base283

"Bad Ideas" list

Thanks!
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

I made the same mistake and usually I just pulled the toggle down so hard that it cleared the jammed white loop. Me rigging it this way was just a dumb mistake that revealed my lack of knowledge of my own equipment.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Glad I wasn't the only one who was confused here. Thanks for clearing that up -- I won't be doing *that* anymore...

Shit. where do I start????

1 - seeing a guru/God do something and then trying to emulate it (next jump) - without emulating the preparation.
2 - progressing too rapidly and in an illogical way.
3 - not doing research before you begin an activity like BASE.
4 - having an expectation that everything you want will be handed to you on a platter when you want it.
5 - having no respect for the sport, its history, its contributors, its lessons, and the real risks associated with it.
6 - making stupid statements like "I understand the risks" when you don't really understand them.
7 - thinking that preprequisites and preparation are a waste of time and bad for your development in the sport.
8 - thinking that someone else's boundary / limits are your own. If you underestimate yourself, your achievement level will be diminished. If you overestimate yourself (more common scenario), you may end up dead.
9 - treating a BASE jump like a skydive.
10 - doing stunt jumps off higher risk objects (i.e. tards off underhung cliffs).
11 - having the belief that because something has worked the last 11 times, it will always work and is safe. From this, not understanding the difference between risk mitigation and luck.
12 - ignoring all the tools, information, and resources available.
13 - allowing a 100 jump wonder to instruct you.
14 - the list goes on . . . . . .

15 - thinking that ethics are a load of shit.
16 - lying to your mentors and instructos about your prior experience.
17 - instructing / teaching people when you have insufficient experience / skill / ability.
18 -

etc
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Jumping with Track-Stuff too early thinking it is safer that way...

making posts as long as TVPB

banning clifhuckstable

not running from the cops/ rangers

You are good at running, why didn't you use that skill in UT, wuss.
Have fun!

can you explain that?

can you explain that?

track stuff can put you in deep sh*t. Fast. Hard.

Better starting by objects which do not require too much tracking and progressing in tracking etc progressively.

Keeping things simple at the start help keeping things doable.

My opinion.

A suit is not a complement for weak skill.

exactly what I meant. In better wording. Keeping the text simple too ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

can you explain that?

what exactly? (do you mean that track pants/jacket can put you in serious trouble or objects where you need track pants/jacket can put you in trouble?)

can you explain that?

what exactly? (do you mean that track pants/jacket can put you in serious trouble or objects where you need track pants/jacket can put you in trouble?)

If you can't track without tracking gear and think you can compensate your lack of skill by wearing tracking stuff you are in trouble. It will give you a wrong feeling of security. Next step could be to buy a wingsuit if you still can't track with tracking gear.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

If you can't track without tracking gear and think you can compensate your lack of skill by wearing tracking stuff you are in trouble. It will give you a wrong feeling of security. Next step could be to buy a wingsuit if you still can't track with tracking gear.

That's true, but there's more to it than that. I've had stability problems jumping my PF suit (thread here), including at pulltime and I've seen other people on here alluding to it too.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

can you explain that?

i see your point, but where is the big problem?

of course i agree with you that one should be (very) good at tracking before getting into base...

...but why should a base-newbie use normal pants instead of tracking gear?

i see your point, but where is the big problem?

of course i agree with you that one should be (very) good at tracking before getting into base...

the wall is a part of the big problem. Getting lift/thrust/speed/spin when you don't want is a part of the problem. Would you give trackpants+video+whatever to a new skydiver for a 1st jump ? Whatever experence you have prior to your 1st BASE jump, a 1st jump remains something new.

You must be good at tracking prior to jumping ? depends on the object. An object that requires tracking is NOT a 1st BASE or a newbie BASE object.

Good at tracking ? Tracking and tracking at subterminal speeds are 2 different beasts IMHO.

Too many "young" BASE jumpers go for "all in equipment", "all for aerials" etc... and think because they pulled something out twice, it's an acquired skill.

I know, some of the people who offered advice above are "old school" style BASE jumpers... They don't look cool and don't do the hardcore cliff swooping sh*t. So if you don't want to listen to their advice (or similar advice), please stay away from their objects.

Toni, you're still one of the greatest persons I know even if you don't swoop the cliffs ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Tracking gear can make it harder to find the PC, and it can also throw you into uncomfortable body positions, as well as effecting your ground awareness. It's far better to be comfortable with the mechanics of the BASE jump itself before adding another layer of complexity.

It's the "add on new thing at a time" principle. The safest way to progress your skills is to add only one new thing at a time, so that you only need to focus on one additional skill or complexity. Then, once you've got that down to the point it's second nature, you add the next one.

For example, say you have never made a BASE jump, but you'd like to side float your friend on a 2 way. The intelligent way to approach this is not just to go for it. The first thing you'd want to do is learn to BASE jump. Be able to perform good flat and stable forward facing exits, and comfortable with mechanics of the jump and landing. Staying at a familair object, you'd next learn to do a side floater as a solo. Only then would you try adding the other jumper.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

or you coould just be a man and huck it !! but now really an even worse idea would be to sit around and think of a dream moderator..or.......naaaaa i'll let it go

*** ...but why should a base-newbie use normal pants instead of tracking gear?

Just asking that question reveals a lot. From your question it seems that you beleive that tracking clothing adds safety to a jump. This is true only for an experienced jumper who knows how to fly the gear in the environment; clearly not a newbie.

A new base jumper should be taking one small step at a time, and only add new complications to a jump when he or she already has the basics dialed in. Dialed in is not a couple jumps of any given object, and certainly not off large cliffs. Track enhancing clothing adds control surfaces that can cause major instability. Even if someone had 1000 skydives and 100 of them with tracking pants/suit, they need to learn base jumping first, and then to base jump with tracking pants. To not take the time to learn the basics is foolish.

Toni, you're still one of the greatest persons I know even if you don't swoop the cliffs ;)

Don't be to sure, Toni is now also on the dark side...
he has been seen wearing those devilish tracking pants over his tracking jeans :-)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

or you coould just be a man and huck it !!

The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen