HydroGuy

Base-jump-delivery-rig-powered-paragliding

hell yeah,
also, I have a LARGE paraglider for sale, 2000, Airea Shape. only been flown a few times. it was a demo glider. selling it for 1000 USD, or best offer.

it is perfect for paramotring. I flew it last week, sweet wing. just a bit big for a 62kg kid like me. min weight is 100kg for this glider.

but with a motor, and a jumper, your good.

-SPACE-

when i first read the listing i thought it was a really funny joke, but then i checked the other items the seller has on offer.
wow.i wonder if he has sold any.

heres how it works:
The powered paraglider pilot has one half of our rig attached his harness, stowed in a small bag. The Base Jumper has the release system attached to his parachute, and waiting anxiously on the ground to be picked up. The pilot then descends to the Base Jumper like a hawk and lowers the trapeze system. The Base Jumper then runs like an Olympic athlete to catch the trapeze and hook in. The pilot then gives full power and like magic, they are both flying!

At a minimum altitude of 600 feet, the Base Jumper is free to release and immediately go into free fall.

The great thing about our system is that it doesn't require any training, just some common sense. The base Jumper is seated comfortably in his own harness the entire time.

like magic....no training just common sense !!!!!! im am going to die laughing if i read this again
my hovercraft is full of eels.

When he says no training just common sense, he is talking about using the system, not making a BASE jump. Notice that 1 BASE jumper is part of the required equipment.

I emailed him asking for pictures of how it works and asking if you drop in an ass down position, feet down, or chest down. Here's his reply:

Hello sir, I am going out today to use one of our rigs today and can get some pictures. i can't show the release system up close due to trying to avoid people stealing it since it's such a new item. It features a simple release similar to a skydiving 3 ring release for a parachute a bright red or yellow release handle. A child can pull the handle it's a so easy. The 3 ring system hooks to a stainless steel carabiner rated at 6000 pounds at the bottom of the trapeze. The gate is set up so it is facing to the rear of the pilot so the base jumper runs up to catch it and just "slaps" the ring system into it, takes about a half a second. then once slack is taken out of the system the base jumper and pilot are flying. Because the way you are hooked up to will be falling feet first, potentially butt first if you position yourself like that in your harness. You can usually base jump as low as 400 feet but due to the butt first attitude I suggest 600 feet minimum for my setup to allow you time to arch and get into the right position. i should have some pictures in the next 12 hours weather permitting, if not I will take some pics with it lying on the ground.

At a minimum altitude of 600 feet

WEAK

I have exited a plane slider up at sub 300'.

also, paragliders, even powred paragliders fly pretty slow. slider off is a possibility.

Dude,

That design was first produced in 1997 (or earlier).

It is totally outdated, far less safe than modern DHV 2 rated designs, and offers less performance than a modern 1 or 1-2.

It would be rude at best to sell such a wing to someone who doesn't know any better, and more than rude to do so for the price of 1000$.

Ripping off, and/or scaring the BASE jumpers isn't nice.

oh.
i didnt know that. i had a PG pilot freind of mine tell me i should buy a motor pack for it.

sorry, its a DHV II, didnt know that either. the label on it sais DOM is 2000.

sorry.
my bad

and it wouldnt scare BASE jumpers, it would kill them.
no one buy that wing.

maybe i can use it for tandem BASE drops.

-SPACE-

WEAK

Just curious, how fast did you have the plane going on that sub 300' jump? Average, or faster than usual, for the additional forward speed?

I thought at first that that sounded ridiculous, but then I was thinking about some ski-BASEers I heard about going off 60' cliffs with a huge run up (read lots of forward speed). Sounds like 300' might be reasonable with proper forward speed.

How long was your canopy flight?

I really want to find a pilot that will let me out at 500'ish, I had D-Rings sewn on my rig for a 'tirsh' for that reason. (Well among other reasons).

In response to you saying that 600 feet is weak, I agree that lower is reasonable.

