grounded101

What happen to the WV girl?

Base jumping is NOT skydiving! Stop confusing the two.
Party On!

Why do people continue to say that?It has no real meaning.If it does explain it.What do you mean by that?

This is not about BASE vs.SD. It's about common sense.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

This has been beaten into the ground, and at this point your personal agenda is so obvious that it's hard to see past it to the actual points that you're trying to make.

You and I have had our share of PM exchanges. You seem intent on going after individuals whom you have disagreements with rather than talking about BASE jumping. You made me a promise about how you plan to conduct yourself on here and on that basis we went forward. You've breached that trust many times now, and your time is running out here. This was the last time.

Willem Grobler
Safe swoops
Sangiro

The only thing we're guilty of is, stealing one whole pepperoni pizza and taking it to our room to feed our family.

That's not true. I had two pieces of that pizza, and I'm not even part of your family. :P

Such stealth.:D
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

This is not about BASE vs.SD. It's about common sense.

You don't seem to have much common sense yourself. Quit flinging poo like a spider monkey. Try and give just ONE useful piece of info, a useful suggestion etc......just one.

Is this possible or are you really not capable of anything more than stirring up shit and saying innapropriate things to people who have done a GOOD job??

I look forward to the flow of wisdom from you almighty BASE rigger.....
SabreDave

paraphrased - base is not skydiving, don't confuse the two

Why do people continue to say that?It has no real meaning.If it does explain it.What do you mean by that?

It's glib yes but it kind of does have a meaning in this context. Base_rigger made the comment that when he goes to any new dropzone he has his logbook and license checked before he is allowed to jump from their planes. In the context he is implying that similar checks could or should be made for jumpers at bridge day and is accusing Jason of failing to vet the applicants closely enough and hence is culpable in Brian's death.

What i believe Rambo is saying is simple. Base jumping in essence is the antithesis of skydiving. It's about personal responsibilty and taking control of your own jumps, making your own analysis of the risks and chosing when and where and how you wish to jump. For sure, BASE jumping isn't about logbooks and licences and permissions and control.

But the come back of course will be that Bridge day IS in fact more to do with skydiving - you book a slot, you pay for a ticket, it's legal, you need permission from the organisers who themselves need permission from the authorities - and less to do with BASE - freedom from authority, freedom from restriction etc.

The come back to that would then be that without some form of control there would be no bridge day, so you're right back where you started, which when push comes to shove is really a debate based on : -

1.HOW FAR SHOULD LEGAL BASE EVENT ORGANISERS GO IN VETTING JUMPERS? which raises the question

2. HOW FAR DOWN THE ROAD TO REGULATION DO WE WANT TO GO BEFORE WE SAY ENOUGH? which could then bring about the question

3. DO THESE EVENTS NEGATIVELY IMPACT EVERYDAY STEALTHY BASE BY POPPING US ONTO THE RADAR SCREENS OF THE POWERS THAT BE AND IF SO ARE THEY WORTH IT?

Answers on a post card.

ian

Ok then Jason will be looking forward to you being on staff making sure each and every jumper is qualified and prepared properly to jump. That is great. I know Jason needs the help!

About 50 jumps in the last year as a starting point?

And maybe at least 200 jumps total?
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Why is BASE not SD???(paraphrased)

I've heard this comment several times and it seems pretty simple to me but I'm a BASE jumper and a Skydiver. The closest resemblence in skydiving is a balloon jump. The landing area is not a cleared area with wind indicators and a pre-planned landing pattern. You look from altitude for a reasonable place to land, exit, and deal with the situation. However, you can wait a bit and find a more appropriate place if you'd like. With BASE you pik the exit point and then determine how best to land. You can choose to not jump, but you can't wait a bit and hope the landing area looks better.

Secondly, even from high altititude jumps like Norway and such. I step over the edge on skydives pulling in the 1500' range frequently. Here again I have a known landing area and the only thing that makes a jump like that similar to a BASE jump is a malfunction that puts you at a different altitude and different position in space than you intended. At BD the object is fairly tall, but you're not pulling at that altitude. You're actually waiting until around 400-600 feet which is nothing like a skydive. However you are landing in a predefined landing area with a wind indicator. How many people actually hit that landing area? How many times have there been chase boats in the landing area of your local DZ?

Third is the redundancy. There is very little opportunity for redundant system in BASE. If your packing a BASE canopy and you don't feeel right about the pack job, you repack it. I can't count the number of times I've put my skydiving canopy in the bag sloppy and hoped for the best knowing I had a reserve and the altitude to use it if I needed it.

There are other things, but these three I believe should clarify it for most.

Really? I guess that did not apply in the case of Brian.

About 50 jumps in the last year as a starting point?
And maybe at least 200 jumps total?

Do you have a point? Or are you simply here to snipe at others?

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

If she has 50 something jumps and calls line twists a mal I think it was a good call

Bolding mine:

“I’d pulled the chute at 4,000 feet, and realized there was a malfunction with the tangled cords,” she said. “I started to panic at first and started looking for the handle for my reserve chute. Pulling it then would have been a mistake. But God gave me the strength to make me realize what I needed to do, and helped me do it. I kicked out all nine of the tangled cords and was out of the malfunction at 2,000 feet and fine when I landed. I just started packing my chute and getting ready for the next jump.”

I think this statement definitely prompted investigation. :|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Base jumping is NOT skydiving! Stop confusing the two

In Skydiving, one chooses the "jump".
In BASE, the "jump" chooses you.
take care,
space

>>Why do people continue to say that?It has no real meaning.If it does explain it.What do you mean by that?<<

Hi Spence,

I read about your first trip to Bridge Day this year, congratulations!

However, the above illustrates a serious lack of BASE jumping knowledge. Or you like being a ball buster, I'm not sure which?

If that was your one and only BASE jump, than fine. Now you came down to the BASE zone and spout off for the rest of your life. But, if you want to continue and progress you need to start doing your homework.

I'm a PM away and I'm here for you, brother . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

But, if you want to continue and progress you need to start doing your homework.

Of which, the 1st step is learning to snort salt up your nose and squeeze lemon juice in your eye without flinching.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

They can't print anything in the paper that's not true, right?:S

I can't believe experienced people here are judging her or calling her a retard based on what the media quoted her as saying. That sounds more like a wuffo reporter making up a story than an actual quote from someone with 50 jumps.

I'm sure they had a good reason for not letting her jump, but I doubt if she really said that shit about a malfunction with 9 tangled cords...[:/]

We've all seen reporters misquote people.

base rigger,
please post your name. & location.
there are plenty of us that would like to know it.
blaine

I think your right base rigger how did u gety to be so smart your almost as smartas my dog's duddy
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

almost as smelly?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Cover your own action. 99.9% of the time if you die doing any of this human flight stuff, its on you. Its not the packer, manufacture, weather, organizer, ...

"Just cover your own action"
- Hank Bungay
Track high, Pull LOW!!!