TomAiello

Fatality, Twin Falls, Idaho, 3 November 2006

A jumper from Iowa went in here today.

We are not certain exactly what happened.

Here's what I know:

The incident happened around 4:30.

The jumper was seen to repack his PC at the exit point, using a pull up cord tied around the PC to get it into the BOC.

He did a full floater exit, and was slightly unstable, rotating head low. He pitched at approximately 2.5 seconds. 2 jumpers at the exit reported that his PC appeared far too small (one said it looked about the size of a fist).

His PC was seen to be fully inflated just before impact (approximately 50 feet) by a jumper in the upper landing area. His container was completely closed at this time.

Impact occurred at high speed with a closed container. The container burst on impact.

The bridle was found wrapped around his ankle very tightly--so tightly that it had torn his clothing.

There was no restricting device found on the PC when it was recovered from the water.

News report here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom, or anyone who has the name, could you please PM me? As somewhere in Iowa, I'm hoping it's not someone I know.
cavete terrae.

Sincerest condolences to his friends and family and to the Des Moines Skydivers and Couch Freak family; It has been a rough year for our brothers up north.

And best wishes to Tom A, the Twin Falls locals, and the community who continue to support BASE; a difficult year for them as well.

Godspeed.

Donk

Fuck. :(

Fly free bro.....

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

This is terrible news.

Let these last two fatalities be a reminder to all that there is no such thing as 'Just a Bridge'.

Condolences to the jumper's family, friends, and the twin falls locals :(
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

PM sent.

This guy was the 2nd person I met in the sport; he was an important part of my life for 10+ years. Made me laugh to the point of pissing my pants on so many occasions ... oh - the stories we could tell.

He was crazy, loving, always in the moment, and real.

I only knew him as a skydiver, never knew/saw him doing BASE jumps.

I will miss you, baby.

Serious thanks to anyone/everyone who was at Perrine and helped with the scene.

Much respect,
D

To follow up with Tom's post. I did speak with numerous jumpers who witnessed the jump from below. They state that he front floated (facing bridge) the exit and pulled after he passed the steel. They're convinced that the PC did inflate immediately and wrapped around his ankle (leg). They state that he tried to "kick" off the PC until they lost sight of him behind the trees. When they got to the deceased jumper they noticed his sock and pant leg was severly torn and that the shoe was missing.

RIP
Jamie

fly free forever :(
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Fly free brother. Was great finally meeting you and getting a flick in last labor day.

Where's folkman's boots?!?!

My deepest condolences to family and friends.

People...please, be careful.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

BSBD:(

It has been a very sad year.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Just got the phone call about this. I am still in shock.
:(:(:(
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

This is the second fatlity here in 6 months, both due to basic procedures (a good, solid pitch of the PC) not being followed. This skill is one of the most basic in base. You must throw the pc well enough away from you to clear the pc & bridle. After seeing thousands of live jumps over the years it is very clear that a good solid pitch is all that is required to not wrap your bridle around you. Hundreds of aerialsts doing thousands of jumps per year regularly throw their PCs while head low (completely upside down), and it is fine to do so, actually, required to do some types of aerials. A good pitch is part of aerials, and any other base jump.

I'll quote Adam F's packing video from the 90's on this one: "A good solid purchase (grip) on the PC is the crux of any base jump". A solid purchase and strong pitch are the rock solid basics of base jumping (stowed). If you practice them, when the shit goes down (and it will), you have a much better chance of reacting appropriately.

BSBD

Bad news guys. It sure seems like we are going through one hell of a spike right now. I wish everyone involved the best and hope this and other incidents aren't making life impossible for the locals.

Sure makes you think again about what you're up to.

Tom, any word on how many BASE jumps the deceased had?

Reported as 65 prior to this one, as stated by the deceased immediately before exit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

fly free brother,my condolance to family and freinds

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

So I may be knew to the game, but it seems to me that if Nick can take the time to update the LIST then it may be a good time for every one here to take the time to have a look and become familiar with it again.