's suppose to.
:)

Which one is in you 'memory bank' and you are going to talk to your buddies about or the ones you cherish - the one the canopy opened as planned or the one 'holly sh*t - I can't believe I walked away from that one'. Fully agree that canopy opening is fundamental, but sometimes, memories are forged by those jumps that did not go quiete right (or of course challanging jumps that went just as planned - a bit of an oxymoron I agree, but, IMHY, sometimes true - its the memories that counts, well, and of course to be around to think/talk about them).

Just My Penny - 'No comments are meant to offend individuals and are purely a personal view presented by myself'.

It's good for the canopy to open when it's suppose to. :)

I was thinking beers, 4:20 and sex (I know typical male), but your's is a good thing we can all agree on. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

8. Routing the control lines through the rings on the risers and through the slider grommets for slider up.

9. Routing the control lines outside the rings on the risers and outside the slider grommets for slider down.

It's been a while but I do remember someone jumping slider down with the control lines through the riser rings. I was new at the time and he was vauge as to his reasoning. Maybe he is here reading these?

10. Pitch your pc off to the side of you and not straight out.

I used to do this and once when I pulled my arm back quickly, the bridle ended up under my armpit.

9. Routing the control lines outside the rings on the risers and outside the slider grommets for slider down.

Well, we're going to need a new '9'. There is a subset of the jumping community (of which I'm not a part) that feels that with the success of the tailgate, the line release mod has seen its day, and introduces more risk (from premature toggle release) than it eliminates. These folks would argue for "inside the rings on the risers".

Edit to add: Of course, you mention this, but I thought I'd point out the "why", as well as the fact that it's not so much a "he" as a "they".

I hope they're hook knife experts ;)

A lady biffed in under a spinning canopy on a jump from the space needle in 96 because she had the control lines routed through her slider and rings. However, from what I've heard she didn't have a tailgate (wasn't commonly in use back then, if in use at all).

..." in 96 because she had the control lines routed through her slider and rings. "

Is that Not what is commonly done with a Slider-Up jump. ?
Why would you use a Tail-Gate on a Slider-Up jump ?
Was the jump a No-Slider with the break lines still routed for the slider-up ?

Was the jump a No-Slider with the break lines still routed for the slider-up ?

From what I have read and been told, it was a no slider/slider down jump.

-The crack of a canopy opening is a great sound!

-Releasing the toggles and letting it fly feels good.

"TWOPLY QUOTE

It's been a while but I do remember someone jumping slider down with the control lines through the riser rings. I was new at the time and he was vauge as to his reasoning. Maybe he is here reading these?"

No he's not reading this....he's on the list (but not for a rigging error).

The rationale was:

there is some probability of making a mistake changing from slider up to slider down if you misroute one or both of the lines through the rings. The consequence of such a mistake is high and potentially unsurvivable - offheading/line twists and object strike/slider hang up streamer. There are lots of stories of people making mistakes like this, mostly getting away with it, sometimes not (I've seen it happen and stuffed up once myself)

On the flip side the probability of a slider down tail gate line over is (almost) zero; the consequence obviously is a spiral in (which will seriously mess you up but probably not kill you).

So on balance it appears the risk equation favours always keeping lines through keeper rings IF you change configuration (Slider up/down) on a regular basis.

For what its worth I always use the line mod slider down.

ps for me risk = probability * consequence

5.Shouldn't be able to lift the rig off the ground by the bridle

I've never even thought about that !
Do you mean one could pack so badly that a great pin tension would allow to lift the rig just by the bridle ? :o
Nico

From what I recall that was Jessica Kluetmier. The load consisted of Eric S., Andy C. (of past Bridge Day fame), and Steve Mulholland (RIP). Jessica did a slider down either without the line mod or with a poor toggle setup with the line mod, since the toggle did not release. She broke several vertebre on impact on this BASE demo.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Jessi wasn't using the line-mod on the advice of Andy who didn't believe in it . . . :S

NickD :)BASE 194

-The crack of a canopy opening is a great sound!

-Releasing the toggles and letting it fly feels good.

Followed by a nice tippy-toe landing in the exact spot you intended on landing on before you even started climbing to the top of the object. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Jessie made her return jump in norway this summer after a 10 yr lay off (she did great!) and then went on to jump BD this year, welcome back Jessie!
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

I heard that in the 96 Seattle incident Jessie was using gear from Gravity Sports, Dennis McGlynn's company. She was using the line-release mod, but had a Gravity Sports riser/toggle combo that had a safety recall issued on it. The problem was pretty straight-forward: one or both sides could fail to release in the event of a line-over (kinda defeats the purpose, eh?)

I'm wondering if anyone rememers anything about this recall, mainly because I want to know how the toggle could get stuck if you are using the line release mod. The only thing I can think of is force pulling it up wouldn't let it be pulled our of the stub keeper.

I'm wondering if anyone rememers anything about this recall, mainly because I want to know how the toggle could get stuck if you are using the line release mod. The only thing I can think of is force pulling it up wouldn't let it be pulled our of the stub keeper.

I don't know about that specific gear and/or any recall, but I do know that I've had LRM toggles jam the white loop and the control line into a virtually non-clearable configuration (I nearly landed with it stuck, and can see how someone could have been unable to clear it, especially under a spinning malfunction).

The toggle had already been removed when the jam occured, and the malfunction was basically an entanglement of the white loop and the lower control line. I've seen this lots in a "self-clearing" mode (where you just had to yank the toggle down far enough to clear it) too.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com