Triaxial

Pull up cords

How do/did we let it happen! Not sure of the answer, but we have some serious teaching to do of the people around us, above us, below us and soon to be one of us.

I used to pack my pilot chute with one and swearing to everyone that it would not happen to me. 150 jumps of luck I suppose. Since then its been nothing but clamps on my pilot chute. Its pretty hard to sqeeze a clamp into your BOC.

Regardless of your technique its time for all of us to keep each one of us around. Good Skill out there. Stay safe. I look forward to seeing you all real soon at an exit point near you.

I personally choose to have people live by choosing other devices to pack with and sharing that knowledge.

What do you choose to do?

Kenyon

www.triaxproductions.com

the only time i use a tool while packing my rig is,is pull up cord as i close the container,the rest is free packed.. It worked for more than 300+jumps and still going..

I admit that people using tools often has a more smooth looking packjob than i,the worst thing i ever made were crossed toogles which i guess tools wouldnt prevent..

I usaly have onheadding openings

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

So what am I missing? I have never even seen someone use a pull-up cord or clamp to help pack a PC. What is it used for? Why do you need it? I don't get it. Granted, I don't have a whole lot of jumps, but with the exception of about 4 PCA'd jumps, I've gone stowed on every other one. I've never even thought of using an 'aid' to help stow my PC. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just understand what others are doing that they need said 'aid' to help stow their PC.

I do use clamps when packing. They are accounted for (counted) after the packjob is complete and my clamps are put away in my bag.

Later,
BASE864

yep. i dont give a rats ass what you use to pack your parachute. hell, i might use a set of BBQ tongs to pack later....but i will COUNT MY TOOLS!!!

i have opened a packjob because i didnt know where a pull up cord went. i was packing at the DZ and somebody probably stole it but i didnt have it after i closed my container. i never did find it, but oh well.

these needless fatalities are not occurring because people pack using strange methods, they are occurring because people are not keeping track of they're tools.

ONE MORE TIME......

COUNT YOUR TOOLS PEOPLE!!!!!
what!?

In search of the perfect mushroom. And no its not the first one that comes to mind. I use it in order to control my pilot chute for perfect insertion into the BOC while maintaining the perfect mushroom to grab onto later while I am in freefall. The clamp simply helps the process along. Can I do it with out the clamp? Sure thing spanky! But do I prefer it with the clamp! Heidi Ho Lone Ranger! So we all do what we like. Some people count 20 clamps when they are done and some people use tree branches when they trash pack. All in all choose to be smart.

Lastly, I do agree with Garner. The Triax T-Stake will make your life a whole lot easier when your in the bush and need some weight behind your pack job.

Kenyon

[/url]www.triaxproductions.com[url]

I can't believe you just said "Perfect insertion". But then again Chris tells me that's what he always loved about you mate.;)
Love ya work and look forward to seeing you with or without you "INSERTION AIDS"
Matt

I use one large clamp on the crown of my pc clamped such that it is holding the top folds of the bridle in place while I stuff the rest of the PC material neatly into the BOC pouch.

Not only do I count my tools while I put them away, I will definitely not miss a large clamp hanging off the apex of my PC when I check the feel prior to jumping, which I probably do atleast 10 times.

That makes some sense - but I guess I was never worried about having that 'perfect mushroom' - at least while jumping anyway. Finding it aftward is a different story....

And I faithfully use my limited edition purple Triax T-Stake when packing outside. But, the only way I can use it my living room is to open a beer....

Later,
BASE864

That makes some sense - but I guess I was never worried about having that 'perfect mushroom' - at least while jumping anyway. Finding it aftward is a different story...

When I was first taught how to stow a PC for BASE, I used a clamp. The critical part is keeping the top of the mesh/bridle folds tight against the cap. When you reach back, this is what you want to grab, so that you're applying force to as much of the PC as possible. If you grab just cap, you're likely to leave some of the "guts" behind, which is bad news. A clamp helps ensure that those folds stay in place while you stuff the PC.

Over time, I've learned to pack a PC without the clamp, but I can see why some might prefer to use a tool. The preferred tool definitely should be a clamp, and not a pull-up or rubber band.

Michael

i was taught to use a pull up cord to pack my PC, and i have done it since then a few times. especialy while trying to put a 46 into my Warlock. that shit was tight.

'thats whay she said.'

now I use a clamp, or nothing. I got a Gargoyl. BIG pouch.

when i was taught i was told to never pack with a pullup cord on the lines to hold them together at the canopy, i might forget it someday. :S