base283

"Bad Ideas" list

That's true, but there's more to it than that. I've had stability problems jumping my PF suit (thread here), including at pulltime and I've seen other people on here alluding to it too.

Although I've never flown any tracking suit (but flown Prodigy pants a lot, which do not exhibit any stability problems), let me make a guess about the nature of these problems: the legs and arms are not in full contact with the inflated "balloon", which allows the latter to wobble (move separately from your body). Tracking suit stability can benefit from additional points of contact between body and outer fabric by means of, for example, inflatable inner cells. Robi? ;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Getting lift/thrust/speed/spin when you don't want is a part of the problem.

what would you think of if some base newbie wears the trackin pants/jacket on 100 skydives before using them on base jumps?

Would you give trackpants+video+whatever to a new skydiver for a 1st jump ?

yes, a video-camera does not impove performance on a specific base jump. ;)

Whatever experence you have prior to your 1st BASE jump, a 1st jump remains something new. You must be good at tracking prior to jumping ? depends on the object. An object that requires tracking is NOT a 1st BASE or a newbie BASE object.

i did not think about a 1st base jump. i thought about the maybe fist terminal jump.

Too many "young" BASE jumpers go for "all in equipment", "all for aerials" etc... and think because they pulled something out twice, it's an acquired skill.

do not get me wrong: i do not want to have "those cool" tracking pants/jacket - i only want to do it the right/safe way!

I know, some of the people who offered advice above are "old school" style BASE jumpers... They don't look cool and don't do the hardcore cliff swooping sh*t. So if you don't want to listen to their advice (or similar advice), please stay away from their objects.

i am the very last that would not listen to more experienced! please do not get me wrong if i do not stop asking questions: i am only curious about all that stuff and want to UNDERSTAND it. ok?

thank you for your effords to help.

Although I've never flown any tracking suit..., let me make a guess about the nature of these problems: the legs and arms are not in full contact with the inflated "balloon"

oy vey!

the issue is NOT the gear, and it is NOT the object. (even if gear can always be improved...)

the issue is understanding the BASE environment, zero airspeed exits, wind patterns, possible turbulence, situational awareness, personal abilities, etc.

any added equipment that enhances tracking acts like a lever. the user can greatly increase their ability, or greatly increase their risk.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Even with tracking pants, it's easy to go into a turn because one leg can provide more drive than the other. A flat spin is even possible if you are really maxing it out, even with the pants. Depth perception of the ground is more difficult with a lot of forward speed.

It's funny that a friend and I can out-track one of our team who wears a tracking jacket and tracking pants even though we are wearing nothing special.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Getting lift/thrust/speed/spin when you don't want is a part of the problem.

what would you think of if some base newbie wears the trackin pants/jacket on 100 skydives before using them on base jumps?

I would think that "nice preparation" and suggest on making couple of terminal BASE jumps first without tracking gear and then start to use any tracking setup if he feels comfortable with it. Why ? Please remember, BASE is not skydiving and regardless of how much you train and prepare in skydiving enviroment BASE still is another ballpark. Please read and understand Douggs' post (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1744857;) about modern tracking gear. Modern tracking gear are an awesome tool and help the sport become safer but using them can be deceiving. For example in popular big wall in Norway it is not allowed to use tracking gear on your FJC, why not ? Because it pays out to learn the basic skills with basic setup, basic tracking, solid deployments, basic altitude estimation and so on. I've seen one fatal accident a bit too close where modern tracking gear was definately a factor. The jumper was very experienced and current big wall jumper and still he got it wrong, got sucked low and tumbled at the deployment. I'm not blaming tracking gear for that accident but like I said, they definately were a factor there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modern tracking gear and use them myself too. But I'm all for taking it slow too, learn the basic skills with basic setups on suitable walls. You still have the rest of your life to make those cool and long tracks with your tracking setup.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Too many "young" BASE jumpers go for "all in equipment", "all for aerials" etc... and think because they pulled something out twice, it's an acquired skill.

whoa. dude. i have done some 4 odd gainers and ill never fuck it up. i swear.