atree

BASE in central/south america

Are there many BASE jumpers in these regions? I am planning a trip early next year and I would like a major part of that trip to be BASE dedicated. I love latin america and would love to combine the two.

Anybody recommend any specific areas for jumping or have any contacts?

I've heard Colombia to be quite good?

I'll be there in feb-march too
;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Anybody recommend any specific areas for jumping or have any contacts?

On my recent trip to Swiss valley I met two BASE jumpers from Argentina. They told me they were pretty much the only BASE jumpers around their country. I do not have their contacts but the other one of the guys was a professional Tandem Instructor so if you ask around from the local DZ's you should be able to get in contact with him.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

I am trying to plan a trip to Peru / Brazil ...etc

I know from pictures I have seen there are plenty of great sites... anyone have any further info... or know of any scheduled trips?
you want me to do what???

I've heard Colombia to be quite good?

Contact my buddy Juan at THIS web site. He can give you the low down and take you to the places you are looking for in Colombia. Tell him I pointed you in his direction.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Colin, I've been put in touch with a few jumpers in Argentina. PM me if you're headed that far south.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Hey everybody....
If you guys want to jump in brazil you are more than welcome down here. I can show you some jumps.
Everything here in Brazil is low, nothing more than 3 or 4 sec delay, but great and legal sites.
Our more popular object is a bridge 420ft,Around Sao Paulo area there are always buildings, and antennas, our A's are all 200-300ft range.
Going to north we have some waterfalls (angel is far away and expensive, in Venezuela) all of them water landing, and some cliffs.;)

Let me know who and when are coming, I will try to do my best..... :P

I will be in Brazil until March probably. It is summer here now! what are you waiting for??

Any doubts, please PM me. B|
Andre

Hello Im a Argentina BASE jumper, I can help with some info, here we have pretty much low stuff with easy access, mostly antennas 400ft, some nice buildings in BsAs under construction once a while, and a few cliffs far away 600ft//1000/1200ft., and a few bridges 130/180 ft
Also the monsters in Patagonia, but you need to be a pro climber before, and able to do at least 1 month expedition to climb in Jannuary.

Nico

Sao Paulo is definately on my list... what is the best way to get from coast to coast?
you want me to do what???

~7000 foot Cerro Torre :P if you are a monster climber.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I was on the summer 2004-2005 on the Torre BASE Camp trying to climb and jump the Cerro Mocho and the weather was crap (also my climbing knowledge), my friend did it alone one month later , also I know during the summer 2005-2006, he was on top of the Torre after his 2nd soloing with a BASE rig on and he cant found an acceptable exit point, and Im sure he wants to jump it so badd.....
Also during the famous movie production "grito de piedra" many years ago one English guy (I have his name somewhere) did 3 helicopter jumps close to the top, but he cant BASEjump.
....monsters of Patagonia, someday....., somebody.......

I was on the summer 2004-2005 on the Torre BASE Camp trying to climb and jump the Cerro Mocho and the weather was crap (also my climbing knowledge), my friend did it alone one month later , also I know during the summer 2005-2006, he was on top of the Torre after his 2nd soloing with a BASE rig on and he cant found an acceptable exit point, and Im sure he wants to jump it so badd.....
Also during the famous movie production "grito de piedra" many years ago one English guy (I have his name somewhere) did 3 helicopter jumps close to the top, but he cant BASEjump.
....monsters of Patagonia, someday....., somebody.......

Those are a dream... Lago del desierto! I would love just to at least hike in the area. I've been south of there before, down in Ushuaia. Fin del Mundo. :)

Hi Rapaz,

Arañaman Esteban just told me Cerro Torre has been jumped by now, by a climber-jumper, of course. However, he might be confused with the site you name, Cerro Mocho. You say your friend did it solo. Did what? Climb it, or climb it and jump it?

The movie you mention is made by Werner Herzog, real name: "Schrei aus stein". It surely has some good footage of climbing and the spectacular Fitzroy region.

Monsters of Patagonia: check out the Torres del Paine in Chile. :ph34r:

Ronald

Yes Araña is my brother, I believe he confuse the two, the Mocho is a showlder of the Torre, just below, very similar to half dome, overhung, flat granite, 1800 ft, glaciar landing.
My other friend, the climber did the Mocho climb with partner and jump alone, and last summer soloing the Torre for 2nd time without jump.
And the movie has real footage on the Cerro Torre, the Argentinian Guide who did the crew support is Sebastian de la Cruz, he did the first winter summit on the torre when he has 18 years old...

Anyone who has climbed Cerro Torre is my hero!!! How do I get a copy of the movie?