TKATC

First BASE jump at Bridge Day....Addicted now?

Ok...how many first time BASE jumpers are now addicted after jumping Bridge Day? How many discovered BASE is not for them?

I personally can't think of much else and keep planning my next jump over and over. Everything thing I see I am inspecting for a possible jump. I love skydiving and the many aspects of it and will never leave that sport but as somebody said at Bridge Day..."BASE is where it's at!"

There is no doubt that Bridge Day will attract new jumpers to the sport. On the other hand, some will realize it's not for them.

Many jumpers will be excited to provide additional training to you in preparation for your 2nd BASE jump, and others will be upset that their secret sport has yet another member.

Regardless of which path you choose to take in your parachuting career, do what is best for you and for the sport. Listen to those with wisdom and guidance. Ignore those who are negative and hateful. Have fun and be safe. Hopefully I can share an exit point with you somewhere in the future.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Jason,
I have done many things in my life that I am proud of, 10+ years in the US military, Desert Storm, and many other personal endeavors I hold close to my heart.

Bridge Day 2006 was definately a "Highlight". Thank you for the experience.

I did my first 2 at Bridge Day. Water landings on both. :) It was fun, but it felt exactly like a balloon jump for me. I'm kinda undecided if it is worth the risk. If I can get the same feeling (at least to me) from a balloon jump, what's the point. I didn't get ground rush because I was looking out, not down.
If I do decide to continue I'll go out to TF and take the full first course and not just the quickie one they do at BD.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I did my first 2 at Bridge Day. Water landings on both. :) It was fun, but it felt exactly like a balloon jump for me. I'm kinda undecided if it is worth the risk. If I can get the same feeling (at least to me) from a balloon jump, what's the point. I didn't get ground rush because I was looking out, not down.
If I do decide to continue I'll go out to TF and take the full first course and not just the quickie one they do at BD.

:|

Bolas,
absolutely no insult intended, and I commend you for taking the leap! But if your not sure..... walk away now. It's not exactly just about the ground rush or the feeling of the freefall. Base is so much more than that. And you would know without a doubt if you were supposed to be here. Base is a 1/2 moon night with 1 or 2 good friends, a sketchy landing area and a scary exit point. No video or spectators and no one but yourself to make the next call. Base is many things to many people, but it's definatly in you before you ever begin. BSBD my friend.

Base is many things to many people, but it's definatly in you before you ever begin.

If it isn't already, this should be a nugget.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Base is so much more than that. And you would know without a doubt if you were supposed to be here.

amen.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Ha, was thinking the same thing
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Remember to take lots of pics in Africa.:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

it's definatly in you before you ever begin

So true. I talk people into going skydiving all the time. I would never talk someone into BASE. BASE is something you need to decide before you buy. It's one thing to make some jumps off a nice bridge. It's another entirely to be a BASE jumper. No bragging or anything like that, just a realization.

I did my first 2 at BD and am addicted! But then again I have been jumping off of bridges into water since I was a kid. My mom even caught me fixing to jump off our barn with a round parachute I found in a tree!
Sounds like we have similar backgrounds, I'm a D.S. vet and 9 years in the Marines. Bridge day just puts a smile on my face everytime I think of about it, I was jumping for all those guys we lost 10/23/83 in Beirut, "our first duty is to remember"!
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

So true, you and Jennifer have made a dream come true. Thank you for all your hard work, C Ya next year and let me know how I can help.

Thank you Jennifer for being nice and and helping my wife find a good place at the LZ to video my landing! She had a great time!
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

It's not exactly just about the ground rush or the feeling of the freefall. Base is so much more than that. And you would know without a doubt if you were supposed to be here. Base is a 1/2 moon night with 1 or 2 good friends, a sketchy landing area and a scary exit point. No video or spectators and no one but yourself to make the next call. Base is many things to many people, but it's definatly in you before you ever begin. BSBD my friend.

Wow. Well said.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

It's not exactly just about the ground rush or the feeling of the freefall. Base is so much more than that. And you would know without a doubt if you were supposed to be here. Base is a 1/2 moon night with 1 or 2 good friends, a sketchy landing area and a scary exit point. No video or spectators and no one but yourself to make the next call. Base is many things to many people, but it's definatly in you before you ever begin. BSBD my friend.

My thoughts almost exactly. Me and a couple friends were talking about this last night, on the drive back from a jump. People will ask you how you can do this for just a few seconds of fun.

For me it is everything from that few seconds to the people you meet, to the long drives, to the anticipation and well to everything surrounding it.

I really am realizing how much I love this sport, and how much I am really getting out of it.

Well said.

Ok...how many first time BASE jumpers are now addicted after jumping Bridge Day? How many discovered BASE is not for them?

I personally can't think of much else and keep planning my next jump over and over. Everything thing I see I am inspecting for a possible jump. I love skydiving and the many aspects of it and will never leave that sport but as somebody said at Bridge Day..."BASE is where it's at!"

I did two at bridge day. Both dry, standing up and unhurt landings. I furst visted Bridge day my first year of skydiving. I told myself I would be back when I thought that I could base jump. I studied a little over 4 years for a daylight, organized, no tresspassing, as safe as possible base jump. I know there is more to it than that. I plan to do it again, but not like bridge day. After that I will know if I want to continue.

I remember saying after my jumps that day that I could just keep doing this.

Now I have to decide if I want to sell my free fall rig or not.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Don't sell that skyjumping rig!!!!! how else are you gonna learn to fly a wingsuit? ;) And besides, smoking it dirty low at the dz is still my favorite way to stir up shit. almost as good as posting pictures of tagged basesites on DorkZone.com :P

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Don't sell that skyjumping rig!!!!! how else are you gonna learn to fly a wingsuit? ;) And besides, smoking it dirty low at the dz is still my favorite way to stir up shit. almost as good as posting pictures of tagged basesites on DorkZone.com :P

I don't know about learning wing suiting yet. I'm not so sure I'm a big fan of the winfsuit community in florida anyway. I only met like three of them. I'm pretty sure someone helped me with that situation. As the prop turns:D

Smoking it low. two weekends ago I stirred up shit with the S&TA one or two fo the instructors told me I wasn't base jumping at the DZ.

call me a newbie but is a tagged base site a place that is watched so that base jumpers won't go there? I wouln't know the lingo since I haven't been a base jumper.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

smoking it dirty low at the dz

That's just crazy. :)

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why