TomAiello

Fatality, Twin Falls, Idaho, 3 November 2006

he will as soon as he has the facts needed,rember as of my knowledge the name hasnt been released as of yet,also people might need some time to study video to make sure what hapened exactly to make sure its the right fact given out..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I ment that as he had just updated it, it may be a good time for people to re read it.

http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/4565246.html

here is some more info

have a Gowaylow day
Have a GoWayLow day
Naked BASE #7

http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/4565246.html

here is some more info

The details into why the man's shoot (sic) didn't open are unknown at this time.

Oh dear lord, they could at least pretend to care about accuracy...[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

man, i sure hope my chute doesnt fail to open someday.

it WILL open, we are the impetus that causes that chain of reactions that make it happen. but i'm preaching to the choir...

we pack these rigs so carefully and yet a lazy pitch makes it a moot point.

i read in another thread were the iowa skydivers referred to him as their mentor, yet he only had 65 BASE jumps, that's scary. my mentor has over 600, i'm comfortable with that, i'm not comfortable with 65. this whole situation saddens me deeply, i was at couchfreaks this year and i know what a tight knit group they are...this is a sad event and my thoughts are with all of you.

EFS! EAT, FUCK, SKYDIVE!

man, i sure hope my chute doesnt fail to open someday.

it WILL open, we are the impetus that causes that chain of reactions that make it happen. but i'm preaching to the choir...

I believe he was being facetious re: the media's typical assessment of any jump fatalities...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

i read in another thread were the iowa skydivers referred to him as their mentor, yet he only had 65 BASE jumps, that's scary.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. You're assembling one fact from Tom (65 BASE jumps) with misinformation from another post/ thread. The "mentor" comment did not come from the Iowa group. Check your facts.

I know the parties involved. The deceased is a friend whom I had the privilege to make skydives with over the years. He was an experienced skydiver who had gotten involved in BASE the past few years.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

My sincerest condolences to family and friends and anyone involved.
Fly free, brother :(
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I helped the Sheriff's office with the gear and accident analysis today, and had a chance to look at some 35mm photos shot by a tourist on the overlook.

From viewing the photos, my conclusion is that there was a restrictive device of some kind tied around the pilot chute.

The PC is clearly in a fully extended position (at bridle stretch, with mesh fully extended) but with the ZP gathered in a tight bundle, and can be seen towing behind the jumper in this position in two photos shot in sequence, with around 100 feet of freefall between them. Under digital enhancement, a bit of orange color can be seen trailing beside the black ZP (the pull up cord that the jumper used repacking his PC at exit was orange).

I'll try to get copies of the photos from the sheriff's investigator, and post (scaled down to attachment size) copies here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Jumper has been identified as 42-year old Joey Lathrop.

BSBD
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Does anyone have a picture of him? I think he may be one of the very kind people who helped us at Couch Freaks this year after my friends had their double mals.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Does anyone have a picture of him? I think he may be one of the very kind people who helped us at Couch Freaks this year after my friends had their double mals.

You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

If you heard him referred to as Sofa King, that was him.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Under digital enhancement, a bit of orange color can be seen trailing beside the black ZP (the pull up cord that the jumper used repacking his PC at exit was orange).

Please people understand that the PC is your life. It doesnt matter how you pack, exit or do your jump. As long as you have a working PC.

To use a rubberband or a Pullupcoard to pack your PC is just as havign a Pullupcoard in our loops while climbing. Its just the most stupidest thing I have ever heard about. Its probably the worst idea somebody ever came up with.

All respect for the jumper and Im very sorry that things like this happends. But this is to all the other jumpers that are still out there. Understand that this idea is just so fucking stupid.

I have packed a 48" PC over 200 times and it isnt that hard ou know.

/martin
have I offended somebody. send me a message.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

Assuming the previous 2 posts and the interpretation of the video are correct, I second Martins opinion 110%!

Using clamps for packing a canopy, which I don't do anymore, is acceptable (BUT always count your tools).
Using some packing device for packing a PC is not only not necessary, but potentially lethal.

Ronald

Those who are not taught, those who ignore and those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. My heart goes out to all those who loved him.
Kevin

if the cord were used shouldnt it have stayed at the pc?

if the bridel had entangled whith the jumpers leg and torn his pants apart wouldnt you think it required a expoused pc?

or is this a doubbel mal?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber