Treejumps

PC packing methods

The first report from someone at the bridge (on site) had reported that the fatality yesterday was due to a pull up cord tied around the PC as a packing aid. The jumper was seen packing his pc on the bridge using this method. While it turned out that the cause was a bridle wrap, this brings up an issue that should have been put to bed nearly 6 years ago when the first fatality involving a jumper restricted PC occured at this same bridge.

A clamp is one thing (you can't not notice that you left a clamp in your BOC) although I still reccomend that people learn to pack PCs without an aid.

The use of a pull up cord or rubber band to assist you in a very simple task is bad ju ju, and Black Death. It is a completely inapropriate method that has killed 3 people in the last 5 years. The fatality yesterday reportedly had only been in BASE for 1-1/2 years. That means someone taught him this poor technique very recently. If you are a new jumper and someone has taught you to pack a PC with a pull up cord or rubber band you should find someone new to learn from. If you simply cannot pack a PC without restrictive devices (excluding the clamp, even though you really don't need it), stop by when you are in Twin and I'll spend as long as it takes to teach you.

The reaper is always waiting.

Cya

I agree completely.

Recently a large group of jumpers were all together and none of us could come up with an idea of why anyone would need an aid at all for packing a PC.

Aside that, I just cannot understand why anyone would even use a pullup cord to "hold" their lines together before stowing. Now I know that is a bit off topic but it goes along with the idea of unecessary aids that have caused problems.

Remember, packing clamps are aids and not a necessity. Learn to function without them. I couldn't count all the people who were lost packing without clamps on BD this year and therefore only were able to jump the packjob they did earlier. I purposly was taught to pack without them at first, then started using them to streamline the whole process. Knowing how to without them has helped me in many unhospitable packing environments.

I've also seen people using bungee and pull-up cords to tie their keep their lines together near the bottom of the canopy while packing. This is a sure fire way to kill yourself. I'd much rather risk the possibility of a line-over than the possibility of streamering in. It only takes one little mistake to ruin the rest of your life, if not end it forever.

One of the people I've seen do this is a friend of mine and he was using a black bungee on black lines. It didn't take a lot of talk to get him to understand.

I agree, i was taught to pack without clamps, but sometimes i use up to 16.

-SPACE-

i agree... although i must admit, i do use one tool... a pull up cord to tie my 3rings together... which is however, impossible to miss when closing the rig.

i just don't understand the pc thing. but, then again, i'm not that smart.

i was taught to pack without clamps, but sometimes i use up to 16.

:D:ph34r: on your 32 pc right?:ph34r:

No need to use tools to pack a pc...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I learned 3 years ago.... and I was taught to use a pull up cord on my PC. To all the others that still do, switch over to the drawstring on your stash bag. can't leave that on. And to those that use the pull up cord around the lines near the canopy..... use your bridal. pull up cords = death.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

i agree... although i must admit, i do use one tool... a pull up cord to tie my 3rings together... which is however, impossible to miss when closing the rig.

My packing mat has the pull-up cord sewn onto it for controlling the 3-rings. Thanks Kevin!
I've also used a tent-stake through the center of the rings, which I'm sure I picked up from someone else as well.

Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

And to those that use the pull up cord around the lines near the canopy..... use your bridal. pull up cords = death.

leaving the pull-up cord around the lines could prove tragic, but it is no where near the same as using a pull-up cord on a PC.

(assuming you need that pull-up cord to close your pin rig...)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Maybe true, but why do it at all. When you use your bridal, it's one less tool. I try to pack with as few tools as possible.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

When you use your bridal, it's one less tool. I try to pack with as few tools as possible.

it's only one less tool if packing a velcro rig...:P
(where is that pull-up cord? where did I leave it? oh no...)

back to the main point, never use a pull-up cord to pack a pc! it is too easy to be in a rush and forget...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

For anyone that uses tools to pack there PC, of the methods i've been shown, this is the one I like the best.

Take a look at my profile for my experience level though before you take any rigging advise to heart.

Those of you that don't, I thought you might get a kick out of my artwork.

Edited to
add attachment
change "this" to "artwork"

For anyone that uses tools to pack there PC, of the methods i've been shown, this is the one I like the best.

Take a look at my profile for my experience level though before you take any rigging advise to heart.

Those of you that don't, I thought you might get a kick out of this.

Edited to add attachment

I suggest learning from somebody who knows their shit and IN PERSON.

Pictures are nice, but when you are towing your pilot chute at whatever *low* altitude, you may re-think your decision about taking advice on the internet.

Great point. If I decided I wanted to go stowed (for some reason) on a low altitude jump where any hesitation must be avoided, I wouldn't use that method.

Great point. If I decided I wanted to go stowed (for some reason) on a low altitude jump where any hesitation must be avoided, I wouldn't use that method.

I meant TOWING IN - as in not inflating, period. Bad advice/mentorship has killed more than one person. Lack of either has killed a few too :)

Gotcha. This method might contribute to not inflating as fast as you'd prefer, but if you're at a high enough object and not going to the basement to pitch, this sure beats using a pull up cord to pack your PC.

Got to love it. You got a few jumps and you already feel qualified to teach your 0.02 online.

Again got to love it.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

At least his contribution is somewhat constructive. All you bring is criticism. If he is wrong, someone can correct him and everybody learns. If he pisses you off, send him a pm.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Here is my $.02
http://www.johnnyutah.com/supermushroom.html
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

He does nort piss me off by any means but the big I is not the place to learn BASE.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

And if you want me to be constructive his method does not have the centerline extended, a notion that is virtually known by any BASE jumper.

His method is not for folding a BASE PC but a SD PC.

Again you got to love it.

the big I is not the place to learn BASE.

Sure, nobody is arguing that, but you can pick up quite a few things that complete the knowledge, get technical input, debate technical issues, learn from the list, keep up with progress being made, hijack threads, :P , et caetera...

You seem educated enough, so why do you find it easier to belittle someone rather than contribute with some of your knowledge?
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Neither does Johnny's method.

That's why I don't use the super-shroom.