base_rigger

Mojo slider

Mojos used to come with a smaller large hole mesh and/or a bigger fine hole mesh slider.

I believe the same is true for the ACE/BJ but I am looking on feedback just on Mojos.

For those who jumped with both slider types I'd like to hear your opinion on each.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Consolidated Rigging, (541) 382-6361. [email protected] Try them for info, you should get what you need to know from the guy that made the parachute!

Yes I kinda know that number and here is what AF wrote on blinc:

Regarding the mesh used in the Mojo sliders.
In 1995 we switched to large hole mesh.

The rational behind the small hole mesh was less snag potential with a line attachment knot etc. However, to get the opening speeds we wanted, it required a fairly large surface area. This worked fine, but in some cases this surface area created extra drag and slowed the slider's decent. The slider would occasionally come to rest just above the risers.

We switched to large hole mesh so we could retain the same opening characteristics with a smaller slider surface area.

If you like the openings with the small mesh there is no need to change.

Hope that helps.

Adam Filippino
Consolidated Rigging, Inc.
http://www.crmojo.com

However I'd like to hear EXPERIENCES from jumpers.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

& baserigger,

why would any of us care to give you our opinion.

whats your name, where do you reside
blaine

use a sail slider from a cuslite and u will be fine they work best for low slider up jumps arounf 500-600 feet u will be the coolest base jumper around
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

For someone whose profile claims 1200 BASE jumps and 15 years in the sport, and given your username I would have expected others to ask you these kind of questions...

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

So wich slider do you like better and why?

Are you saying you have no experience on Mojos with large hole mesh sliders and/or fine mesh sliders?

If you know what sliders do and why there are different kinds, then you likely know when and why one would use one kind of slider versus the other.

The question "wich (sic) slider do you like better and why?" is not a clear question. It's akin to asking "What size pilot do you like and why?".

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

If you know what sliders do and why there are different kinds, then you likely know when and why one would use one kind of slider versus the other.

Not true. There is no need for two different mesh sliders.

And by the way if you got problems with me on other threads it does not mean you've got to be a smart ass when it comes to discuss thechnical stuff.

Re-read what AF wrote and then if you want try to answer my Q w/out smart-ass sarcasm.

There is no need for two different mesh sliders.

There are evidently canopy manufacturers who disagree with you on that.

On the topic of slider material, here are some of my opinions (which others may not share, but I'll express them anyway):

I think that many people are under the mistaken impression that sliders of different materials will perform differently from each other at any delay.

At zero airspeed, there is, in theory, very little difference between a ZP slider, and F-111 slider, a large mesh slider, a small mesh slider, and just a rectangle of binding tape holding together 4 grommets. All perform the same function (keeping the lines closer together and slowing the opening) and all deploy in the same way.

The difference between sliders becomes more evident at higher airspeeds, when the air rushing up into the slider will act much more to hold the slider up in the canopy if there is more resistance to the slider itself. As you approach terminal, the difference becomes more and more pronounced.

If you're graphically inclined, picture a graph of altitude consumed by the opening against delay taken. If you plot different sliders, at the far left (zero delay) the sliders are all pretty darn close together. As you move right, the curves open up, with a much greater difference between the different materials.

This is one of the things that helps canopy manufacturers tune their parachutes and sliders--they can tame the terminal openings by changing slider material without effecting the subterminal openings nearly as much.

I guess what I'm saying, quite oddly, is this: Anyone who skipped Maggot's rather ungrammatical one line response ought to go back and read it, because it's actually got some underlying truth that can help your understanding of slider up deployments.

Note: Yes, I understand that the sliders movement creates some air resistance, and that no deployment ever happens at exactly zero airspeed. I've also observed that on slider up PCA's, the opening altitude between different slider materials is much, much less than the difference between different slider sizes, different canopies or the difference in altitude consumed by the same openings at terminal.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

mesh sliders are for sissy's use a sail slider or stay home
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Not true. There is no need for two different mesh sliders.

Tom did an excellent job addressing this. The relationship between airspeed (often associated with delays from fixed objects) and slider size, shape and material is an important one to consider prior to a specific jump and the airspeed at which the jumper intends to deploy.

