tfelber

A question of altitude

Most people know the bridge I jumped when I broke my leg a couple of weeks ago, however I am hearing a lot of conflicting data bath before and since my accident.

How tall is that object and where are you getting your data?

last time i was on it my Suunto read 242 from the catwalk to the lowest point... although... there's not much flat ground other than between the pillars.. wherein i've never actually landed.

i'm sure a laser would be more accurate...

I've always heard 230' - which I would think is from the catwalk to the trail. I haven't been up there when anyone had a rangefinder though.

I found out the hard way that big canopy fliers need vents that low. (i.e. cracked tailbone)

Later,
BASE864

So I haven't received many responses to my question, but for information sake I lasered from directly below the catwalk where we were exiting. On my Bushnel Yardage Pro Scout Model 20-0001 with accuracy to +/- one yard in scan mode to ensure I was getting the correct reflection, I measured 84yds (252ft). I was standing upright so add another 5'8" to that and we have between 254 and 260 feet to impact. The landing area is probably about 5 feet above where I was standing if you land on the trail, but this is also offset by horizontal distance, aka canopy time. Where I impacted was about 4-5 feet above the trail.

So I really gotta wonder where all the crazy distances come from. I've heard everything from 230ft to 260ft. That's a pretty big variation for such a popular object.

I have lasered every 100' or so from the start to said exit point and have gotten a ton of different numbers. Instead of a gradual increase like you would expect while walking out to the highest point; the contour of the land is all over the place.
It is a lot more wavey and dippity than you can tell by just scanning the landscape as you walk up.
From the the exit point I went back and forth the cat walk a number of times lasering in between the two pillars, and settled on 242' ... to the wet spot.
But who knows I could have been hitting the bottom of a mudhawk hole? I lasered this a few years ago, and are remembering this after a few beers ago, so........;)

I have no clue about the incident nor the object, but would be interested. It kinda sounds like you broke your bone due to a lack of altitude? Is that the case? Can you tell some details please?

I heard 230ft from more experienced jumpers.

I have checked the altitude there by using my Suunto X6 HRM 'wristtop computer'.

It came close to 230ft (from catwalk or I-beam exit to landing) every time, which is to say all 13 jumps that I have off that bridge.

I have great confidence in the accuracy of the X6, as I have used it on just about every basejump I have made and it frequently comes up on the money for known-height objects. So a sample size of around 450 basejumps using an X6 makes me trust it to within 10ft if there are no strange wind or weather conditions.

I'm not too sure about height to impact, as I have always landed a little uphill from the impact point.

cya
sam

Now that everyone has thrown in their 2c I think we can safely assume two things:

1. Attempting anything more than a double gainer from that tiny bridge is just asking for trouble.

2. Naptown should post more often "after a few beers ago."

apparently Slim and Dwain from that object

Yep and DW threw a double from 180'...Yes it's mind blowing but think all the shit divers throw in 33'!
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

How tall is that object and where are you getting your data?

huh?
I'm not sure I understand...

if it is a new object, people should act conservatively, then decide if they can execute a more aggressive jump.

this practical experience should guide someone better than numbers and calculations. but if you love numbers, do you calculate the density altitude, and carry a hygrometer to measure the relative humidity?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

It's just funny how high people THINK an object is and where they got this data. This bridge is jumped quite a bit by people from all over, so I was wondering how tall people think it is. When I jump off something that is 300' to impact but 1200' to the landing area I don't let people think I jumped off a 1200' cliff and took a 2sec delay and I definitely don't think it myself. When some jumps a 250' object and lands on a hill 20' higher than the area of impact they probably shouldn't be thinking it's a 230' object. You take into consideration that the landing area is 200' away and it's completely different than jumping off a 230' object.

BTW, this has nothing to do with my accident. It's just an object I've heard a lot of different perceptions about, that's all.

The other thing I find odd is of all the people telling me how high it is only a couple have ever taken a laser range finder out there and measured it. I am one of those! I'm not saying whose wrong or whose right. I'm just intersted in the discrepancy.

If nothing else comes from this it should have people think about the exit altitudes of their favorite objects and not just assume what you're being told is correct, especially lower stuff.

Just odd, that's all, especially in a sport one would think is very precise...

The other thing I find odd is of all the people telling me how high it is only a couple have ever taken a laser range finder out there and measured it. I am one of those! I'm not saying whose wrong or whose right. I'm just intersted in the discrepancy.

that object is misunderstood and underestimated by many. every BD, jumps there result in hospital visits. wasn't it the third year in a row that one of your assistants carried someone out?

heal fast!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I put my laser right at the grate to get a measurement from where my feet would leave the exit point. This is how I came up with my height. But walk just a few feet in either direction on the catwalk and that number changed by as much as 10 feet.

Just odd, that's all, especially in a sport one would think is very precise...

You would think, but only some have a range finder. I've heard all kinds of different numbers and just settled on the lowest i've heard, 230. Besides, since the jumps have been PCAs or SLs, it falls in the category of "high enough" ;)

Hope they gave you some good drugs for that break

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

Besides, since the jumps have been PCAs or SLs, it falls in the category of "high enough

Tony FF it FYI.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

I know, i helped carry his ass out. ;)

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.