grounded101

What happen to the WV girl?

>>>We've all seen reporters misquote people.
~ Which is why we don't talk to them. 50 jumps+ talking to the media=
just what needed to happen.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I dont understand what she (wv) is getting a bad rap about ????
That sounds exactly like someone with low #'s of skydives talking about a first malfunction. I remember back when I was doing SL for the first time and getting drilled with the skydive malfunction Flash-Cards along with being in a hanging harness. There was one card with 'Line Twists' with the Slider up above the line twists. to identify as 'malfunction' . Nothing that is stated in that paragraph sound wrong or out of the ordinary.
She got line twists. Started to freak out a little and looked for her Cutaway Handle. Assessed her situation and probably decided that she had the altitude to try to correct the malfunction. Pulled her shit together and kicked out without chopping. Then went back to pack and skydive some more.

I dont get what this has to do with getting kicked out of BD ???

Ray, my theory is that it's the time of year when things slow down, so everybody has nothing better to do than make a mountain of a molehill and drag out silly dead-end topics on the internet. ?? ;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

It wasn't calling line twists a mal, it was her description: "malfunction with the tangled cords" that caught my attention.

Of course this is assuming she was quoted correctly. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

maybe she realized that a whuffo reading "i had 6 linetwists, all the way down to the risers, so I checked my altimeter and located my handles. I was above my hard deck so I had some time to try to kick out of the twists"

...might not understand what she meant. She may have just been dumbing it down for the public.

If it's suspected that she fudged her log book to meet the requirements, then thats another issue.
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

I wish that I knew why I got "canned". Many people say different things. The only thing I have heard from Jason was that some one told him that I had to repeat an AFF jump. But yet, two phone calls and an e-mail still no answers. Hummm something is not right!!!

If Jason want to keep this private, he should have kept his mouth shut, he went to media about this not me. Many people have questions....but still no answers. He should of never given me permission in the first place.

I was misqouted in the news paper, big shock.

I will skydive until my ear gives out, and I will base jump until I die. I am not a perfect person, I am human.

Joy:)

your profile says 47 jumps. for bd 06 you needed 50. there will always be next year. or twin falls.

I will skydive until my ear gives out, and I will base jump until I die. I am not a perfect person, I am human.

Joy:)

Please try not to die on a skydive or BASE jump...:(
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Apex BASE has a minimum of 150 skydives allowed to rent gear. Did you attempt to rent gear from them? How many skydives did you tell them you had?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

there will always be next year

I will not be able to jump next year, or any more years on bd. My ears have taken a turn for the worse. I am okay with being deaf, but the part of not being able to skydive kills me inside.

Why can't you skydive?
A buddy is just about completely deaf and is a senior rigger skydiver BASE jumper. If it's a balance thing, he has managed to compensate for all that.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

FYI, there is at least one BASE jumper that I know of who is deaf, as he was borne deaf.

I also know of several blind skydivers and I heard of one of them jumping the popular bridge out west.

I don't think your disability should have any bearings to become an accomplshed skydiver and/or BASE jumper.

Jimmy P from Apex trained at leats one deaf guy. I'd suggest to get in contact with him when you have the sufficient skydiving background.

And as for your rejection...yes it'd be nice to see Jason's point on the issue. I really hope your hearing was not the reason.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

You know there's more to it than that. Answer Tom's questions.

I know of one rock solid BASE jumper who is deaf. A loss of hearing shouldn't keep you from BASE jumping or skydiving. Good luck and I hope to see you at Bridge Day next year.

I wish that I knew why I got "canned".

You lied about your experience to rent gear from Apex. You told Apex that you had 155 jumps and you told us you had 50+. How can I trust that you met OUR requirements if you're lying to others? Apex would have pulled your gear if I hadn't pulled your badge. I already explained why you got "canned" Thursday on the phone and Friday in person, so why are you asking again?

The only thing I have heard from Jason was that some one told him that I had to repeat an AFF jump.