Re-read what AF wrote and then if you want try to answer my Q w/out smart-ass sarcasm.

See above. Reread my original response. Read Tom's more elaborate and verbose response. Notice that there isn't a fixed answer to your question ("Which slider do you prefer and why?"), since one's choice will be dependent upon airspeed and amount of altitude one has to consume at the time of deployment. Which is relatively analogous to "Which pilot chute do you prefer and why?"

-=Raistlin

Baserigger
I seeyou have your profile filled out... except you dont list your name. Are you trying to hide? If you havea highprofile job at risk I can understand, but usually this isnt the case.

Please do tell your name. It would lend more credit to your posts, Sir.

Le RoyDB <-- see I put my name... to many people know me...

& baserigger,

why would any of us care to give you our opinion.

whats your name, where do you reside

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blaine

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

are you a man or a woman? at least give us that... it seems many are confused as to your identity. not that i think it's all that important... but i have a mojo 220 and a 280. but the mesh doesn't mean shit at 300ft.

Forgive me if I'm getting too off topic, but why would anyone do a slider up PCA? Just for the fun of it? I understand using a slider to soften openings on a short freefall, but I don't remember my one slider down PCA opening hard at all.

Forgive me if I'm getting too off topic, but why would anyone do a slider up PCA?

There are lots of possible reasons. Some of them include:

1) To test out the theories above (I've done several of those).
2) To get a really soft opening (I did that on my first jumps back after a broken back, and I know that we've done that for Russel as well).
3) To avoid a "deep" span type object. When there's a couple hundred feet of steel under you, you might want to PCA a slider up rig to be sure you get past the steel (usually there's something else going on here, too, like a student jump, or stealth considerations requiring the quietest practicable opening).
4) You showed up at an object with the wrong pack job (I had a friend get PCA'd off a bridge because he realized on the catwalk that he had a sail slider up packjob for a terminal antenna, complete with 32" PC).
5) To eliminate the forward travel of an off heading on a low jump. Usually this is "exit and splash" type of jumping, where you exit directly over deep water, with nasty obstacles on all sides. You want to eliminate the possibility of object strike, so you time your deployment to put you in the water with a partially deployed slider (which slows you enough to walk away, while still putting your point of impact directly below the exit).
6) As you pointed out, just for the fun of it.

I can think of more, but I'm sure you can too, after thinking about those examples. :)
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

since one's choice will be dependent upon airspeed and amount of altitude one has to consume at the time of deployment

That is not true since the large and small mesh Mojo slider are of DIFFERENT size.

CR never reccomended to use one or the other depending on airspeed. They switched to the large hole and a different size at a later time.

All I am interesed is hearing from people who jumped both sizes and type of frabric; if you did not then please spare your story.

Never had a reason to jump a small hole mesh slider with my MOJO 280 or 310. Large hole works like a charm. Consistent opening speeds and heading performance. Sail slider, different story. Horrible. But then again you didn't ask about them any way. I've used small hole on my vented canopies for obvious reasons but my EXPERIENCES with Mojos are all good. For all it's worth.

my first mojo 280 had a small-hole-mesh slider.
i made 6 sub-terminal slider-up jumps with it
(an A from 800' and bridge day) and never had any problems. i didn't realize they'd changed things up until my second mojo 280 arrived with a large-hole-mesh slider. go figure...

I say the same as Matt, I did a coupe hundred + jumps with Mojo 280's. but for slider-up All I had was just the larger hole mesh Sliders that works smooth as silk. A good all around BASE canopy
Never had small mesh for a Mojo & I also have Never jumped a small-mesh slider from any brand of BASE canopy I have ever owned.
So why would anybody use a small mesh Slider ?. ...;)

I have a small mesh slider on my mojo 280. I've jumped it slider up about 25-30 times and most of those were 5 ish second delays from just under 900 ft. It comes down smooth but by no means fast. I don't use a direct slider stow -unless I'm jumping it terminal. I'm looking into a large mesh slider for it now, becasue of the type of jumping I use it for most of the time.

All I am interesed is hearing from people who jumped both sizes and type of frabric; if you did not then please spare your story.

so you don't like thread drift?

strange, I thought you liked to digress, ramble, etc...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse