steveorino

BASE jumps from BD on SportsIllustrated.com

Awesome pictures!

Avenfoto, your not concentrating enough!:P

Also, take a look at the pilot chutes on the rodeo and the two way pig jump, there is some slight distortion going on. Then look at the three way AFF style jump, the middle jumpers Toxic PC looks perfect.
It made me think a little more about sucking up the cost of buying one and trying it out!
(and yes I know, it's just a couple of pictures, not enough to make a final opinion)

Awesome pictures!

Avenfoto, your not concentrating enough!:P

Also, take a look at the pilot chutes on the rodeo and the two way pig jump, there is some slight distortion going on. Then look at the three way AFF style jump, the middle jumpers Toxic PC looks perfect.
It made me think a little more about sucking up the cost of buying one and trying it out!
(and yes I know, it's just a couple of pictures, not enough to make a final opinion)

you don't think that they are shown in different stages of inflation ? The Toxic has just pulled the canopy to linestrech (the slider is still up) while some others don't even have the bridle fully tensioned (see the warp between pc-bridle-shrevel flap that is not peeling yet). - I bet fully inflated there would be much less distortion visible in the pics in Toxic vs. any Vented PC

Your right, on the rodeo the shrivel flap is not peeled yet. But if you look at the bottom of the shrivel flap it's pulled up slightly and about to rip open telling me there is tension on the bridle.
The two way has the pc's opening the container on the left and pulling the canopy to line stretch on the right, which should be plenty of tension on the bridle.

Like I said before it was just something I noticed over a couple of pictures and does not provide enough data to form an opinion.

Feel free to borrow mine if you're ever around. I find that there is a noticeable difference between time it takes from pitch to linestretch on short (1-1.5s), hand held freefalls compared to my 42 vented from Apex. I only have 1 short stowed jump on the Toxic, but I noticed the same thing compared to short stowed delays with a non-toxic 42.

And why did I have to wear that Easter pig costume... :S
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

meh, if you ask me... i'd the say the guy in #11 looks the scariest. i mean... come on! red hair, and a pig suit? :-D. hahaha.
Nathan

17 is a classic. Skydiving rig, skydiving way of thinking (arch arch arch!!!).
3 is lovely too. You can see how he will start throwing his arms around in a sec - with the pc in his hand :)

I was thinking more of the pc deploying around the body. So that is okay in BASE?

steveOrino

It usually works, it's just not very pretty (and why your elbow pads should be inside a sweater). If the only choice you have is on your back then pitch n pray :P

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.