This is first time I heard that one. But everytime you make up a new excuse for having your jump pass revoked, it further strengthens our decision.

But yet, two phone calls and an e-mail still no answers. Hummm something is not right!!!

I have received ZERO calls and ZERO emails from you since Bridge Day. Phone number is 304-203-8500 and email is: jbell(AT)vertical-visions(DOT)com.

If Jason want to keep this private, he should have kept his mouth shut, he went to media

Wrong. You went to the media, and then when you couldn't jump, the AP reporter that was following your progress called me. I simply told the reporter that we questioned your credentials and nothing else. But if you want to hash it out here, I can accommodate you. I don't approach the media about issues like this, sorry.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

there is at least one BASE jumper that I know of who is deaf

And he now has about 15 skydives working on his A license. So I'm not sure what the problem is?

So I guess he would not be allowed to jump at BD!
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

i know one bad ass base jumper who just so happens to be def and i know he wont rat me out if we get nicked and i used to do 100way speed comps "thats rw stuff " with a def guy and he kicked ass
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

So I guess he would not be allowed to jump at BD!

that jumper is a skydiver. the post did not imply he even wanted to BASE jump.

care to keep the thread on-topic?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

No he is a BASE jumper (I think about 200 jumps). He only has 15 skydives. Get your facts straight.

>>I wish that I knew why I got "canned". <<

Joy,

Let's try this. At this point in your jumping career the BASE equipment manufacturers, Apex in particular, are just abstract businesses (read people) that mean little or nothing to you. But I can assure you they are "real" folks who hurt every time we suffer a BASE fatality. They are also people who put everything, their money, their time, and their family futures on the line to operate a business that is fraught with legal risk.

And they all have the same nightmare. Some morning a lawyer is going to knock on their door and everything is going to be gone.

However, the BASE community is nothing if not forgiving. We are especially tolerant of lapses in judgment early in someone's BASE jumping because we know much better than you what it's like to be "new" and confused.

Skydiving, BASE jumping, and life in general is full of roadblocks. And well they should be, but fibbing your way through those roadblocks is not the way to overcome them. And if you have a disability you hit the jackpot as far as finding a group who would go out of their way to help you. Just ask pBASE Russel and so many others.

You and the sport of BASE started off on the wrong foot. But it's nothing you can't overcome if you want it bad enough. Just get with the program and drop the drama . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

No he is a BASE jumper (I think about 200 jumps). He only has 15 skydives. Get your facts straight.

oops, I made a mistake. I do that.

but I still don't see how that relates to the topic "what happen to the WV girl?" care to connect the dots for me? help me out?

(I agree that hearing is not a pre-requisite for jumping.)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I really don't know the extent her hearing had in having the pass confiscated but misunderstanding happens all the time even among good hearing people. Apparently she had about 50 skydives (the minimum required).

But anyhow, this deaf jumper that many of us know, ironically does not pass the minimum BD skydives requirement because he only has 15. I don't know if they would make a special case because he has about 200 BASE jumps.

Now in defense of Joy there is a little paradox in this whole thing. You need 50 skydives to jump at BD. However no manufacture will lease you BASE gear if you have less than 150 jumps.

Apparently Joy had the skydiving done and she was truthful during her registration (what really counts). If she was misrepresenting her number of jumps to get her hands on safe BASE gear I really would not call her a liar.

Of course she could have just talked to Jason and told him that because her low jump number she cannot rent BASE gear. I bet he would have found a way out.

So Jason what about raising the jump number requirement to the "industry" standard?

One of the reasons my deaf friend was brought up is Joy was saying she couldn't skydive or BASE jump because of her hearing disorder. It's kind of ironic however that he doesn't have the minimum number of skydives to jump at BD even though he has over 200 BASE jumps. I'm sure this would have been considered had he showed up especially since the people who trained/mentored him are rather well known. Even more ironic is he only has 15 jumps because he decided recently to get his A license. Before that he only had 2 or 3...