This totally describes me::D

"Tired of driving hours on end, just to find a suitable Base Jumping site? While you are out searching, do you see powered paragliders flying high in the air?"
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

When he says no training just common sense, he is talking about using the system, not making a BASE jump
----------------------------------------------------

well im glad you cleared up that point for me!.
and if i wasn't so worried about a take off accident with the rotating knifes which spin just above the jumpers head i would love to give it a try.
but something else just occurred to me, this isn't a base jump because its from an aircraft not a fixed object, so surely it should be called a skydive? and with the forward speed whats wrong with sub200ft?.
i cant wait to see the pictures.

Would you have to worry about FARs jumping from a powered parachute at 300 ft?

as long as it dosent have a tail number right?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

a very good point.
this base jumper wouldn't worry about the FARs but i think a skydiver probably should consider that its definitely illegal.
could we hear from any paraglider/motor pilots on the legality from their point of view.

its just that it looks so much fun it must be illegal.
im still laughing.

this base jumper wouldn't worry about the FARs but I think a skydiver probably should consider that its definitely illegal.

What can the FAA do to a skydiver or PG pilot? Neither has a federal licence to pull, right?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

No, the FARs do not care at what altitude you leave the palne. the USPA has set altitude limits, they are not laws. If the USPA decides you have broken their guidelines they can revoke your membership.

No, the FARs do not care at what altitude you leave the palne. the USPA has set altitude limits, they are not laws. If the USPA decides you have broken their guidelines they can revoke your membership.

I was thinking more along the lines of the single harness dual parachute requirement. Does it still apply given the aircraft and altitude? I'm just wondering if I'd be able to use it at the airport or if I'd need to find some private land. It looks like fun.

My understanding after talking to some Ultralight pilots is that any aircraft that is carrying 2 people is to have an N number and is to be flown only by someone with an instructors rating and only on instructional flights. With the Sport Pilots licence some of that might change but then the pilot has a rating for the FAA to pull.

The FAA has a way of stopping a lot of fun out there ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

All of the FARs thatt apply to Skydiving operations apply. So, yes the single harness dual parachute section applies and the section about filing a NOTAM and cloud clearance and ....

I've jumped tandem powered paragliders and trikes (fixed wing). AFAIK the pilot had no license and the aircraft was under 254lbs, therefore an ultralight. Supposedly this is going to change in 07 or 08 though.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I've jumped tandem powered paragliders and trikes (fixed wing). AFAIK the pilot had no license and the aircraft was under 254lbs, therefore an ultralight. Supposedly this is going to change in 07 or 08 though.

tornolf is correct. it will be sport liscense required in 2007

-SPACE-

WEAK

Just curious, how fast did you have the plane going on that sub 300' jump? Average, or faster than usual, for the additional forward speed?

I thought at first that that sounded ridiculous, but then I was thinking about some ski-BASEers I heard about going off 60' cliffs with a huge run up (read lots of forward speed). Sounds like 300' might be reasonable with proper forward speed.

How long was your canopy flight?

I really want to find a pilot that will let me out at 500'ish, I had D-Rings sewn on my rig for a 'tirsh' for that reason. (Well among other reasons).

In response to you saying that 600 feet is weak, I agree that lower is reasonable.

Cessna 205, about 70kts (normal jump run speed) Vertigo Warlock/dagger 222, packed open nose, slider up. 9' bridal, 32" PC. 1 second delay, just to clear plane. canopy ride was about what it would be for a static line from 200'. plenty of time. i turned around and landed into the wind. did it a few times. 300 was the lowest. we lost acces to our plane with an easy jump door, owner sold it. I think lower is possible. over water i would exit at 90kts at 100'.

I have some video I got from 460 of Dead Steve exiting a Cessna at about 200 feet--with skydiving gear. The forward speed of the aircraft can be very useful in accelerating the opening.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have some video I got from 460 of Dead Steve exiting a Cessna at about 200 feet--with skydiving gear. The forward speed of the aircraft can be very useful in accelerating the opening.

really?:o

-SPACE-